Grants?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KatsRabbitry

Reaction score
Alright here's my question:

I'll be moving and I need to build my rabbit barn.I've got the layout decided and it will actually be added to the back of our horse barn and heated by the wood furnace. My whole intention of keeping my rabbits is to help 4-hers learn the value of their rabbits and about the industry, some organic things...etc. Does anybody know of any grants that could apply to purchase new wire for cages?

Kat

Ok, here's a few questions:

Will your rabbits/rabbitry only be for educational uses, or will these be your own rabbits that you breed/sell under your name?

Does anyone in your county know you want to do this?

Is there a 4H rabbit club in your county?

Are there other, similar type 'farms' you can ask questions?

I don't think it will be easy to get money for what you want to do. Especially if these will basically be your rabbits that you sell and show, but just have 4H kids come out to learn about. The best people to contact would be an Extension Agent at your county's Extension Office. What you might want to do is start your own 4H club that is rabbit oriented. Kids from other clubs can join yours and still be in their main club. Then, you could do fund raising to help out having a 'teaching' barn where the kids that wanted to do rabbits but can't at their home, could have a place to keep them.

Good Luck

That is what I was thinking..but unsure. You see, I run the rabbit barn at our county fair. I also teach the 4-H ethics workshops and such. I've seen some places for small farm grants and such but wasn't sure if any of this would fit in. What we were really looking to do for the county is basically get better equipment, a library type set-up...stuff like that..... I'm very unsure of what I'm doing here...:?

It might be doable. I know my county had some land donated and a hog barn was built on the land for kids who couldn't have fair hogs on their own property. If you have a decent amount of kids interested in rabbits in your county- it might be something the county would be willing to help you with.

When I was in 4H, I asked a company to donate some of their product to me so I could build sloping trays for my rabbit barn. They very graciously donated some to me, and I of course told everyone I knew how happy I was with them and their product. It can't hurt to write the companies that carry wire. Mention that you are building an educational 4H rabbit barn and that you'd be wiling to hang their signs in your barn or fair barn or something like that.

I'm sure obviously you have 4-H clubs in your area. I would assume is to contact the 4-H office and tell them what you are doing so then they can tell Rabbit 4-H clubs of what you are doing. That might work.

Good Luck! :)

hopntailrabbitry wrote:
I hope everything works well. But the 4-H office should do that,if not then they are stupid and lazzyyy. hehe:p

Unfortunately, many extension offices have lost significant funding for 4-H programs and many are struggling :(

Pam

Pam,

Yes, our 4-H fairgrounds has recently become county fairgrounds for that reason. Kids are now having to pay for things that used to be free also. I don't know if you remember but I'm with the Venango county program.

Back