Grooming tips for really matted fur needed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amethystkytten

Reaction score
The first thing I noticed about her hair was that it has large mats in it and the mats are all over her back and one closer to the front of her neck.She lets me brush her and I have snipped a few of the smaller mats out but some are so bad that its like giant blanket and the spots where she is grooming herself there is an area where skin is showing the mats are terrible. I feel horrible when i pet her and feel them I know combing is hard because their skin is delicate but what else can I do?The breeder who brought her into the pet store said she was not able to brush her as much and brought into the store like this!(I would be embarrassed to bring a pet in to sell in this condition) Regardless of the mats I still fell for this bunny maybe the condition of her fur made me want to take her home even more. I have heard shaving might be the only way to save it how do I go about this and how long before the fur grows back? Do I shave just where the mats are?

I have a little trick that I use but I don't if it'll work for your bun as I don't know how bad the matting is. Brush out loose hair for awhile then snip a small portion of a mat off and begin brushing it. It should start loosing up and you'll find a lot of dead hair coming out with it. Saves a majority of the coat and if it's noticeable you can snip it all down the same size with less fur waiting time. Every rabbit is different when it comes to growing fur back I've had one take about two months for stubble to start on a small portion of where one of my bucks had surgery but you won't be shaving down to the skin do it shouldn't take long a few months I would say.

It really can depend on how bad the matting it. Some can be carefully cut out with scissors, but others have to be shaved out. I do prefer to shave them out and it is a bit safer.
I would not recommend shaving them if you don't have experience using clippers. Rabbits do have thin skin, so it is easier to cut them. The matting does make things a lot harder as well. Finding a groomer who really knows rabbits, a breeder, or a rabbit vet are all good options.

How long it takes to grow back and depend on the rabbit. My English Angora grows quickly, so it can be 1 inch or so a month. Other rabbits don't grown back as fast. It can be tied to a moult cycle, so can be a few months before they moult out and grow a nice coat back.

For some small mats I separate the fur then trim. We had a small ball size one on my girl when we got her. And I was able to trim. Depends on how much the rabbit fidgets whether to clip or trim. My girl hates butt trims. Anywhere else she's good. So depends on the bun. Plus I have a lionhead not an Angora. But brushing is a weekly exercise here. So be prepared for it as well.

We have been brushing everyday! Most of the mats on her back are coming out nicely but there are two large ones by the back of her front legs that are so matted the fur is pulling away and you can see skin.I have been clipping then with scissors and combing them while running my fingers through her fur.I think for these two spots I may have to just get her shaved

Snip the top off the mats and lightly brush as much loose as you can, her skin looks at tad red so it's pulling on her. This might not bring out the entire knot but it'll release that nasty pull a bit.

Latest posts

Back