Got my bunny neutered--is incision infected?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got my bunny neutered in March 29th, it’s April 2nd now. The first night after his neuter I noticed he was picking at his stitches and there was minor bleeding. The bleeding wasn’t visible on the floor; it was only on his incision area. I found out about ecollars so I diyed one for him to wear overnight. I couldn’t reach the vet because it was so late at night, so I called them the following morning. That morning I saw that the area had turned purple. I got worried and immediately rushed him to the vet. The vet told me that it’s not a big deal and that the blood I saw were mostly fluids and that as long as the area doesn’t turn black it’s ok. She also said as long as he’s eating and drinking it’s ok, but he never rejected food or water. She gave me tablets to crush and put on his incision area to make the area taste bad, so he doesn’t pick on it. I’ve been consistent with his medication, he got two, one for his gut and another for his pain. After that vet visit I watched him closely and his incision area seemed to remain the same for the next couple of days until now. I checked this morning and the area had spots of black or a deep purple(I don’t know which one to believe it is), including the scab he got from picking it. The area also deflated a little and it’s no longer as swollen. Is this normal? Should I take him to the vet? It’s been 2 days since the last visit. Should I be worried? What happens if it turns black? Will he need another surgery to remove it? Will this have an effect on him for life? Please if anyone knows about this help me!

I wish someone would reply to this thread, it sounds pretty serious. Maybe @JBun will pop in to help? If I had more knowledge on rabbit healthcare, I would totally try to help you, but I’m no expert. I hope everything goes well with you and your bun❤️

If the skin itself starts turning black, then yes, your rabbit will need another surgery to remove the dead tissue . If you want to post a clear close up photo of the incision site, we can give our opinion of how it looks to us. But the best thing to do if you have concerns about there being problems with the incision, is send a photo to your vet asking them if it looks ok, or if you need to bring your rabbit back in.

I wish someone would reply to this thread, it sounds pretty serious. Maybe @JBun will pop in to help? If I had more knowledge on rabbit healthcare, I would totally try to help you, but I’m no expert. I hope everything goes well with you and your bun❤

Questions posted on here can't always get answered on the spot. We all have our own lives, and come on here to help answer questions when we can and have the time to do so. There isn't always someone on here 24/7 that can give an opinion on more complex medical related issues. So it can be hours or even sometimes days, before a question can get answered. If someone has an urgent situation, then the best thing for that person to do is get in touch with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.

If the skin itself starts turning black, then yes, your rabbit will need another surgery to remove the dead tissue . If you want to post a clear close up photo of the incision site, we can give our opinion of how it looks to us. But the best thing to do if you have concerns about there being problems with the incision, is send a photo to your vet asking them if it looks ok, or if you need to bring your rabbit back in.

Questions posted on here can't always get answered on the spot. We all have our own lives, and come on here to help answer questions when we can and have the time to do so. There isn't always someone on here 24/7 that can give an opinion on more complex medical related issues. So it can be hours or even sometimes days, before a question can get answered. If someone has an urgent situation, then the best thing for that person to do is get in touch with a knowledgeable rabbit vet.
Thank you

I have another question. The incision site seemed to have shrunk a lot. Is that normal?

I have another question. The incision site seemed to have shrunk a lot. Is that normal?
Hi, please take a close-up photo, best if you take photo of both testicles so we can see the difference too. If it is not swollen it is generally a good sign, but it is very hard to say anything without seeing. Dead tissue can be normal thing especially if you know he chewed on them, and can be bad sign as well, we need to see it. Also what you use on them, what tablets you said you had to crush and apply on his incision area, do you know the name of them

One of our Flemish Giant foster buns had bruising and seepage from the internal sutures that had partially opened up. We noticed blood spots on the cotton sheets within 24 hours. He was kept in a small area to limit movement. We took him to the rabbit-savvy DVM the next morning who did his neuter. She confirmed that a suture spot had opened. Our vet has done hundreds of neuters and this had never happened before. Once she redid the sutures he healed fine and he was kept in a small space for tissue to completely regrow and heal the area.

As I recall from 2013 the bleeding could easily be seen when we inspected his private area. This sounds like unusual advice about the tablets however I am not a rabbit-savvy DVM.

How's his incision looking now? Can you contact another rabbit-savvy "exotics" vet and send them photos for a 2nd opinion.

Do you have other rabbits you've taken to this vet for neuters? What part of Illinois are you located?

Our DVM doesn't give cisapride or a gut motility med after neuter surgery. Only meloxicam doses, with instructions to keep a newly sp/eutered bun in a small area.

From my experiences with sp/euter surgeries, I've never heard of a DVM Rx'ing crushed tablets to place the powder over testicles incision to taste bad and prevent licking. Eeeek!

Is the vet one you found via the House Rabbit Society list that other admins and moderators have posted?

JBun mentioned the opinions we give, however a rabbit-knowledgeable DVM, and certainly a 2nd opinion call to a different DVM, is beneficial.

After your boy is castrated, his newly doctored gems (boy testicles) will shrivel and reduce in size.

Admin JBun commented on, and updated the DVM listings, in a post on May 19, 2018. Title is
Vets near me

-----------------------------------------------------------
Since I joined years ago I thought we had numerous members also adding input on personal experiences with vets in their state. I wasn't able to find that thread in a quick Illinois search moment.

I'm not an expert by any means

However, reading your initial message sounded relatively normal to me.
I had my male bun neutered last year. It is normal for swelling and bruising (purple skin), and scabbing around sutures. After a while, the "nuggets" should decrease in swelling and start to deflate, until eventually, they are virtually unable to be seen without effort.

