Greedy bunny

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geekgirl101

Reaction score
Kick is getting more and more demanding for her food and she eats very fast.

Every time I go to the fridge or prepare food she runs around me, pushes her way to my feet, and sits almost on top of my feet and trips me over. If I'm eating an apple and I go to sit down in the living room she bolts after me and flies up to my spot on the sofa so I can't sit down and she at one time stole the apple out of my hand as I was eating it!

When I sit to give the bunnies a treat she always gets her first and bolts for it after taking it, even if I try to give it to Archie she will force herself forward and steals it out of his mouth then makes a bolt for it. Archie has at times tried running away with his treat in his mouth to eat it in peace from her but she will not let him be, she chases him and steals his treat. When she finishes her treat she rushes over to Archie and pushes his head up to see if there's still food there and if there isn't she'll sniff for any juices below and licks them up really fast or she'll swipe whatever is in his mouth. Once she has his treat she either runs off or she turns around eating it and shaking her head when Archie comes near so he can't get take it back.

When I give them their greens she'll eat all the leafy parts leaving the stems for last. I watched in despair as Archie pulled out some thyme leaves and was happily nibbling on it whilst Kick was grabbing one leaf after another of lettuces and pak choi and when Archie finished his thyme and went to grab a leaf all that was left were stems.

Archie has learned to eat his pellets quickly if he wants to get any breakfast but Kick will sometimes position herself in the feeder that Archie can't get in either side and has to force his head into the dish to get to the pellets. This morning Kick positioned herself to cover one side of the feeder whilst her head was buried in the other side and Archie had to climb on top of her in order to push his head into the dish and get some of them.

I'm getting to a stage now where if Archie hasn't had a treat and I'm to give him one I have to lock Kick out of the room and she goes ballistic at the door scratching it aggressively wanting to get in and steal his treat.

They're both spathed, I really hoped that Kick would've calmed down after 8 months but she's getting worse in wanting to steal more of her share. Is there any more I can do besides feeding them in different rooms?

Stop letting her run your life. Let her know you're in charge. Move her if she gets in your way and don't let her take your food.

I do push her off the sofa and she immediately leaps up and reaches for my food. She is really fast. I have to push her down several times before I can enjoy my food without her climbing all over me and trying to grab it.

She is really bullying you HAHA. I'm sorry, I'm not laughing at you, it's kind of silly though. I've never had a problem where my rabbit was more dominant than I am, but in another thread I think Nancy mentions disciplining her rabbits by holding them down and thumping at them... That makes sense to me. Put her off of the couch, hold her there, and smack your foot on the floor.

Yes, here is the post:
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/f40/bad-bunny-78079/#post1012887

Let her know! *FIST PUMP*

Oh cheers, forgot about the angry bunny act. I'll do that to her next time she tries to steal off me. Will the same work if she steals Archie's food or should I leave him to work it out?

If you think it's a problem, I would, but you could also just feed them separately, whichever you think is easier. You could feed Archie's treats directly to him, and if she tries to intrude, that'd be a good opportunity to show her who's boss and that if you mean for Archie to eat it, then he's going to eat it.

Poor Archie! I want to give him big hugs! If I were you I'd just feed them separately, ie. Put Kick's share of veggies/pellets in her cage and lock her in there, while Archie gets his share outside. Then only let Kick back out when he's done. Or you could get someone to hold her while you feed Archie his treat. I agree that you should show some dominant behaviour to let her know in bunny language that she's out of line.

She won't let me hold her, ever. Anyways it seems we've established a bit of an understanding that she's not the boss of me anymore. She still bolts for me when I got food and expects me to feed her first or grab Archie's before he gets it but I held her down and slammed a hand on the floor since I was sat down. She struggled like hell to get free from my hand but then after I pinned her the 2nd time she stopped trying to steal from Archie. I'm going to keep on doing this every time I feed them now, hopefully she'll submit and avoid fighting back since she's quite a fighter, she really does struggle to get out of my grasp with her back legs and head shaking.

Latest posts

Back