Grooming

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usagi_Chan

Reaction score
I haven't been on in a while so I'm making several posts to share what I've learned lately.

My house has been getting filled with shed hair. I tried to brush Thumper and Pegasus with several different combs and brushes and still there was hair everywhere. Finally I gave in and spent the big bucks for a furminator:

41P7YH32NJL._AA280_.jpg

In my opinion these are WAY overpriced. This comb is actually one of the cutting blades used on electric hair clippers that is then mounted in a handle. They're about $30 but you can get a used one from Amazon or Ebay for less... however watch the shipping cost because it could cost more than buying one locally.

This by far is the best thing I've ever tried. My apartment no longer has a layer of shed hair everywhere. At first I brushed Thumper and Pegasus every day but now every other day is enough.

Another thing I learned: I used to chase Pegasus, brush one stroke, chase again, brush another stroke, chase again, brush another stroke, etc.... I'd bet some onf you already know this drill. Now I take him in another room where I have a chest freezer. I spread a towel over it and plunk him down. Now he actually purrs (grinds his teeth) and loves it. How did this happen? I started brushing then bribing him with a few pellets. Pretty soon he associated brushing with treats. Now I bribe him a few times during the grooming and he loves being groomed. It's amazing what one small trick can do. I've been clicker training my bunnies and this is what gave me the idea of treating them while I brush.

Thumper as you might imagine is not as impressed with any bribes. She will stay on the freezer but I have to chase her from one end to the other as I brush her. She's just a hyper bunny in dire need of bunny Ridlin.

Usagi_Chan

Great!! I use something like the furminator as well and I also do your trick of taking them into a different room or putting them up on a table or some other area that can't get away from. After their initial indignation, my guys actually start to enjoy the grooming like your.

Great post!

:goodjob

Nadia

Latest posts

Back