Good "Firsts" For Young Rabbit?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyCait

Reaction score
I think it's high time we try introducing Mary Jane to fresh foods.

Tonight I made a salad and kept little bits of what went in it out and in a bowl, but I need to know what would be good for her to try first. Here is what I have:

Cilantro
Spinach (probably not for her first, kinda rich)
Butterleaf lettuce
Romaine lettuce
Tomato
Cucumber
Carrot
Celery

I also kept the husk off one of the corns we did up, somewhere I read this would be okay for bunnies but I'm not 100% on that.

What do you think guys?

Sounds good. Some of my guys like corn husks, but most don't really like them. I don't think they're terribly nutritious. I don't give my guys butter lettuce, but it might be ok. Some people also don't like to give celery because the strings can get stuck in teeth and it's not supposed to be very nutritious either. My guys like it, so I give just a bit and tear it into pretty small pieces before I give it to them. Just make sure to go slow, as I'm sure you know.

I would suggest only trying one new food at once because that way if it upsets her tummy you know exactly what has done it. Remember to only give a teeny tiny piece and look to increase that gradually over the next few days watching her poos for 24 hours after her trying it to see if there is a problem.

I think romaine is an excellent one to start with. I rarely feed most of what you have on that list, mine seem to like basil, parsley and mint above most things.

My list:

Turnip greens (home-grown)
Kale
Dandelion (home-grown)
Dill
Cilantro (they LOVE this)
Parsley (home-grown)
Romaine (home-grown)
Carrot (very small amount)
Collard greens

The adults get the larger share, and usually just 2 of the list - the babies get a smaller share of the same.

SunnyCait wrote:
I think it's high time we try introducing Mary Jane to fresh foods.

Tonight I made a salad and kept little bits of what went in it out and in a bowl, but I need to know what would be good for her to try first. Here is what I have:

Cilantro
Spinach (probably not for her first, kinda rich)
Butterleaf lettuce
Romaine lettuce
Tomato
Cucumber
Carrot
Celery
My rabbits like the crunchy stuff like romaine, carrot, celery best. When it comes to celery I hold the stalk and they eat a bite at a time. This way they are cutting it into short pieces with their teeth and bonding with me at the same time. I don't cut unless it's to give each rabbit a seperate piece.

We tried romaine, and she loved it! It was only two leaves but it's a good start. :D

I'm excited for her to try other things, but we'll go slowly.

Poos were fine! But I read somewhere on here that I should wait until she is 6 months... She's maybe 4-5 now. Should I stop and wait again, or continue on as she's having no problems?

SunnyCait wrote:
Poos were fine! But I read somewhere on here that I should wait until she is 6 months... She's maybe 4-5 now. Should I stop and wait again, or continue on as she's having no problems?
According to the House Rabbit Society, you should be fine:
"12 weeks--introduce vegetables (one at a time, quantities under 1/2 oz.)"
( http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/diet.html )

I still don't know where the "six months" thing comes from, but IMO it's just like an "old wive's tale". Unfortunately it keeps coming up.

Since your bunny is still young you can give foods higher in calcium--spinach is fine. Ours also liked brocoli and brussel sprouts. Everything we've read says to stay away from "lettuce" except Romaine. All the other leafy greens are fine. Foods to limit are the ones high in sugar--carrots and all fruits. We give our rabbits green beans, dandelion, parsely, Italian parsely, cilantro, kale, carrot, apple, banana, and just about any that ends in "greens".

Whew... Thanks for that correction, Hilde! I thought I had messed up, haha. She's good to go for fresh stuff then. Yay!

I think we might try cilantro tonight, since we always have some. I'm glad to hear she can have spinach too, as that's the same as cilantro, we always have it. Also tons of dandelions around (untreated and pesticide free).

I'd love to grow some herbs and things like that inside, where she can have fresh stuff all the time and not just when the grocers have it.

Latest posts

Back