Goodbye Black Jack

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in shock. I thought he was improving :(.

Rest in peace and binky free, Jack :rainbow::rabbithop

Too many precious babies have been taken from us in the past weeks :cry4:.

Ohgosh, Michelle..

I am so sorry.. I took a look at your blog and saw the note at the end and my heart sank, I could not believe it.. I didn't see his name on the rainbow bridge thread, and when I did I was absolutely devastated..

Jack is such a handsome little fella with an amazing spirit and an endlessly loving personality, his loss is just too terrible to express. I'm so shocked and stunned, how tragic.

Jack would always make me giggle with his little antics, he was such a doll. I can't even imagine what you are going through, and it hurts knowing I can't comfort you more than just in words.. Jack was an amazing bunny, and it's heart breaking.. I just can't grasp the terrible, terrible, reality of him being gone, it can't be happening. I know how much you love him, and I'm just devastated for you.

My love and thoughts are with you.

:tears2:

I hurt so bad. Everything feels wrong. I keep seeing black things...speakers, shoes, cables, and want to destroy them. How dare they be black when my special little black guy is gone?

I look at the other rabbits and feel numb. Why do they get to live when he doesn't?

I wonder, if I had just kissed him on his little head one last time, would that have stopped it from happening? if I had just...not eaten for a day...gone without something...would that have changed the balance in the world and Jack would be ok?

I feel such huge dispair it feels like it's eating me alive.

When I found him he was curled around his food bowl and must have been eating because he had been digging out his pellets to get to the single sultana I would hide at the bottom for him. It was a me and Jack thing.

Guys, he never got his sultana. That is the worst thing right now. All he wanted was his sultana.

OMG!!! Michelle, are you going to be okay?
I am so so sorry for your loss!!

I live in Auckland too as you know, is there anything I can do for you?

He was so loved.
Please take care of yourself...
Lisa

OMG!!!:shock: Michelle, I'm so sorry! I thought he was getting better!

I cannot believe your beautiful boy has gone.:bigtears:

I know how much he meant to you, I can't believe he has gone. :(

Please take care and please feel free to PM me anytime. I know what you mean about seeing black things, everytime I saw my black cat Keyra I thought it was Milly. Or Ikept expecting him to come boundering up after her.

Binky free little Jack :rainbow:play with Milly at the bridge, 2 beautiful black loppy boys together.....life is so unfair. :(

my thoughts are with you during this time michelle. i can see how dearly you love your bun, and he knew it, i'm sure.

*big big hugs*

Oh my gosh Michelle, I can't believe this, I just saw the title and welled up...I feel numb. :cry2

Please don't blame yourself, it is not your fault at all. He had a good life with you even though it was cut short, he was loved so much, by you and many of us here.

Be strong Michelle :hug2:

Binky free Jack, you will be missed so so so much. :rainbow:

[align=center]Jacks Story
The Velveteen Bunny[/align]

Some time late February this year, I was browsing the classified adverts on a lacal buy and sell website. Every single day since I can remember, I have checked out the classified ads for the bunnies without fail.

I came across an advert for a pair of bunnies needing to find new homes. They both had seperate cages and the owners were wanting to sell them for $100 each. One rabbit was white, the other was black. I didn't think too much of it, till about a week later there was a thread started on the message board of the buy/sell website. It was the owner of the bunnies lamenting that nobody was willing to give them a home. I piped up that I would love to offer one of the bunnies a home, but couldn't afford the $100 price tag at that point of time. They then told me to email them through the classified for "Velveteen"

"Hi, it's me here from the message board :) I would love to give a home to at least one of your fur babies! Velveteen in particular - I love dark coloured lops. I have two mini lops of my own, both desexed and bonded (male/female pair). I'd just have to sort out some housing. Email me ok? Michelle"

The reply came the following day, on the 22[sup]nd[/sup] February.

