Greetings from South Carolina!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lydia

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
It would seem that I have the distinction of being one of the few who posts in this intro section that is not a first time bunny parent. I first got some bunnies a year ago, but a lot can happen in a year! :)

My name is Lydia, and I live in South Carolina. My husband and I have the unfortunate distinction of having 38 bunnies. We love them all however, and look forward to having bunnies for many years.

I suppose a bit of explanation is in order, so here it goes!

Last year, in June, we decided to attend an animal auction out of curiosity and the hope that we might find a pet bunny. My husband had attended the auction in the past (back when he lived in the country and raised chickens), so he thought it would be a good bet for finding a rabbit. Long story short, we indeed found a rabbit. We found 2 little black bunnies, Mini Rex's, that were about 6 to 8 weeks old (as we would later discover). I had never had a rabbit before, and my husband had only ever had larger adult rabbits of non-dwarf breeds. We were unsure how to check gender, and so for awhile we thought we must have just bought two females. Needless to say, we were wrong.

We would later discover, when it was too late, that we indeed had a male & female. We named them Fred & Ethel (after the characters from I Love Lucy). We discovered in late October that Ethel was most likely pregnant (that also led to the discovery of their true genders). We foolishly kept them together, thinking that Fred would help Ethel with any babies. Obviously we knew little about rabbit behavior, so please forgive this glaring faux pas. :)

On 1 Nov 2011, Ethel gave birth to her first litter. We did not realize she had given birth at first, because we could not find any evidence in their hutch of babies. Once again, we foolishly kept them together thinking she was still pregnant. 3 days later, Ethel was becoming increasingly agitated so we removed her from the hutch with Fred, worrying that infanticide might have happened since we still didn't see any sign of babies. On an after thought, my husband removed a small box that was in the hutch that we had already checked for babies, and placed it in a separate enclosure with her. That's when we discovered she had indeed had babies! It turned out that she had had 7 babies, 5 girls and 2 boys. We later figured out their birth date based on behavior we had witnessed from her.

Unfortunately, those 3 days with Fred after giving birth would come back to bite us in the butt. On 3 Dec 2011, Ethel gave birth to her second litter of babies. This time she had 6 babies, 5 boys and 1 girl.

So we ended up with 15 bunnies fairly quickly!

Obviously we kept Fred away from Ethel after all that. Fred even helped raise the 1st litter while Ethel was away taking care of the 2nd litter.

At first we tried to sell or adopt out some of the babies, but were unable to find homes for them that didn't sound questionable. We ended up keeping them, and by keeping them in separate pens on our large sun porch had a very happy arrangement for awhile. Then "The Incident" happened.

In late March 2012, Twinkle, one of the boys from the first litter, managed to find his way into the girls pen. He had way too much fun doing some adult activities with his sisters, unfortunately making 5 out 6 of them pregnant.

Those 5 girls would go on to have a combined total of 22 babies.

Around that time we moved the boy bunnies into a new bachelor pad (converted dog run) in the back yard. Unfortunately, before all of them were moved Fred and Twinkle once again busted open a different hutch (that we had been calling Fort Knox), and Ethel and Cinnamon (one of the girls from the first litter) ended up pregnant.

In early May, a mysterious illness slowly killed some of the babies, 6 in all, leading to a very tough time for both of us. I held 5 of those babies when they died, something that has been a very emotional experience for me. Even our vet couldn't fully tell us what exactly killed the babies.

Thankfully, the surviving bunnies are happy and healthy.

On 25 May 2012, Ethel and Cinnamon had their babies. Ethel had 3, and Cinnamon had 5. Sadly one of Ethel's babies died a few days later, the first in nest infant death we had ever had.

I know this must sound like some sort of weird, twisted hillbilly drama involving bunnies by now.

As you can see, we never willingly bred our bunnies. We made some mistakes along the way, but we love each and every bunny we have and do our best to enrich their lives. We hope to get most of the babies adopted out to loving homes very soon.

I really hope I can find some fellow Mini Rex lovers and friends here!

We hope maybe one day become involved with showing bunnies. That way, we can share our beautiful bunnies with the world!

