Grooming/Licking: Love or comuplsive behavior?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My 3/4 month old doe, Rue, loves nothing more than to just sit and groom my husband and I. She seems happy; plays, eats, binkies, flops and does all the normal, mischievous things a young bun likes to do. But, if given the opportunity she will plop herself on or around us and go to town licking...and licking...and licking! I wasn't sure if this amount of licking is her showing us affection or like in cats, a possible sign of anxiety? She doesn't seem to be anxious, but I am am wondering if it is a kind of compulsive behavior or serves as a stress reliever for her?

My previous buns would groom me but would stop after a handful of seconds. When Rue is in "grooming mode" I have to distract her or move her so that she stops grooming. If I had to approximate a time period I would say these grooming sessions last anywhere from 10-20 minutes, with me distracting her multiple times to take a break from the tongue lashing:spintongue Her favorite spot to groom us is our faces, and when we are on the couch she will perch herself on our chest/shoulder and go to town. I'm not complaining, I love her bunny kisses! I just wanted to check to see if any of you have experienced this type of behavior in bunnies.

Thank you!
Kay and Rue

My bun is very similar! I've never actually timed her because I usually distract her after about 60 seconds anyway. Mine loves my legs, it's summer here in Australia so I'm always in shorts and she will just keep licking my legs until I stop her. I think it's normal... Our buns must just really love us!

My bun is very similar! I've never actually timed her because I usually distract her after about 60 seconds anyway. Mine loves my legs, it's summer here in Australia so I'm always in shorts and she will just keep licking my legs until I stop her. I think it's normal... Our buns must just really love us!

Glad Rue is'nt the only super licky bun! Sometime she gets pretty adamant about getting her mommy-bunbun grooming time in. She waits for me on the couch:bunnyheart. Maybe they think we need a serious bath?! lol

Back