I'm unsure what the tablets could have been. I will assume the vet knew what they were doing and that they were good for the rabbit. I would recommend possibly googling what the aftermath of neuter in rabbits looks like, to help familiarize yourself with what it can look like and compare what you see on your bun to them.

My general rule of thumb would be to 1: pay attention to your rabbit's behavior. Eating habits, personality changes, activity levels. If anything seems amiss, pay closer attention. Rabbits often show discomfort through those. Of course, with neuter, some personality aspects might change anyway (my rabbit immediately stopped ALL efforts to hump me, which would be a normal change). 2: if there is any form of bad smell from the area that is NOT the normal scent gland smell (coffee mixed with rotten egg or skunk), it might be cause for concern. Keep an eye out for seepage that appears to be opaque white/infection colors.

I would think minor amounts of liquid might occur if the bunny has been irritating it? Perhaps check on it a few times a day to keep the area dry. Maybe wipe with a soft material and water if there's any sign of dirt? And be sure to keep the litter extra clean while he's healing so there's less chance they are rubbing their nuggets/sutures on any bacteria forming in the box.

When my rabbit had his procedure, the only real instructions we had were to limit his movement for about a day or two (no strenuous exercise like running around the yard or house, etc). I checked on his nuggets daily, once in the morning, and once at night just to see how everything was going. He was swollen and bruised for perhaps a week, with visible sutures and minor scabbing. Although I never saw any form of liquid, it's entirely possible my bun was just good at cleaning himself.

TLDR; This sounds normal and if your vet didn't seem too concerned, I think you are fine. Just keep a close eye on any dramatic changes and inform yourself of what it looks like through google to help ease your fears!

Wish you the best,
Scout and his mom :)

Hi My bunny just got neuter 2 days and and today i notice his right testicle is bigger that the left and I'm just worry it might be an infection or it it Normal?

I'm not an expert by any means

However, reading your initial message sounded relatively normal to me.
I had my male bun neutered last year. It is normal for swelling and bruising (purple skin), and scabbing around sutures. After a while, the "nuggets" should decrease in swelling and start to deflate, until eventually, they are virtually unable to be seen without effort.

I'm unsure what the tablets could have been. I will assume the vet knew what they were doing and that they were good for the rabbit. I would recommend possibly googling what the aftermath of neuter in rabbits looks like, to help familiarize yourself with what it can look like and compare what you see on your bun to them.

My general rule of thumb would be to 1: pay attention to your rabbit's behavior. Eating habits, personality changes, activity levels. If anything seems amiss, pay closer attention. Rabbits often show discomfort through those. Of course, with neuter, some personality aspects might change anyway (my rabbit immediately stopped ALL efforts to hump me, which would be a normal change). 2: if there is any form of bad smell from the area that is NOT the normal scent gland smell (coffee mixed with rotten egg or skunk), it might be cause for concern. Keep an eye out for seepage that appears to be opaque white/infection colors.

I would think minor amounts of liquid might occur if the bunny has been irritating it? Perhaps check on it a few times a day to keep the area dry. Maybe wipe with a soft material and water if there's any sign of dirt? And be sure to keep the litter extra clean while he's healing so there's less chance they are rubbing their nuggets/sutures on any bacteria forming in the box.

When my rabbit had his procedure, the only real instructions we had were to limit his movement for about a day or two (no strenuous exercise like running around the yard or house, etc). I checked on his nuggets daily, once in the morning, and once at night just to see how everything was going. He was swollen and bruised for perhaps a week, with visible sutures and minor scabbing. Although I never saw any form of liquid, it's entirely possible my bun was just good at cleaning himself.

TLDR; This sounds normal and if your vet didn't seem too concerned, I think you are fine. Just keep a close eye on any dramatic changes and inform yourself of what it looks like through google to help ease your fears!

Wish you the best,
Scout and his mom :)
Yes you were completely right! It’s been a couple of months since his neuter and he’s a 100% normal now! Sorry for worrying everyone! The vet said it was ok, and to just monitor the site. I went to a vet in Naperville. They’re great!

Hi My bunny just got neuter 2 days and and today i notice his right testicle is bigger that the left and I'm just worry it might be an infection or it it Normal?
I don’t think it’s a problem. If you’re super concerned contact the vet, but the testicles shrink after the neuter. In a few months the testicles shouldn’t even be visible!

Do you have other rabbits you've taken to this vet for neuters? What part of Illinois are you located?

Our DVM doesn't give cisapride or a gut motility med after neuter surgery. Only meloxicam doses, with instructions to keep a newly sp/eutered bun in a small area.

From my experiences with sp/euter surgeries, I've never heard of a DVM Rx'ing crushed tablets to place the powder over testicles incision to taste bad and prevent licking. Eeeek!

Is the vet one you found via the House Rabbit Society list that other admins and moderators have posted?

JBun mentioned the opinions we give, however a rabbit-knowledgeable DVM, and certainly a 2nd opinion call to a different DVM, is beneficial.

After your boy is castrated, his newly doctored gems (boy testicles) will shrivel and reduce in size.
I believe the vet gave guy mobility medicine because my bunny is a Jersey Wooly and he gets gut problems often. It was just a precaution they took. He has a long history of gut problems, and his previous home didn’t research enough on the food that were safe or not, so he has some bad effects from that.

Some swelling after the neuter can be normal. However, if you're unsure if it's normal or not, it would be best to email a photo to your vet and ask them if it's ok. Also, if you have more questions or more to discuss about this, it would be best to start your own thread.

I don’t think it’s a problem. If you’re super concerned contact the vet, but the testicles shrink after the neuter. In a few months the testicles shouldn’t even be visible!
I mean he's eating normal and doing everything like he use to i was just concerned he could have an infection but there no puss or blood and his stitches are fine

Latest posts

Back