Thanks for your time!

Welcome to RO!

Wow, lots of bunnies. But it does happen. Bunnies are escape artists and a boy bunny will "havehis way" with any girl bunny he can find.

Not a Mini Rex owner, but I do have Lion heads, Polish, Netherland Dwarfs. Plus lots of good people here that do have Mini Rexes and lots of people here who have had "oopsey" pregnancies too.

Look forward to hearing more about all your bunnies. You should definitely look in to showing. Lots of good bunny people.

K:)

Wow. An amazing story and lots of bunnies!! I only have one bunny. She's a lionhead. But ironically I saw a sweet mini Rex bun at a rescue league in our area a couple days ago. I wanted to take her home so bad! But hubby says only one bun. Anyway, she was the cutest and sweetest thing.

Would love to see pics of your buns. And welcome to RO!

Welcome! What a story! When you mentioned the number at first I had thought maybe you were just a breeder, but now I see lol, stuff like that happens and all you can do is learn from it. If you felt overwhelmed with placing them you can always contact a local rescue who can help you with placing the babies. Petfinder is a great way to relocate some of them.

I have two bunnies. I keep them separate because one is a male and one is female. I do intend on breeding just once then afterwards its snippy snippy time lol

Pictures are in store! :)

melbaby80 wrote:
Welcome! What a story! When you mentioned the number at first I had thought maybe you were just a breeder, but now I see lol, stuff like that happens and all you can do is learn from it. If you felt overwhelmed with placing them you can always contact a local rescue who can help you with placing the babies. Petfinder is a great way to relocate some of them.

I have two bunnies. I keep them separate because one is a male and one is female. I do intend on breeding just once then afterwards its snippy snippy time lol

Made me chuckle at"oh just a breeder". Like it's a nasty word. Gee I always thought,evenbreeding rabbits onetime, on purpose,makes you a breeder.Oh well.

Good for you Lydia, for taking such good care of all those rabbits. Just be careful which rescue you send your bunnies to. Some are reputable, but some aren't. Like anything in life.

ZRabbits wrote:
melbaby80 wrote:

Made me chuckle at"oh just a breeder". Like it's a nasty word. Gee I always thought,evenbreeding rabbits onetime, on purpose,makes you a breeder.Oh well.

Good for you Lydia, for taking such good care of all those rabbits. Just be careful which rescue you send your bunnies to. Some are reputable, but some aren't. Like anything in life.

Umm you took it the wrong way if you thought I meant it as a "nasty word". My statement was in reference to the amount of bunnies she has it was never to insult or anything of the sort. You made me chuckle to think you would take such a simple phrase and turn it into something more :grumpy:...

And you DON'T have to give your rabbits up to a rescue, they CAN assist you in finding homes for them. "If you felt overwhelmed with placing them you can always contact a local rescue who can help you with placing the babies"

^^^^I really didnt take Melissa's comment of just a breeder to be a negative remark. I think she just assumed a breeder would normally be the explanation for why someone would have 38 rabbits. Not that it was a bad thing at all.

Anyway, that's how i took it.....just my 2 cents....:)

melbaby80 wrote:
ZRabbits wrote:
melbaby80 wrote:

Umm you took it the wrong way if you thought I meant it as a "nasty word". My statement was in reference to the amount of bunnies she has it was never to insult or anything of the sort. You made me chuckle to think you would take such a simple phrase and turn it into something more :grumpy:...

And you DON'T have to give your rabbits up to a rescue, they CAN assist you in finding homes for them. "If you felt overwhelmed with placing them you can always contact a local rescue who can help you with placing the babies"
Didn't think you insulted. You assumed she was a breeder. There are many people out there with lots of bunnies that aren't breeders. That's why I chuckled. Glad you had a chuckle too.

And to most rescues, breeding is becoming a "nasty" word. You should do some research on what certainrescues and animal rights groups are doing to breeders. Whole new ball game now a daysbecause rabbits are truly begining considered livestock.

Regarding assistance with rescues, better check to see what their individual policies are onhelping. Some rescues will confiscate all rabbits, if they feel they must. Under their terms. Just a heads up.

