Greens

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What about kale? Mine like that. Endive is yummy too. And I keep meaning to plant some basil. They love cilantro and italian parsley, but Mocha wouldn't touch dill. Carrot greens are good if you can find decent ones. I usually only see the really bruised stuff.

I have a grow room in my basement that I'm gonnastart a bunch of stuff in for them to have fresher greens in thiswinter once the farmers market is over. I just gotta get towhere I can get to the basement! LOL!

All of you guys have great ideas! I needed tothink of new stuff to feed. I've been feeding my Bun thebasics for a while now--romaine, cilantro, baby bok choy, and a babycarrot every day. I think its time for a change...I willdefinitely try the bunny burrito, Gypsy!!;)

-k

Okay, Gypsy - How in the WORLD do you tie thehay around the burrito without breaking it??? It took metwenty minutes to get three tied!

Baby loved hers - tore right into it, but the other twodidNOT like working for their veggies! I had toopen it for them. It was fun to make, though. I guess I'lljustdo it for Baby from now on.

Laura

Maybe if you wet the piece of hay a little first?? My buneats alot of Oat Hay and some of the pieces are quite long andfairly wide.

gypsy wrote:
My nut cases all LoveWatercress , I like it on top ofa salad also . itskina peppery and has a nicetaste . They willactually pass up onlettuce , parsley , and carrot for theWatercress . If they seem bored withgreens try presenting it to them differently . whatI do is make a veggie Burrito forthese nuts , I takea large romaine leave insertparsley, water cress, shredded carrot ,and a tiny piece of driedfruits , ( usually 2 pineapple , 1 craisin , and a papayachip ) Tie it together with a longishpiece or 2 of hay and present it to them. Not only is it good for them,they seem to love opening the package tosee what kind of goody they got today. ( I'm still trying to decide who getsmore excited over it Me or them ) lol .
That is a really cool idea.

Snowbelle really loves mint and basil... BB wonttouch either often, she usually just nudges it out of the way, but sheloves dandelion leaves.

I bought a few mint plants from a lady who had too many for $1 aplant.. I put them in a planter and am hoping they will survive.. Idont know where else to buy mint at..

bren

Where do you get dandelion plants from to growyour own? Surely they arent sold anywhere as they are a weed?You can pick them from the garden as long as you wash themfirst. We get loadz in our garden :p But not enough for 2rabbits and 2 g-pigs. I want to grow my own! :(

You could probably get them wherever you getseeds. Peoplemake salads with the leaves.There was a recipe on the ones I got at the store.

Laura

Hi Laura, is the other parsley (curley) no goodfor them. I'm curious all three of mine love it.Our vet said it was ok for them to have it.

Mine also love carrot tops, dill, kale, dandelion leaves, collards,basil, thyme, broccoli leaves, oregano. They are little"PIGGIES" but oh so cute.

Soooska

With all my buns, rats and reptiles who needveggies daily, I go through the grocery store every week and buy someof most of the things they have. My guys get all kinds ofthings, and eat almost all of them (except Abby, she's a pickyone). I usually go with things like: romaine lettuce,spinach, endive, escarole, cilantro, parsley, dandelion greens, kale,collard greens, chard, napa...the list just goes on. Plusthey get some carrots, bell pepper, peas, cooked sweet potato, squash...

Jen

Linz_1987 wrote:
Where do you get dandelion plants from to grow your own?Surely they arent sold anywhere as they are a weed? You canpick them from the garden as long as you wash them first. Weget loadz in our garden :p But not enough for 2 rabbits and 2 g-pigs. Iwant to grow my own! :(

You could try the Thompson and Morgan Seed Company. They arein the UK and a very old established, reliable company.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/en

Johnny's Selected Seeds in Albion, Maine (US) carries several varietiesof dandelion seed. Their catalog is wonderful.Check out all the heirloom seeds and potato varieties, not to mentionthe melons. They have a lot of seeds especially for coolerclimates and shorter growing seasons. I have been orderingfrom them for 15 or more years and they are excellent. Theyare very fast to deliver.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/

Latest posts

Back