Growling at Feeding Time...

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farmer Steve

Reaction score
When I feed my rabbit her pellet food she gets really aggressive, growls, and nips me. She even charges at me as soon as she knows I have a handful of pellets. This behavior is only happening recently though. I've only had her since Christmas, but since then she's pretty much bonded to me. I know she feels comfortable around me. She's a great rabbit, but is there any way I can deter this behavior?

I don't know what others will have to say, but I've dealt with dogs who've been food aggressive before. All you do is hand feed them, food in your palm, palm up. The only way they get the food is if they take it nicely. I don't know how you would translate that into bunny food aggression, though. I've seen some people clicker training their rabbits and using their meals for rewards, so you could even try that.

By chance are you rustling the bag before feeding time? Is it possible that you could remove her from her cage or pen, put the food in and then put her in her cage?

I usually ignore the grunting as it's a territorial/dominance thing, but the biting is troublesome. The first question is whether it's nipping or biting. Nipping pinches the skin but doesn't do any real damage. Biting can be painful and bloody. Usually in the past if I have had one get too cage aggressive, I treat them like an Alpha rabbit would and pin them when they would bite. Usually only had to do it a few times as you need to be able to reach in without getting bit and attacked--cleaning, feeding, etc. Finally, is your bunny neutered? That helps moderate their behavior immensely.

As soon as I open the closet I keep the food in, she jumps in her cage if she already isn't there, pokes out her head, and looks for my hand to bite. I'm sure I can grab the bowl before I open the closet or whatever. I'm more concerned about what is the cause for all this. She's definitely not starving. I dunno?

So far no blood, but it does not feel good. It's not a "hey whatsup buddy" bite. They're angry bites. I believe the only reason I haven't needed a band-aid is that I tend to jerk my hand away before she can sink-in.

I'm sorry, I don't know what to tell you.

But I do find it hilarious that her name is Nibbles. >.<

I assume you are still giving her the pellets even though she is acting this way? This is really just rewarding the behaviour. You need to stop the reward and even add something she doesn't like. I would not give her the pellets when she acts that way, if she has hay/veggies she isn't going to starve. You can sit near the cage with the pellets until she calms down, then give her some. A stern No can help as well so she knows that it is not acceptable behaviour. If she gets aggressive again, take them away. If you are consistent, she should stop the behaviour as she is not getting what she wants.

Rabbits do take advantage of us and we do let them get away with it. You do need to teach them that some behaviour is not good and some is.

Wearing heavy gloves when you do go into the cage can help. If she does attack, you don't feel it as much which means you can keep your hand in there. This helps with cage aggression as they figure out that attacking you won't get them what they want (you out of the cage).

Thanks that's good advice. I have experience w/ dogs, but rabbits are so different in so many ways. And I just don't know sometimes... I love this animal, but I don't speak rabbit.

Sounds like you need to show her who is boss. Pinning her a few times firmly does help aggressive behavior. And Nancy is definitely right about the spaying. Sexual maturity not only leads to a more territorial rabbit, she is also extremely vulnerable to getting uterine cancer and UTIs. Spay spay spay = yay Yay YAY!

She just bit the crap out of me... I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I have a four year old daughter, and I will not have an animal in my home that I'm afraid of. From what I've read, most of you seem to have docile rabbits. From day one this bunny has been hyper, but now the aggression is getting to be too much. I don't have $500 to spend on spaying right now. So... I don't know. I'l try pinning her AGAIN, but if that doesn't work...

uggg... That was the pain talking. I need to be a little more patient w/ Nibbles I guess. This bunny is such an enigma for me. :pullhair:

When Beelzebunny was aggressive like that,I would sit in front of her cage, with the door open and let her come to me. I would have greens, fresh parsley, etc. when she would come out, I would scratch her nose and she loved that. If she did come out, I would take a long piece of hay and stick it in front of her, it was like a game, she would nip it off and toss. She would also toss pine cones and twigs at me, I would hand them back (cautiously cause she was vicious at times) and she would toss it at me again, it seemed to be a game. I would only give her fresh pellets,water and hay once she left the cage.

