Gracie...mad or possessed?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audrinasmommy88

Reaction score
i just got home from the farmers market. i got Gracie all of her usual greens and thought I would try Kale. So I gave her some in her bowl. She sniffed and then circled the bowl and then literally ATTACKED the bowl. Flinging the bowl around biting and grunting. Then she peed on the Kale. I guess this is my sign that she was not happy with me or the new veggie. I have NEVER seen her so aggressive!

Lol. Well, I guess kale is out. Maybe she detected something sinister in there.

Did you wash it first? Perhaps there was another scent on it she didn't like. Perhaps something bad happened to her associated with kale in her previous life?

I've never had a bun freak over a particular food, but I have a cat that will go bonkers if she can see the bottom of her food dish. She attacks the other cat and us violently, has drawn blood. As long as she can't see the bottom of the dish she is sweet as can be. She was starved so even though she's never been hungry in 8 years it still makes her wigg out.

Perhaps someone hit Gracie while she was eating kale and she transfered the feelings? Sorry I'm not a qualified rabbit psychologist.

Brandy, I washed the kale before I gave it to her. Im very particular about her greens being washed before she eats them. But I have never gotten them from the farmers market before. I usually get them from the grocery store. But the farmers market has a better selection and better prices. So maybe that has something to do with. But I also dont know much about her background either. Im gonna wait a little while and then try the red leaf lettuce. Thats her favorite and see if its the same reaction. If it is, then im guessing its because it came from the farmers market. If not, then it probably is a negative association with the kale

My kids love farmer's market produce too. It really is fresher and more tastey.

Poor little girl. I don't know how people could be mean to a rabbit, but that is my guess. Smell evokes more memories than sight even, it's a very potent trigger in human traumatic stress events.

I never thought about it like that. I think you could be right. Makes me sad thinking about someone doing something to her while eating something that should be ENJOYABLE for her :( She just begged me for a piece of the apple I am eating (which came from the farmers market), I gave her a pice and she gobbled it up. So, its definitely a negative association with the Kale. My poor girl. I want to snuggle her but she is too busy doing her bunny 500s now

I loooooven Brussels sprouts! ;)

Archie attacked one of my sons toys the other day. It was crazy attack mode much like you are describing your Gracie did! It completely freak me out. He's such a sweet bun and I had never seen him so mad before.

I guess rabbits have more emotions and feelings then we give them credit for!

Brandy, I had to laugh at your cat freaking out over seeing the bottom of the food bowl. Its sad that she was starved, but its a little funny.

Yes, maybe Gracie has bad memories tied to kale. Poor bun! I don't think Foo has ever attacked a food like that, but she'll almost take your fingers off to get to the cilantro!
I also love brussel sprouts, they're really good for you too. Packed with all kinds of goodness.

Well you never know, something could have peed on it before it was picked (cat, dog, raccoon). Rabbits have a very good sense of smell, like dogs do. Washing it would not prevent a rabbit from smelling the residue.

Might tryanother batch of kale and see what happens.

One time I punked BunBun after he scooted up the driveway and went under my car when a dog came by. I got my finger good and doggy from scratching the dog. After the dog left I called him out from under the car and he hops over all releived and looking for some reassurance. I stuck my dog fingers in his face. Once he got a sniff of dog, he almost flipped over backwards to turn around and go back under the car. He did not come back out when I called him again. He did not like the smell of dog at all.

Back