I have been affiliated with rescue for many years. I also have people that I consider good friends that are breeders. The words "rescue" and "breeder" CAN be mentioned in the same sentence. Private rescues do not, under any circumstances, confiscate rabbits. At least none that I have ever heard of.

Hello Everyone! Thank you so much for the overwhelming response! I feel truly welcomed. It is so refreshing to talk with other rabbit enthusiasts, especially ones who don't think I'm odd or crazy for having so many bunnies.

Karen (ZRabbits), thank you especially for jumping to my aid. I know that Melissa didn't mean it negatively, but some people definitely view breeders as some sort of vile creature. Obviously I'm not a breeder, but because of the amount of rabbits we have people seem to think we must be breeding rabbits intentionally. Recently, I was even unjustly thrown off another bunny site because they assumed I must be a breeder, without hearing my story or asking me any questions.

All of the pets we have have originated from some sort of rescue situation, so the negative association of being a breeder (like we are running a puppy mill or something)was a bit hurtful. I have no ill will towards breeders or rescue groups however, as long as the animals involved are in a loving, humane environment.

Thank you all for the warm welcome! I look forward to cultivating many friendships here. It doesn't matter if you have Mini Rex's or not, I look forward to spending time talking with you all and sharing our love of bunnies.

Here are some pictures of some of our bunnies! The pictures are a bit dated, most of them dating from November and December of last year. I promise to post new pictures soon!

Our Bunnies:

Fred
(Taken when he was visiting his first litter of babies in Nov. 2011)
ddtBcyQI_CyGHZAgjkWTLqkMbsYwvo-S7m723Qswmj0
2011-11-19%252011.06.02.jpg

Ethel
(Taken when she was hanging out with her babies in a laundry basket after Fred's visit in Nov. 2011)
2011-11-19%252011.00.32.jpg

Yay! Another Mini Rex lover!

Here are some pictures of Fred & Ethel's first litter, taken in December 2011 when they were just about 1 month old.

The First Litter:

Augusta
(Named as such because she is a real bossy britches. Before we knew she was a girl, we had been calling her Caesar.)

2011-12-20%252020.20.41.jpg

Twinkle
(The extremely naughty bunny that would grow up to one day cause a major incident with his sisters. He takes after his father)

2011-12-20%252020.22.05.jpg

Ramona
(A sweet bunny, but has grown up to become just as bossy as her sister Augusta)

2011-12-20%252020.25.51.jpg

Cinnamon
(Our first brown bunny! She was the first baby we ever named, and a silly bunny with an attitude to boot. )

2011-12-20%252020.27.06.jpg

Freddie
(Named after his father. Before we knew their genders, Freddie, Ramona, and Augusta were referred to as "The Three Fred's" and "The Three Amigos". )

2011-12-20%252020.29.33.jpg

Dora
(Originally known as Little Ethel, Dora very much takes after her mother. She loves to climb things and explore, which led to her name.)

2011-12-20%252020.31.01.jpg

Nova
(The runt of the litter. Nova is one of the sweetest bunnies we have. She is best friends with Luna, the runt from the second litter that is also solid black.)

2011-12-20%252020.32.47.jpg

All these baby pictures were taken around Christmas as you can see. I promise to post more up to date pictures very soon!

Dora is adorable! Love her little white paw.

Thanks for understanding that I meant no insult to you at all. I have no issues with people breeding their rabbits. I intend on breeding too.

As for rescue's I do know some will offer to help you place your animals in homes if you're having trouble yourself. I've seen it done without having to surrender any animal. Your babies are beautiful and look well taken care of, I doubt any rescue would want to take them away from you! :) Looking forward to more pictures!! :)

@ lisa, thanks!

Thanks for sharing the pics of Fred and Ethel and their family tree! Fred is really stunning. I like his coloring and markings. My Dobby has, what I call. that Marten look, like your Fred. Lighter color around the eyes and under the chin. And can't forget the white mustache. Ethel with those blue eyes and white smudge on her nose. They truly made some pretty babies.

Look forward to hearing stories of your bunnies and definitely would like to see pics of how all they look now. Especially Luna. I have a Luna too. My only girl. She's a hoot!

