Gracie has us trained

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Little Cow

Reaction score

We were given our bunny, Gracie, after she was dumped at the local feed store (they asked us to take her when we stopped in for feed). This was back in 2010, three months after Easter. She was in distress because she had been outside in a nasty dog crate and it was one of the hottest days of the year. She recovered fully and was vetted and spayed soon after. We think she is a Florida White. Every Easter, I am reminded of the plight of bunnies. :(

Anyway, she adores our son and seems to be fond of me as well, although I am the one with the towel that scoops her up to trim her nails. She likes being cuddled once she is in my lap (for trimmings) but doesn't like being picked up (hence the towel).

She dislikes my husband. If he tries to feed her a carrot, she grunts and pushes his hand away. He is a sweet, gentle guy. Is this common?

The best thing about Gracie is how well she has trained me. Our sweet, innocent, bunny makes sure I don't go to bed until she is satisfied. I hung a bell in her cage awhile back for fun (she has several toys and two levels in her big homemade cage) and gave her treats when she rang it. It was so cute when she jumped up to her second level, rang her bell and waited for her veggie treat. Now, Gracie has taken over training. She rings her bell for food, and if she's ignored, she has learned how to ring it very loud and repeatedly until someone attends to her needs. In addition, she has two bowls; one for pellets and a metal bowl for veggies and fruit, which she favors. If we fill her red bowl and refresh her hay, but she hasn't had her veggies yet, she flips her metal bowl against her bunny house in frustration. I am completely trained to attend to the bunny's desires.

Hahaha welcome to the club ;) these lil guys have a way of training their human slaves!

She sounds like a character and good for you for rescuing her from such horrible conditions!

That is to funny. I can imagine her laying back on a couch ringing her bell for you to feed her grapes like those old movies with an Egyptian princess lol.

this is why I have a pellet bowl that clamps to the side of the condo, I feed veggies on the floor and I took away the thing with the bell on it, lol. I refused to be trained to do more than feed them four times a day and clean their poop and other assorted messes :p

Back