Good News!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcohen1982

Reaction score
Well, I went to my very first show this past weekend in Sedalia, MO. It was 2 shows and also a specialty show.I had a BLAST! I learned alot of great things and everyone was SO helpful! I didn't feel out of place like I usually do in social situations, I felt welcomed. This is who I took....

FFR's Tzel-Junior Black MR Buck

FFR's Teme-Junior Broken Black MR Doe

Reed's Comfy-Senior Castor Doe

Show 1: Tzel-The judge hated him, and the judge says that he bit him :(

Teme-Very promising, very good head, nice length, fur not finished

Comfy-Out of condition, good length, nice head

Show 2: Tzel-very good length, small head, thin fur

Teme-Very promising, fur not finished

Comfy-I scratched due to condition of fur

Specialty Show: Tzel-thin fur, very good length, very promising

Teme-Very promising, fur not finished. Place 1 out of 5.

Comfy-Nice doe, good length, nice head, fur out of condition

I also got a Senior Broken Castor Buck at the show! :)

All in all it was a great learning experience and I can't wait til my next show in February!

Rachel

Congratulations on your first show! Im glad you enjoyed it and its so fun catching the show bug :D

Thanks everyone! I had a blast! :) As far as Tzel biting, I don't know. He has never bitten anyone before. But, even though the judge hated him, I got other opinions on him. Cause I was really discouraged after that. I spent alot of money on that one rabbit...ALOT. So I am glad he did better in the other shows and hope his coat comes in soon! Anyone have any ideas to help his coat along?

Rachel

A LOT of brushing. Also, different feeds actually help the coat look healthier and shinier. Some breeders have told me to use baby wipes right before a show(never tried it) There's grooming spray and various supplements like showbloom and enhancer. w.e works for you and your rabbits:biggrin:

for mini rex down here people just spritz with water before the show and rub it in with their hands or a soft towel. Just make sure the fur isnt wet when they go on the judging table. Using a lint roller or the grooming stone(its a little gray rock used for horse grooming)helps get the dead hair off. And often times its genetic or seasonal. Like my brit has good coat from november to march and the rest is just ugly. He is on Purina and stays in side so i have come to the conclusion that he just has bad hair genetics and wait to win untill the good hair comes in. lol

for mine I brush them but also dry ath them once a month to every two weeks depends on the coat.

brush the fur with a grooming or slicker brush (i only use the sliker on show day)

the brush with a horse soft brush then a rabbit soft brush

apply dry shampoo work through with sliker brush

brush out as much as possible with slicker and horse brushes

spritz with warm water

work with towel to get remaining shampoo out

brush with slicker brushthen horse brushthen rabbit brush

I do this the day of show w/o the grooming brush-i use the grooming brush 3 or 4 days before show-and it makes their coat nice and soft.

feed def makes a dif. I went through tons of dif feeds but my bunnies no matter te breed could not be softer than they are now on the pellets i feed.

My methods work for me. My MR buck has multiple best fur ribbons and the judges that have judge him say that his fur is perfect-soft, dense, thick, etc.-even my crossbred go comments from all the judges that his fur was soft and thick. this may not work for you but it works for me.

Crystal

Oh My Darlin Rabbitry wrote:
feed def makes a dif. I went through tons of dif feeds but my bunnies no matter te breed could not be softer than they are now on the pellets i feed.

Crystal
What type of feed do you use?

Latest posts

Back