Growing a vegetable garden for my rabbits (and guinea pigs)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellexgix

Reaction score
I've decided to grow a guinea pig (and rabbit) veggie garden.

Im also from Ireland so temperture is different here than there.

Now I'm not the ''green fingers' sort of person, tbh I don't have a clue where to start, the only thing I have grown is wheetgrass in a tray inside LOL. But I'm going to give it a go and hopefully it will work out. Knowing me, I'll prob try it and nothing to grow
icon_razz.gif

So more than likely I think I'll just grow it in large pots. As if its on the ground my dogs and other wild animals here can easily get to it. Plus I'd just find it a whole lot easier in the pots/boxes. I have space to put the pots either ina lot of sun or about the side of my house in sheltered place. Also can use the window sills inside too.

The veggies my piggys and buns eat are the following: Romaine lettuce, redleaf lettuce, parsely, corriander, basil, green/yellow/red bell pepper, brocoli, spinich, celery, sage, thyme, carrots, carrot tops, bok choi, brussel sprouts, parsnips, mint, apple, kiwi, blue berries, strawberries, Cucumber, tomatoes, kale.. thats all I can think of atm, but a couple of them arent fed regulary just change it about every so often.

So I would love to grow some of them and some new things too. Maybe some things that are sort of hard to find in the shops. Also want to grow some dandelions as I know there so common and easy to find and grow everywhere but might as well have some ones that I know no other animals have been at. Since Im growing other things I might aswell grow dandelions aswell.

Im unsure of how much veggies I will be growing but a good bit as with three rabbits, four piggys who get fed veggies twice a day they do eat a good bit..
icon_porc.png

So ideas and help needed

I'm not a great gardner, but I do grow a few things.
The lettuce, strawberries, and brocoli are cool weather crops. You want to put them in early spring. The peppers, herbs and tomatoes like the ground warm before they are started. Carrots need VERY loose soil or they end up just tiny little stubs. I tend to like them that way so I can give the tiny carrot with huge tops to the rabbits.

I suggest you find a gardning guide for your area. Books focused on the local seasons are helpful because they can tell you when to plant etc. In general the more sun the better though.

Good luck! Fresh picked produce tastes so much better :)

MiniLopHop wrote:
I'm not a great gardner, but I do grow a few things.
The lettuce, strawberries, and brocoli are cool weather crops. You want to put them in early spring. The peppers, herbs and tomatoes like the ground warm before they are started. Carrots need VERY loose soil or they end up just tiny little stubs. I tend to like them that way so I can give the tiny carrot with huge tops to the rabbits.

I suggest you find a gardning guide for your area. Books focused on the local seasons are helpful because they can tell you when to plant etc. In general the more sun the better though.

Good luck! Fresh picked produce tastes so much better :)

Thank you very much:)

I actually dont mind the carrots being small, I just want the big tops more than the actual carrot.

So would lettuce, strawberries and brocoli want to be planted now then?

I'm not sure how your weather is there. I am going to plant this weekend with the pots being in an unheated sunroom, but outside is still too cold. We have snow on the ground.

It isnt that cold, today was so warm and its ment to be like that for a while..

BTW could any mod move this over to the general rabbit chat section?

Latest posts

Back