good pellet or mix food for rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacblades

Reaction score
i just gota bunny today (fromthe reptile show!) and i dont know too much about rabbits. (i have alot of guinea pigs though) and i would like to know what some of thebest foods are. i bought a bag of mazuri and a bag of timothycomplete. are these good? what do yall use? any suggestions?

i have PLENTY of timothy hay for her to munch on too.

thanks in advance

+jac+

Hi and welcome, if you read the cheat sheet ofr bunnies thta is postedup the topof the forum list that may help you with some things.

Our Bindy eats pellets and unlimited amounts of hay, I normally get her pellets from a pet store that I trust where I live.

Depending on the age of your bun I'd say pellets to start with and hayare fine and then you can slowly introduce greens when they are alittle older.

Welcome and hope you get some useful info from being here, I tend toread back through old posts to get tips I find that helps me a lot

i checked both of those links and got no answer to my question.

im sorry you dont like hearing the same questions over and over but idid do a search and could not find a thread that had brandrecommendations. if you couldlink me tosuch athread, i wont bother you with any more questions.

i just want the best pellet food for my rabbit.

I'm in Australia so telling you a brand probably won't help you as theyare not all the same here, if you look for a pellet that has about 18%or so of fibre would be good(which was listed in the rabbit cheat sheetinformation post).

Look for a pellet that is bland looking , not colourful as some ofthe colourful pellets have not much nutritional value in them.

If you are in The States I have heard about OXBOW (sp) maybe you could do a search on that and see what pops up.

Sorry I can't give you all the answers you want.

jacblades wrote:
i checked both of those links and got no answer to my question.

im sorry you dont like hearing the same questions over and over but idid do a search and could not find a thread that had brandrecommendations. if you couldlink me tosuch athread, i wont bother you with any more questions.

i just want the best pellet food for my rabbit.

Hey, it's ok!:D

I use Purina Rabbit Chow, standard formula (green bag). A breeder recommended it to me years ago and I still use it.

Supplements/treats can include small amounts of dry rolled oats, driedwhole wheat bread, and timothy hay. You can feed very limited greens(maple, grass, dandelions--make sure no pesticides!!), but I wouldmaybe hold off until he/she adjusts to the diet change, so you don'toverwhelm its poor little stomach.

Good luck, ask away....you're welcome to send me a PM (private message)if you need help (just click my username on the left side of my posts).

Welcome!

Rose

i am in the us. i would just like to know whatother americans feed their bunnies. i assume people on this board onlyfeed their rabbits the best and i want to as well. i love (some say'spoil') my animals to death. of course i will be giving fresh veggieswhich i give to my guinea pigs every day anyways. i have plenty ofalfalfa and timothy hay as well.

i didnt know oxbow made rabbit food-i know they manufacture hay and make guinea pig food.

i work at petsmart and we really only carry5 rabbit foods(mazuri, timothy complete, fiesta nutriphase and brown's) so i got whati thought was best today.

jacblades wrote:
i am in the us. i would just like to know what other americans feed their bunnies.

i didnt know oxbow made rabbit food-i know they manufacture hay and make guinea pig food.

I don't know if they do or not I just said maybe you could do a search on it as I had heard it mentioned here before :)
Like I said I am in Australia so I was just offering an avenue for you to do some reasearch on.

As I said before, sorry I can't give you all the answers

Usually, the feed that comes from pet chainstores is not highly recommended and most experienced rabbit fanciersbuy pellets from bonifide feed stores where the chances are better ofgetter fresher, higher quality pelleted feed. The feed storescater to equestrian types, ranchers, farmer,poultry raisersand rabbit fanciers.

There are many, many manufacturers of high quality rabbitpellets. The Cheat Sheet for Rabbit Care link on thecontents window will point our some of the criteria to look for in afeed. Each brand will have its proponents, as well asdetractors. Much of it has to do with personal preferences,relative age of the rabbits being fed, for what purpose the rabbit isbeing grown, whether their will be breeding going on, cost factors andso on.

Some of the more established names include OxBow, Purina, Heinold, BlueSeal, Nutreena, to name but a few. To make it even morecomlex there are a mutitude of local brands that are not soldnationally that may be as good, or better than nationalbrands. In addition, national brands can vary depending uponmanufacturing conditions at different mills around the country.

Generally speaking, a lot of people feed an alfalfa based feed of15-18% protein, backed up with hay, usually of the the timothyvariety. We just now are running a thread on hay that youmight find of interest, if you will scroll down the contents window tofind the link.

Another recommendation would be ask breeders in your area what theyfeed and why? Find breeders at local rabbit shows byaccessing show dates athttp://www.arba.net/

I, personally, use Purina Advanced Show Formula(blue bag).

Buck

I use Habitrail Rabbit Pellets for Peppy and Samson, Maggie gets a no name brand because she won't eat anything else.

I try to stick to one brand, but I pretty much buy whatever I can afford.

Just for the sake of curiosity, why were there rabbits at the reptile show?

If it was for obvious reasons, and while I understand the necessity forreptiles to eat, I do hope you do it in as an humanely fashion aspossible and do not live feed.

I would find it difficult to provide you with any more help orassistance if I had reason to believe otherwise...speaking soley formyself, you understand?

Buck

Buck Jones wrote:
Just for the sake of curiosity, why were there rabbits at the reptile show?

If it was for obvious reasons, and while I understand the necessity forreptiles to eat, I do hope you do it in as an humanely fashion aspossible and do not live feed.

I would find it difficult to provide you with any more help orassistance if I had reason to believe otherwise...speaking soley formyself, you understand?

Buck
the rabbits are sold as feeders for large snakes.

no, i dont have a snake. i really like snakes but could never have oneas they must be fed rats, mice or other small animals. (i, myself donteven eat meat)

all of my 9 guinea pigs have come from the reptile show (they are sold as feeders too)

one of my pet mice also came from there :)

jacblades wrote:
Buck Jones wrote:
Just for thesake of curiosity, why were there rabbits at the reptile show?

Buck
the rabbits are sold as feeders for large snakes.

no, i dont have a snake. i really like snakes but could never have oneas they must be fed rats, mice or other small animals. (i, myself donteven eat meat)

all of my 9 guinea pigs have come from the reptile show (they are sold as feeders too)

one of my pet mice also came from there :)
That's great that you rescued all those animals from reptile shows ;)

They're lucky to have you!!

-Jenn

here is a crappy picture i took with my phone.

she loves to run around on my bed. 2 of my fish are on-looking in the background :)

Photo63.bmp

I think live feed can be cruel - I know it'simportant for reptiles to eat live meat but often rabbits, guinea pigs,rats and mice are kept in unsuitable and cruel conditions prior tobeing 'fed' to the reptiles. :X It's great that youwere able to rescue some critters from the reptile shows.:cool:

i dont have any sort of scale to weigh her on but she is actually pretty small sized.

she was the only female in a tub full of males. is it possible for herto be pregnant? (i ask becasue 2 of the guinea pigs i have bought fromthere were pregnant)

i know she is young but i do not know how young.

jacblades wrote:
i dont have any sort of scale to weigh her on but she isactually pretty small sized.

she was the only female in a tub full of males. is it possible for herto be pregnant? (i ask becasue 2 of the guinea pigs i have bought fromthere were pregnant)

i know she is young but i do not know how young.

She could be...I don't know much about how to tell if a bunny ispregnant :? There area lot of people herethat probably could help you out though. :D

Latest posts

Back