Great People, Great Rescue

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
As noted in the introduction thread, we're veryhappy that Randy and Holly from Sabrina's HouseRabbit Rescuein North Carolina have joined us.

As per this thread, you'll see they're not the traditionalshelter/foster-style rescue, they're taking on hard cases--rabbit rehab (and we don't mean those bunswith apenchant for bunny crack or an addled carrot juice habit). ;)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=21515&forum_id=26

We were first made aware of them via this heartfelt thread by Usagi Chan, which told us they were very special people.

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=21373&forum_id=16

They have proved this time and time again in posts and correspondencesince, and we'd REALLY like to see them supported by our membership(and anybody else so inclined).

They are not a registered non-profit, yet, and they mentioned that onething on their 'wish list' would be a lawyer and/or someone else whocan help get them through the complicated, time-consuming and somewhatcostly process.

And of course, all other support would be welcome!

Here's the link to their organization:

http://rabbitresq.org/

We need more people like them in the animal kingdom! :inlove:

:great::bouquet::hug::kiss:

It's wonderful to hear about people who are sokind and caring. I just spent a lot of time reading over their site -and would love to meet them and the buns who live with them.

[:bows to this wonderful rescue and its founders:]

I spoke with Randy today and I'm going to help with some of the things that they need to get done.

I have set up a non-profit corporation before so I believe I can helpget theirs set up so that donations would be tax deductable. I live inRaleigh where the State Dept of Corporations is located.

However they will need a bookkeeper to make sure that everything is inorder for annual tax returns. I don't feel qualified to dothat. If anyone is near Raleigh and would help with thisplease contact me.

I also will very soon help Randy get a PayPal account setup. Even if they are not tax exempt there are some people whowould donate anyways.

They no longer need the microscope that is mentioned on their website. That need has been met.

Randy doesn't list an address on his website. He explained tome today why. If people in the area know the address many well petswill be dumped on their doorstep. There are people who simplyabandon their pets by droping and running. With too many wellpets he would not have the time and resources to deal with needyrabbits and wildlife.

If anyone here wishes to donate you can contact me and I'lll makewhatever arrangements are needed to make sure Randy and his wifereceive the donations. Or you could wait until I get Randy'sPayPal account set up if you'd like to use that.

Usagi_Chan

I just took a look at the NC Craigslist (isRaleigh the closest?), it may be worth running a "Volunteer BookkeeperNeededFor Rescue" ad, it's a great resource.

How necessary is the lawyer?If so, a'Pro Bono Help Wanted ForRescue' ad as well.

Once the Paypal account is set up, I can help spread the word a littlemore. I haven't looked at the website lately, butasnoted, if there's a specific situation needing funding, it's good torun a dedicated campaign, be it for a rabbit needing vet workorfunds to pay the filing costs for the tax exemptstatus.

sas :)

I registered a Non-Profit Corp in North Carolinain 2002. I didn't need an attorney and I wrote the "Articles ofIncorporation" I believe for the Rabbit Rescue it will beeasier. North Carolina statutes are online so it'snot hard to get any information needed. I doubt that a lawyerwill be needed.

The fee to incorporate in North Carolina is $60. The federaltax exempt form which you file after incorporation is rather long butfiling the form ( 501(c)) is free. Once that is obtainedfiling for state exempt status is next and I believe also free. It doestake some time to get the 501(c) approved, a few months as I recall.

I sent Randy and email explaining how to get the PayPal account andtold him if he needs help with it he call me while he's online atPayPal. I have an account there for a website that I run so Iknow the proceedures at PayPal.

I think we need to worry about book-keeping after the incorporation. Ifdonation checks are made out to the rescue the deposits will be arecord. To get an account in the name of the business banksrequire a copy of the incorporation. That account will berequired to be able to accept checks made out to the Rescue.PayPal is very helpful with regards to records.

Perhaps this is all that would be needed to give to whoever does the tax returns for the Corp.

Usagi_Chan

Latest posts

Back