got online bag of food that was ripped and then taped

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumperina

Reaction score
From Dr.Forster and Smith.
I understand that the bag can get ripped during transportation but this situation is different. The bag was cut previously and then they put a piece of tape over the ripped area trying to fix it. Now the rip is longer that the piece of tape. I haven't opened the bag yet.
This is a 25lbs bag of Oxbow adult rabbit food.
Honestly, I don't find it OK. If they saw the bag was ripped, how could they still ship it?
Would you request another bag?

Do whatever you want with it honestly. That's your decision. I seriously doubt theres anything wrong with it.
Personally im more then happy to buy ripped product if it keeps it out of the trash and I know its still a full bag.
It doesn't take much to split a bag open when unpacking items. One wrong move with a knife. When you're opening hundreds of boxes a day to unpack you stop caring how careful and delicate you are with that knife.
Most large name pet stores don't have many other options with ripped bags. They cannot be donated. So it's either sell them or they go in the trash and get written off.

I think it would be honest to offer it with discount and indication it's a little ripped

If the contents are fully there and fine, I don't think you should get a discount for it since you're getting the product you paid for (unless you are in it for the packaging ;)).

If you're concerned that the contents are diminished or dirty, I am sure they would exchange it for another bag.

Do whatever you want with it honestly. That's your decision. I seriously doubt theres anything wrong with it.
Personally im more then happy to buy ripped product if it keeps it out of the trash and I know its still a full bag.
It doesn't take much to split a bag open when unpacking items. One wrong move with a knife. When you're opening hundreds of boxes a day to unpack you stop caring how careful and delicate you are with that knife.
Most large name pet stores don't have many other options with ripped bags. They cannot be donated. So it's either sell them or they go in the trash and get written off.
thanks for letting me look at it from a different perspective. I will keep the bag. Can tape applied over the bag of food be any toxic for rabbits?

thanks for letting me look at it from a different perspective. I will keep the bag. Can tape applied over the bag of food be any toxic for rabbits?

Another thing to keep in mind is that if they sell items with "imperfect" packaging, they keep their costs down (vs a store which has to throw away, donate, or sell on clearance any damaged goods), thus lower costs for the customer. That being said if you have any doubts about the integrity of the food, do exchange it.

I wouldn't worry about the tape. If any bits stuck to the tape, don't pick them off and feed them just in case some adhesive remains, but the proximity of the tape itself (especially if they put paper under it first) would not be harmful.

If the contents are fully there and fine, I don't think you should get a discount for it since you're getting the product you paid for (unless you are in it for the packaging ;)).
I am in it for the fresh food that is not exposed to the air. I like to keep my bags tightly closed. I got it some time ago and I didn't even know that it was exposed to air as it was still in the box it arrived.
Anyway, I talked to them, I am keeping it and they ship me some stuff as a courtesy.

Also, it's a HUGE bag that I will be using for a long time. If the rip gets larger (which is quite possible), I can have problem with spills, and this is pain in the butt.

Pull the tape off and close the rip with some better packing tape so its a better seal.
If you're really concerned divide the bag up between multiple freezer quality zip loc bags and store the ones youre not ready for in the freezer.
Honestly its a dried product, unless you live in a super humid zone having the product exposed to air vs a sealed bag wont make much of a difference. The food is still safe to feed well past its best before date as well, again given that its been stored DRY. I fill an ice cream pail with the food I will use and the rest just gets stashed in a closet somewhere with the top of the bag rolled shut.
Its just like hay, I am finally finishing the last of a monster bale for my guys that I purchased almost 4 years ago now. Its a dried product so it wont go bad unless it gets wet.

And just for everyones knowledge, most large chains stores THROW AWAY all returns and damaged goods. THEY DO NOT GET DONATED.
There have been far too many cases where a good act goes wrong when the person or rescue or group the items were donated too takes advantage of a large company that probably has lots of money and sues the company because their donation is obviously the reason their animal got "sick". People will use any excuse they possibly can to try and get more money out of a company.
It happens a LOT more then anyone might think.
It is far easier and cheaper for the company to throw out and write off any expired, or damaged items.

Whether or not you keep it, I would contact them and register a complaint. Just got a dog bed and ordered treats from them and half the treats were smashed. I don't plan on getting anything else from them as a couple of other suppliers are cheaper and have never shipped me merchandise I consider to be seconds. JUST NOT RIGHT!

would you share your cheap suppliers, Nancy?
I used to like Dr F and S as they have a rather good selection for pet birds that I also have. But once I got a large bag of baby bird formula that was also cut. I demanded replacement as it has to be practically sterile.

If their just being lazy and careless then definitely pop them an email and complain. And it should always be for a refund WITH OUT sending items back, or a credit for your next purchase. Why should you have to pay or spend the time and effort to send their items back to them?

I am in it for the fresh food that is not exposed to the air. I like to keep my bags tightly closed. I got it some time ago and I didn't even know that it was exposed to air as it was still in the box it arrived.
Anyway, I talked to them, I am keeping it and they ship me some stuff as a courtesy.

I wouldn't worry about the prior exposure to air, it should be fine to use it. But if in doubt, best not to use it.

I use various containers and jars to store dry food (for cats, birds and rabbits) as I hate dealing with bags, bags falling over and such.

If your in Australia I would get rid of the bag as calcivirus has just been released and who know what has touched that bag during the transporting :( good luck

Back