Greasy Head

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buster2369

Reaction score
I was just wondering if it is normal for a rabbit to have a greasy head after surgery. I was told they would give him gas anesthetic to put him to sleep. When I got him after his surgery his head was all greasy. I tried brushing him with some water but it won't come out. Will he clean it himself or should I clean him? I heard you can give a corn starch bath but I don't want to upset Buster any more. He also smells very odd. I mean it's not a big deal, he seems to be feeling great otherwise, he already ate and pooped/peed. But he seems to be annoyed by his fur, he keeps grooming.

Here's a picture...thanks for any advice :D

Hey Andria,

Not sure if this is any help but they put goopy stuff on their eyes since they don't usually close them. I think it's to protect them and keep them hydrated. It could be that Buster's rubbed it around his head while grooming or maybe the vet tried to rub it off and it got all over, not sure.

Might be something else too, that was just my first thought!

They usually put in what they call "eye lube" so their eyes don't dry out and get damaged during surgery. It should go away with time and shouldn't be harmful. Since it's around his eyes I'd be hesitant to use anything to clean it off.

I didn't even think of that. It probably is an 'eye gel' of sort. He has been spreading the grease around his face when he washes. He has been drinking a lot of water so it may also be leaving an odd taste in his mouth.

I'll leave it alone and hopefully it will go away soon. He is still handsome so it's OK. :D

Thanks for the replies... :bunnyheart

Definitely "eye" protection because rabbits don't shut their eyes. Dobby and Kreacher looked like that after surgery. It does go away after a while.

K:)

Tippy groomed it off after two or three days. You'll just have to deal with a greasy bun for a few days when you pet him!

Latest posts

Back