Got pasturella- NOW CURED!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicolevins

Reaction score
Last week my bunny got PASTURELLA. I wasn't told exactly what it was so could yous tell me if yous have any info on it and what were the consiquences?

When we brought Jenni to the vet we explained she was sneezing for about 2 or 3 weeks and that she wasnt eating normally.The vet said that it could of led to pynomia(-sorry not sure on the spelling:?. She only weighed 1kg. She got a needle but I forgot to ask what it was called. Do yous have any idea what it could of been?

We were giving 2 syringes, 5% Baytril (liquid) and eyedrops.

1 week later : Jenni is all cleared up.

[Q's I asked:
-What were the consequences?
-Jenni got a needle. Any idea what it was?]

Please help me :hearts

(P.S - I do not think she was giving the myxamitosis vaccine because we gave 20euro. It is a voluntary vet.)pl

I moved this thread over to the infirmary as it is a medical subject.

Pasturella is a type of bacteria that is very commonly responsible for infections in rabbits.

Your rabbit had an upper respitory infection, and that is why the vet gave you antibiotics.

I am going to guess that the needle was more antibiotics. Possibly injectable Baytril, as the vet gave you some oral as well.

Is she eating normally now?

She may need some probiotic to help her tummy with having taken oral antibiotics. I'm not sure what is available in Ireland.

Consequences could be that the infection will come back. If the antibiotic given was not the correct one to kill all the bacteria or not give for the correct length of time, the infection can come back. My bunny had a very aggressive upper respitory infection and had to have many rounds of antibiotics to make it go away.

--Dawn

Umm....I have some concerns here. First, Baytril is not a first choice drugagainst pasteurella. It has long been used but Pasteurella is quickly becoming resistant to this drug. It might work once, maybe twice....but it has to be dosed correctly for at least 10 days. Most of the top exotic vets here in the US have abandoned Baytril long ago....and some are even avoiding it with dogs which it is labeled for.

There are several strains of Pasteurella Multocida. This bacteria is carried sub-clinically in most mammals (including humans)and some birds. Pasteurella is a faculative anaerobic bacteria which means it doesn't have to live in an oxygen environment. Pasteurella can't be cured....but it can be controlled....like putting "the genie back into the bottle". It will always be there lurking for a chance to show itself. Pasteurella in rabbits normally presents as an Upper Respiratory Infection but can infect any body tissue.

The most effective treatment (for now anyway) for Pasteurella is a human drug....Azithromycin (Zithromax). We have also has success in using Zeniquin (a flouroquinolone that is an enhancement of Baytril), Chloramphenicol,Convenia (safe only as an injectable) and Penicillin (safe only as an injectable). It would be of help if you could provide the exact drug, dosing amount and dosing window.

Improper use of antibiotics is why we are getting "super bugs"....those that don't respond to long used drugs. Penicillins in humans....and Baytril in animals....are prime examples of misuse and the problems it causes.

If you received any documentation of treatment, please post it so we can take a look and possibly give you some guidance.

Randy

My bun is eating normally now and yesterday I heard a TINY TINY sneeze. 7 days later she is fine. She was only givin the dose for 7 days which was what we were supplied with.

We were told to give her 0.4ml of Baytril mixed with 1.6ml of water with a small bit of Blackcurrent juice just to make it taste nice.

Jusy watch her closely. oftentimes baytril is effective the 1st few times you use it but rabbits often become resistant to it
7 days is really too short a course of treatment even with a stronger med.

nicolevins wrote:
Last week my bunny got PASTURELLA. I wasn't told exactly what it was so could yous tell me if yous have any info on it and what were the consiquences?

When we brought Jenni to the vet we explained she was sneezing for about 2 or 3 weeks and that she wasnt eating normally.The vet said that it could of led to pynomia(-sorry not sure on the spelling:?. She only weighed 1kg. She got a needle but I forgot to ask what it was called. Do yous have any idea what it could of been?

We were giving 2 syringes, 5% Baytril (liquid) and eyedrops.

1 week later : Jenni is all cleared up.

[Q's I asked:
-What were the consequences?
-Jenni got a needle. Any idea what it was?]

Please help me :hearts

(P.S - I do not think she was giving the myxamitosis vaccine because we gave 20euro. It is a voluntary vet.)pl
sounded like upper respiratory problem,,no nasal culture eh!,..being jenni is on baytril,,the jab could have been antibiotc,--baytril??-call dvm--...eye drops??..what for??..there is a forum in the uk called rabbits united...they talk about myxi,,all i can suggest is if this deadly disease is in ireland--jabs every 6 months/to be safe,,call your dvm if you did not get a printout/explaination of the services rendered........sometimes myxi-is misdiagnosed andappears as pasturella(snuffles)--services cost 20 euros...don,t you guys use pounds,etc.anymore..--definately keep an eye on jenni,s behavior/for symptoms//,,you can also google wikapedia for myxi-info/ ...sincerely--james waller from the other kent,usa:wave:

Jenni also has conjuctivitous (im soo sorry about my bad spelling!) -I forgot to tell yous. That is what the eyedrops are for. The myxi. injections over here cost 30euro (i am only 13 years old) and my mam says money is a little tight at the moment. And no we do not use pounds anymore here, in 2000 or 2001 we switched from pounds to euros. I will definitley keep an eye on her.

Pasturella doesn't go away forever...

One of our girls had it when we brought her home. It took 6 months (she was VERY ill...almost died several times) to finally bring it under control...but we noticed that when she becomes stressed or if her immune system is punky it will rear its head here and there. So far she has manged to keep ahead of it and hasn't required treatment since the original outbreak...but it is something to watch for in the future.

Good Luck!

Danielle

Latest posts

Back