got another angora! absolutly horrible condition!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

does this bun call for a bath?

• no

• yes

Results are only viewable after voting.

ruckusluvr

Reaction score
my new Angora is an english! she is a Siamese point with red eyes. She is pretty cute, but I dont do red eyes. LOL She doesnt have a name yet.
The lady that I got her from was moving and couldnt bring the rabbit.

Well the poor bun is very very matted and the mats are stinky and yellow. I cut out many of the mats, I worked on her for an hour today, and I will probably have at least another hour of just trimming mats. even without the mats her back end and back hocks are yellowish orange and smell horrible. Can I give her a bath? I know that rabbits should not have baths, but I think in this case it would be fine. If I bath her back end shouldn't I blow dry it to keep it from staying wet and chilling her?

thanks for any help! I feel like some sort of Angora rescuer since this is my second matted stinky angora in a month! no more bunnies for me, thats for sure.

it makes me so sad to see these poor buns like this. just imagine how many poor angoras are setting in a cage all matted up with pee stuck in their mats

I would avoid doing a full bath. Use a damp cloth (or pet wipes) to wipe her down and try to get some of it out. I believe that vinegar is good for getting stains out of the feet. Corn starch can be good for strains and dirt in the coat. Get what you can off now, then give her a few days to get used to it and see if she improves. She may not have been able to groom herself properly if she was severally matted. Stick with cleaning the really bad parts. A bath along with the grooming can be too much stress for her right now. As she hasn't been well groomed before, even the handling could be a bit much. I would only do what is absolutely necessary for now, then let her settle in and do what else is needed later.

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
I would avoid doing a full bath. Use a damp cloth (or pet wipes) to wipe her down and try to get some of it out. I believe that vinegar is good for getting stains out of the feet. Corn starch can be good for strains and dirt in the coat. Get what you can off now, then give her a few days to get used to it and see if she improves. She may not have been able to groom herself properly if she was severally matted. Stick with cleaning the really bad parts. A bath along with the grooming can be too much stress for her right now. As she hasn't been well groomed before, even the handling could be a bit much. I would only do what is absolutely necessary for now, then let her settle in and do what else is needed later.

This is a wise reply..

We want to undertand everything going on with your new rabbit so the more info we get theeasier it is for us to help .

Could you read this link and give us basic info ?

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=44529&forum_id=16

Yeah, I agree. Let her settle in a bit before doing anything that involved. I'd recommend shaving her when she's calm enough. That is supposed to be the best way to take care of angoras that aren't used for fiber or show.

angieluv, i just brought home this bun and cannot answer really any of the questions.
no she is no spayed yet.
i have no idea about anything else, since she has only been in my care for 3 hours now.

Thanks for all the advice. she did great with the handling, but i could tell she was getting a bit tired of it, so i put her up.
do you think about a week is long enough to let her settle in before i shear her?

You probably don't need to wait a week. If she is really badly matted, it would be better to do it sooner rather than later. The longer you leave it, the worse it can get. If you use clippers, it goes faster and can be safer than scissors.
I mostly would wait to do bathing or something like that. Getting rid of the matts is much more important than getting her really clean.
You could wait until tomorrow or Saturday to sheer her, but I would not want to wait much longer. If she is calm and settling in well, she should be OK to be sheered.

ruckusluvr wrote:
angieluv, i just brought home this bun and cannot answer really any of the questions.
no she is no spayed yet.
i have no idea about anything else, since she has only been in my care for 3 hours now.

Thanks for all the advice. she did great with the handling, but i could tell she was getting a bit tired of it, so i put her up.
do you think about a week is long enough to let her settle in before i shear her?
That's OK ..we are just encouraging people to fill out that info when they post soI am folowing protocol.
I could not shear a rabbit myself soI guess that I would say that you shouldn't do it if you don't know how as it involves skill ; it is easy to accidentally cut a rabbit

i am actually a dog groomer, and we shear cats and angoras too :)
it is very easy to cut i rabbit i have read, but luckily it have never done it.

I will take her in for a shear today. I want her hair to grow back out before it gets too cold!

Update? I am a sucker for matted angoras, have seen several in my time. I hope she is ok! I would also like to ad you can rip the bunny's skin just by pulling to hard on a mat!

HopsandLops wrote:
Update? I am a sucker for matted angoras, have seen several in my time. I hope she is ok! I would also like to ad you can rip the bunny's skin just by pulling to hard on a mat!
We had a fuzzy lop come into rescue so badly matted that he had to be shaved under anesthesia. The matts had ripped his skin in several place and had to be glued back together.

That's awesome that you got her all fixed up. I met an angora for the first time a few days ago at the local humane society. I gotta say she was hilarious to watch since all I could see was a giant ball of fluff.

Latest posts

Back