K :)

Cuties! I Love Dora! My very first and only other bun was a black bunny with one white paw that looked aLOT like her! Named Licorice. Awww makes me miss my first bun! :)

As promised, here are some more pictures! I took these on Sunday night, so they are very recent. I apologize it took so long to get these posted!

These pictures feature our girl bunnies and their babies. I don't have a new one of Ethel, but I will get one soon. She really hasn't changed too much since the picture I posted of her that was taken in November. She has gained weight however.

The Bunny Girls:

Augusta
The Original Bossy Bunny

2012-06-09%252019.28.55_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252019.29.56_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

JcTHnivYsRar4uJ4ULGljKkMbsYwvo-S7m723Qswmj0
2012-06-09%252019.30.11_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Dora
The bunny that has grown up to have one of the biggest fur ruffs of them all.

2012-06-09%252019.21.22_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252019.26.30_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252019.22.35_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Ramona
Our sweet yet ever sassy silly bun bun.

2012-06-09%252019.32.02_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252019.32.16_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252019.32.33_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

"I refuse to stand for this anymore!" *Death Glare*

Nova & Luna
If you didn't know better, you would think they were twins! Nova and Luna are both the runt of their litters, solid black, and extremely sweet. They are best buddies, and can often be seen snuggling up together along with their babies.
Luna is the one on the left, Nova on the right. Nova is a little less shy than Luna, and slightly bigger too.

2012-06-09%252021.05.56_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.06.15_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.06.29_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

A rather amusing action shot. My husband was helping me with the bunnies as I took the photos, and Nova decided to sit on Luna half way through their photo shoot. The look on Luna's face is priceless!

2012-06-09%252021.06.38_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.06.47_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.06.56_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.07.22_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Cinnamon
Currently the biggest brat we have. Cinnamon has five 2 1/2 week old babies right now, and she is really high strung because of it. Plus, she has had a hard time losing the pregnancy weight. She was mad at me the entire photo shoot. Can you tell? :D

2012-06-09%252021.10.35_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.09.39_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.10.09_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

And now, for the baby pictures!
I tried to post them yesterday after I posted the pictures of their Mommies, but my computer decided to freeze up and crash the browser. :grumpy:

All of the babies are 7 1/2 weeks old.

We are planning on keeping a few of them, and hope to find loving people to adopt the rest.

If you see a bunny that you like in these baby photos, and are interested in adoption, please let me know!

Baby # 1

2012-06-09%252021.19.13_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.19.21_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.19.42_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.19.53_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby # 2
One of the babies we plan on keeping. A sweet little girl, she is currently one of our most colorful bunnies! We have had a tough time coming up with a name for her so far. She had a twin brother named Danny that died a couple weeks ago.

2012-06-09%252021.21.20_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.21.31_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.21.40_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.22.00_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby # 3
He looks exactly like his Daddy, Twinkle.

2012-06-09%252021.23.10_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.22.52_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.22.43_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.22.59_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby # 4

2012-06-09%252021.24.28_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.24.35_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.24.45_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.25.02_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby # 5

2012-06-09%252021.25.57_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.26.11_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.26.22_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.26.32_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby Bunnies Continued!

Baby # 6

2012-06-09%252021.27.44_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.27.27_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.27.35_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.27.55_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby # 7 - Mittens
One of the babies we hope to keep. Can you guess how he got his name? :biggrin:

2012-06-09%252021.28.28_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.28.36_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.28.47_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.29.00_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.29.37_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby # 8
Another baby we hope to keep. She is a real sweetie, and happens to look like a Boston Terrier too! We have had a hard time finding a good name for her.

2012-06-09%252021.30.34_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.30.44_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.30.54_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.31.04_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.31.22_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby # 9

2012-06-09%252021.32.03_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.32.11_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.32.33_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.32.48_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Baby # 10

Doesn't he look adorable with his one white glove?

2012-06-09%252021.33.37_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.33.48_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.33.57_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

2012-06-09%252021.34.11_Rock%2520Hill_South%2520Carolina_US.jpg

Only 6 more to go!

Latest posts

Back