“Hi Michelle

I am so excited that Velveteen has found a good home. It definitely sounds like he will have a great new life, with some new friends too.
Its exciting, but sad too as we have been through a lot with this rabbit especially, so I’m glad that he will be taken care of. I want to fill you in on what happened with him (we actually thought he was a she for a good 2 or 3 months!). We took him out of his hutch one day and noticed that he wasn’t hopping, he was just dragging his back feet around. Immediately took him to the after hours vet. We were told that it was some sort of spinal injury, actual diagnosis is unable to be determined with out x-rays ($200 +). So the vet said to us, lets have hope and give him the benefit of the doubt that it is just a slipped disk. So we took him home, he was put into a smaller cage to restrict movement and was on anti-inflammatory for 2 weeks. Its been about a month or so since we put him back in the larger hutch and he is fine now. Some times he wobbles a bit, but generally he bounces around like a happy little bunny.
I must tell you that the photos of him are of when he was much younger, he is now a lot bigger… but still as cute!!
Ive attached a picture of what the Hutch is like (not actual hutch, ours, the base is Red and caging is yellow. Does have the house & water bottle – also have a litter tray and food bowl).
Would you like to meet him first or do you still even want him!! Lol, sorry I hope I haven’t scared you off. We live in the City. I will be out most of Saturday as my best friend is going to live in Oz so will be at the airport with her. Please just let me know what you would like to do and Im happy to work in around you.
Thanks again.
Katie
”

We emailed that night back and forth a lot – I found out that Velveteen loved bok choy, hay, parsley, banana and strawberry.

We arranged for Katie to bring Velveteen over that following Sunday. I was really nervous – I felt like I was under inspection and that he was a special bunny and needed to approve of me first. I spent that weekend mowing lawns, cleaning windows, even cleaned the house with a hose and broom. I think I was chatting to someone from RO that morning on MSN about how nervous I was, if they remember it was them tell me so I can add you to the story.

Well Sunday came and Katie and her partner came over with Velveteen. I was elated! He was totally my kind of bunny. He was funny looking with long ears and a dopey expression. I took to him immediately.

The name Velveteen didn’t sit right with me – it didn’t fit him at all and I knew he didn’t like it, I could just tell. So I asked on here what people thought. Some of the name suggestions were a bit girly, and I liked Black Jack. Right away he seemed to know that was his name, and from then on he was Jack.

I got to know Jack well as time went on. His funny walk from his spinal injury never bothered him and he never let it get in the way of life and having fun. Jack was a very laid back bunny – even when people he had never met came to see him, he would flop out in front of them and not even bother to get up when they started petting him on the head.

Days came and went, and Luey and Annabell the bunnies joined our lives. Jack and Luey liked eachother, I wanted to get them both neutered and bond them. But that was not to be so. My partner and I had reached a critical point in our relationship, a lot of it was me not being able to let go of things and move on, and for him it was some issues with depression which were taking over him as a person and clouding his judgement. Things reached a terrible point and he wanted me gone – I guess I wanted to go too, but what about my babies? In desperation I went back to the very message board where Katie had talked about Jack and with the help of the people I knew from there, I had places for the bunnies to go. I really don’t want to dredge all that up again right now, maybe one day in the future.

Jack went to stay with a girl called Lani, who took him lovingly into her heart and home, but always said I could have Jack back if I wanted. Finally the time came when I was able to have Jack again and Lani was driving up to Auckland anyway so she brought him back up with her. I was so excited! I had him back!
[line]

The rest of the story will follow at some other time, I have been awake almost all night and right now just want to fall into the bed and sleep sleep sleep. Thank you so much for all the support everyone, means the world to me.

i've been very moved by your story of Jack.

he was an adorable bun, and i'm terribly sorry for your loss.:hug1
-sabrina

Memories of Jack :rose:

His first photo's I took.

DSC08112Medium.jpg

DSC08115Medium.jpg

DSC08116Medium.jpg

DSC08109.jpg

DSC08104.jpg

The picture I used of him when I had a one of those fancy flashing avatars.

Untitled-4.jpg

Jack the runway model.

DSC08169Small.jpg

DSC08170Small.jpg

DSC08167Small.jpg

DSC08163Small.jpg

DSC08158Small.jpg

DSC08157Small.jpg

DSC08154Small.jpg

DSC08153Small.jpg

DSC08150Small.jpg

DSC08147Small.jpg