Growing Veggies & Flowers for the Rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I plan to give the bunnies Raspberry and apple leaves. They also LOVE apple wood! They get pieces everyday!

As for the poo, do I just mix it right in? Or how to I go about using it? :p

Thanks for the tips!

Yay! I got some stuff planted to start indoors! :D
I have it by a window but the sunlight is not on them 12 hours a day. I'm wondering if I should put a light by them also?

(should I start a new thread in the "Let Your Hare Down" for gardening help?)

Yes, if you start seeds indoors, they should preferably have a light over them. You can use regular fluorescent lights if you don't have the special grow-lights. "Daylight" bulbs would probably work too.
You can give them 14-16 hours of light.

Thanks! I'll set something up tomorrow.

I already see green little plants popping up but it seems early... like weeds. Maybe not though? I don't know so I haven't touched it! Just happy something is growing! :p

Some seeds sprout pretty fast, especially indoors. Though one day is maybe a bit too fast :). What are you growing Boz?
If you still have the seed packets, they should tell you when the first seedlings will sprout up.

Well lets see...
Right now I have a several things growing and several things to still plant! This will be interesting if I can grow all this but I think I'll have fun and it gives me something that's outdoors to do! (I'm loving the warm weather right now!) :biggrin2:

Planted April 12th, 2009:
Chives (Common)
Oregano
Spearmint
Sunflower (Mammoth)
Parsley (Triple Curled)
Kohlrabi
Cucumber (Straight Eight)
Cucumber (Boston Pickling)

Planting Today or This weekend:
Marigold (Petite Yellow)
Aster (Crego Mixed Colors)
Sweet Basil

Planting Sometime (can these be started in little pots/plastic-things and moved later?)
Lettuce (Lollo Rossa)
Lettuce (Black-Seeded Simpson)
Endive (Green Curled Ruffec)
Lettuce (Parris Island (Romaine))

Can you tell me any info on each of them that you personally know? Like what have you noticed that they like, how do they grow, how fast they grow, etc? :biggrin2:

Hi Boz, since I live in California, our climate is quite different from yours, so things may grow differently here too.
For instance, I doubt you'll have carrots or lettuces growing in late fall and early winter, or even all winter long. I hope someone who ids familiar with gardening in your region can help you out on that.

Generally though, most vegetables like a lot of sun, at least 6-8 hours per day. Though again, here in the south, my lettuces and herbs don't mind shade for half the day, especially in summer. Others like chervil, lovage and salad burnet grow in mostly shade.
Actually, I've never been able to keep lettuce alive very long here. They always flower and go to seed much too fast.
Herbs on the other hand grow like crazy.

You know that bunnies can't have chives, right? Those are only for human use. They can have everything else on your list I think, though I'm not sure about aster, I'd have to looke that up.

You can definitely start the lettuces in little pots and transplant later, any of the others too.

Be careful where you plant the mint, it can take over your whole garden. Best to put it somewhere confined. Oregano can do the same thing. My Greek Oregano is trying to take over the herb garden, and the lawn too, lol.

To prolong the life of your basil, try to pick off the flowers as soon as they appear. You can feed them to your bunnies too. It will also make your plants grow more bushy, especially if you pick one or two sets of leaves along with the flowers.

Good luck with your garden :)

Latest posts

Back