Grooming Rabbit's Stomach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellie

Reaction score
I'm just wondering, do you need to brush your rabbit's stomach? I am assuming that the answer is yes... but Buster is going through a pretty bad molt right now (it's my first time with a bunny molting - it's insane!)
I can pick off big clumps of hair from him, and could brush him for hours and would still get hair... It just concerns me, because I can't get to his stomach. He HATES being picked up, so I am really worried about lying him on his back. I know he's just going to freak out (A from being picked up, and B from being in a new position.) I don't want to hurt him or make him too scared.

I just worry that he's going to clog himself up from grooming himself. Does anybody have any suggestions? I would wet my hands and put it under him to remove some of the hair, but he hates my hands under him because he thinks I'm going to pick him up.

Thanks!!

You can try putting him on a table and having him on top of a towel (for traction). Put one hand under his chest (around his front legs) and lift up his front while keeping his back legs on the table. This should give you move access to his belly without freaking him out too much. You may need to just get him used to it before you try brushing. You could try it on the floor, but it could become more of an issue if he were to get away from you. Doing it in a pen might work better.

Nancy McClelland wrote:
Or you can get him used to shorts periods of being handled.

Wish it was that easy :(
Any time I put my hand under him to pick him up he takes off and is on the other side of the room before I know it.
I have been trying though!

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll see if I can get him so I can put him on the table. :pray:

Latest posts

Back