Beelza was particularly nasty when she was pregnant. She was radically calmer once she had her kits. She was a nasty thing in the beginning, my 6 y/o son named her Cutie, because she was so foul, my dh renamed her Beelzebunny after some devil or something, beelzbub. I loved her dearly and felt I earned her love and respect in the short time I had her.

Farmer Steve wrote:
I'l try pinning her AGAIN, but if that doesn't work...

I don't think it's a good idea with her. It is not a behavioral problem, in this case. It is a hormone problem.

Bubbles is about 5 months old now and waiting 1 more month before she gets spayed. She has already begun to exhibit mood swings, although she's still a doll. She grunts more now and nipped me lightly today when I tried to remove her from digging a corner in the bathroom. She is trying to build a nest since she is experiencing a false pregnancy by Eli. :p

Eli is a shelter bunny who initially would paw and growl whenever I reached for him. I realized the reason was because he was scared. His history was that he came from a home where 2 other male bunnies were caged with him and they were not kind to him. He must have had his food stolen many times and gotten nipped for all sorts of things. It was natural for him to defend constantly. But after I hand-fed him and showed him I meant to pet him rather than hurt him, he has changed dramatically over a month. He does not paw or growl at me anymore. However, he is neutered.

Perhaps you can call the local shelter and ask for recommendations on an affordable vet near you who is experienced with rabbits and save up slowly for the spaying. Spaying female rabbits is so important. Females are extremely prone to uterine cancer and UTIs. Once it passes the 2 year mark, it may be too late. Get her spayed when you can. My local shelter found me a much cheaper deal from a very experienced vet nearby.

Thanks guys. I've decided to find a vet to get her spayed. I really want to keep nibs. She's a great animal with a great personality, and she's one of the family. I didn't want her at all when she was given to my daughter for Christmas (by my idiot brother-in-law... without asking), but I love that rabbit now. (I think more than my daughter) Thank you for sharing your experiences with me. I don't feel like Nibs is so different. She's a little better today anyway.

how old is she? Part of the aggression may be hormons. You stated she needs fixed so if she's at an age where she feels SHE NEEDS bred, this will make some tempers fly.but you relaly need to crack down on it because it's not an excuse. I've too many brood does over the years to count, and none of them behaved in such a mannor. But you can't show them you're afraid of them.

I would feed her elsewhere. Forget feeding her in the cage. Leave her bowl outside the cage in YOUR territory.

And to make it easier on you now, if you can pick her up and carry her with no problem. Carry her around while your getting food and stuff. This will totally throw her off from her normal routine. If after you get feed if she's trying to get out of your arms hold her, and keep her held until she calms down. Being calm is what you're looking to do, her reward for doing so will be to get her feed.

For the spaying check with local bunny rescues. Some do low cost spay / alterings and if they don't they will probably know a good vet. Plus if the shelter sends their bunnies there then the vet has probably done TONS of rabbits so they have the experience. I thought I paid a small mint at $150 for my girl, but even then the money goes to a shelter.

Sorry, just to clarify, she's biting you when you put your hand in her cage to fill/pick up the bowl?

That's pretty classic territorial girl behaviour. It's great your planning to spay her in future and that should help a lot. In the mean time, the best option is to avoid creating the situation where the aggression occurs.

For example, you could fill up a bowl, put it down outside the cage, then let her out to eat. Or if you want to bowl in the cage, call her out give her a small amount of food to distract her and then fill the bowl in the cage.

Taking away the bowl is another option, you could replace it by scattering the food so that she doesn't have a particular spot to be aggressive over.

The important thing is breaking the current routine you have and making sure aggression never gets her what she wants.

I would also warn your daughter about putting her hands in the cage generally. Any aggression is most likely to take place there and calling her out of the cage should help avoid problems.

Thanks again everyone. I've changed the routine around a little bit. She now gets fed outside the cage, mostly. I like the idea about picking her up, but she's always hated being picked up... to the point of fighting for her life. I may start feeding her on the hardwood floors. She always to stay on the rug or the carpet in my daughter's room. She feels more at ease if she can bound away quickly... she peels out on the hardwood (no traction). I don't like the idea of pinning her anymore. She is just more afraid of me, and it doesn't seem to do any good. I'm realizing it's not going to be a quick fix... I am hoping spaying her does some good though. Thanks again everyone for the advise. It's much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back