grooming long haired rabbits with electric clippers?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvthempigs

Reaction score
Thought I might get more replies in this forum with this question.

Does anyone here use electric clippers on their long hair rabbits who need to be groomed? If so, Do you suggest getting the bunny familiarized with the sound and feel of the clippers before actually trying to clip them?

I used to clip my horses with no fear of hurting them but now the thoughts of clipping my fuzzy lop kinda scare me. She needs to have the hair on her bottom and the bottoms of her feet to be clipped. So far I have been using a small pair of scissors even though I bought a brand new pair of dog clippers. I have been afraid to use them on her.

Any tips would be appreciated :)

I use clippers on my angoras. They don't seem to have an issue with the clippers and mostly just want to explore everything, so getting them to sit still can be a bit of a challenge.

Rabbit wool is very different than dog fur. It is much thicker (at least on my giant angora), so it is harder on the clippers. Just doing the belly area and feet should be ok. You do need a sharp blade so you can actually cut the wool.

It would be good to get the rabbit used to the grooming area and being on their back so you can clip the area. A rabbit who fights you is more likely to get nicked. You can see how they react to the sound of the clippers while on their back and work with them to get used to it and stay calm.

Back