Got them, bred them, now what?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthGate Hutch

Reaction score
I received my doe last week and got a buck yesterday. I put them together two times today. She wasn't very accepting, but they did mate. The second time she got a little mean with him. I ordered a book from Amazon, but now I have to wait until next week for delivery.
Should I put them together again soon, or just wait? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks

Wait till 38 days after you have bred her and if you have no kits you can breed her again, do you have 2 of the same breed of rabbits?

You need to palpate for babies at about the 28th day. This is easier then because the babies will be easy to feel for. You should even feel them kick. If you don't palpate then you will have no idea if she is indeed pregnant.

The gestation period is 28-32 days with 31 days being the average. You will need to put a nestbox in at day 27.

Sharon

You can put them back together and try again but don't try again after that. They really should be bred once, then you should wait an hour andthen rebreed.

Sharon

Starlight Rabbitry wrote:
They really should be bred once, then you should wait an hour andthen rebreed.
Or put them in together again 8 hours later to boost the litter size (if you want a big litter)

I do this and I average about 8 kits a litter.

:yeahthat:eek:nce you have rebred then you just carry on as normal with her until a few days before her due date (count 31 days from mating date to get due date) when you want to put a nest box in for her to build her nest and have her kits in.

Keep us updated on how she goes :)

If she got a little "testy" with him, it probably means the breeding took the first time. As Polly said, just wait it out now. If you know how to palpate, you can try between 12 and 14 days after breeding or as Starlight said, on day 28.

Mark your calander and be ready. Get your nestbox set up and put it in on day 28.

Latest posts

Back