Good Day/Bad Day

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pamnock

Reaction score
Matthew is very excited to have his very firstlitter of baby bunnies! Four perfect little Dwarf Hotots.

I also got to meet"mambo 101" from the forum who came out today :)

On a sad note, Matthew's other doe that was due today suffered a prolapsed uterus and had to be put down :(:(

Pam

Oh that's wonderful about the kits, but so awful about the poor doe! I hope Matthew is okay! He must be devastated about losing her! :(

*hugs*

Ang xx

Matthew was sad, but understood that there was nothing we could do for her :( Of course, he insisted on a detailed explaination of exactly what was wrong.

Pam

Pam, it wasn't one of the new polish buns wasit?? Matthew sounds like a real trooper, I'm sure it helps to have fournew kits to think about. I think that is great that he wanted tounderstand exactly what happened. You are sure going to have a verywell-rounded child! Tell Matthew good luck with the kits andCONGRATULATIONS!!

Fergi's mom

awww thats aweful! i lost my baby 2months ago(i've had her for about 8 9 years) im sooo sorry on your loss, butatleast you have her babies that has her blood in her! (thats what ifigured out from that but if not im sorry) i remember my mom and dad'sfriend wanted to breed my rabbit when she was like 7 years old, i toldhim no because i felt it she was too old for it! again im sorry!

Oh no what a wonderful start to the day for himand then for that to happen. The poor little boy! Congratulations tohim on is first litter but I am so sorry he lost his other bunny andthe babies - so sad :(. I will be thinking about him.

Vickie

So glad you got to meet mambo101 today! :)

I'll write Matthew a note in his 'you've got mail' post.

Thanks for news, Pam.

-Carolyn

Congratulations Matthew on the first litter. Iknow he had to be very excited. I'm sorry about the doe. That's so sad.:?

What causes the uterus to prolapse? What are the symptoms? I'm curious. I think that's the first time I've ever heard of that.

Lanna

Thankfully, it was not his new Polish. Those won't be old enough to breed until February.

I am not certain how common a prolapsed uterus is. There is not much documentation on it in rabbits, and it is only the second time I've actually seen it. The first one happened years ago, and she had also never seen a prolapsed uterus in a rabbit. It can happen as with any other species -- due to weak muscular and ligament structure around the uterus, straining can literally push the uterus out. Tumors and genetics may also predispose a doe to prolapse.

The first sign of trouble with this doe was the fact that she passed a little blood a couple days ago. When mambo 101 came over, we went out to the rabbitry and Inoted blood in the pan and on the doe's feet. I picked her up to examine her and the uteruswas protruding out.

In the first case, the doe had a possible viral infection, may have been straining and it caused the uterus to prolapse. The uterus may only slightly prolapse, not protrude and may not even cause any symptoms in some cases. Leaking urine, discharge, and frequent bladder infections may indicate a mild prolapse.

Pam

Sounds painful for the baby girl.

:(

-Carolyn

She was crying a little at first, but did munch on a little hay. Ryan said he would "take care of her for me", so I bundled her up in a towel handed her gently over and went to wait in the barn. Ryan quickly dispatched her with a hand gun and said not to worry, that she wentinstantly & amp; was not afraid.

It's one of thosevery, very, verydifficult aspects of raising animals :(

Pam

pamnock wrote:
Thankfully, it was not his new Polish. Those won'tbe old enough to breed until February.

I am not certain how common a prolapsed uterus is. There isnot much documentation on it in rabbits, and it is only the second timeI've actually seen it. The first one happened years ago, andshe had also never seen a prolapsed uterus in a rabbit. Itcan happen as with any other species -- due to weak muscular andligament structure around the uterus, straining can literally push theuterus out. Tumors and genetics may also predispose a doe to prolapse.

The first sign of trouble with this doe was the fact that she passed alittle blood a couple days ago. When mambo 101 came over, wewent out to the rabbitry and Inoted blood in the pan and onthe doe's feet. I picked her up to examine her and the uteruswas protruding out.

In the first case, the doe had a possible viral infection, may havebeen straining and it caused the uterus to prolapse. Theuterus may only slightly prolapse, not protrude and may not even causeany symptoms in some cases. Leaking urine, discharge, andfrequent bladder infections may indicate a mild prolapse.

Pam
A family member had a dog that prolapsed also. Shewas able to get her in to the vet and they did a full spay on her. She's fine. I don't know about bunnies and this condition tho :(

Thanks Pam for answering those questions. That has to be so hard to see, and I hope I never have that problem.

Lanna

It's possible that a full spay at that pointcould have been done (she was not going into shock, nor was the bleeding excessive), however it's $200+ (plus afterhours/weekendcost)that I just don't have :(

Pam

pamnock wrote:
It'spossible that a full spay at that pointcould have been done(she was not going into shock, nor was the bleeding excessive), howeverit's $200+ (plus after hours/weekendcost)that Ijust don't have :(

Pam
I understand :( I hate those decisions to make.

pamnock wrote:
...Ryan quickly dispatched her with a hand gun andsaid not to worry, that she wentinstantly & was notafraid.

So sorry to hear of the loss. It is never easy, especiallywhen you have to do it yourself. Been there, donethat. Feel for you.

Buck

Right there withyou Buck and Pam. I was raised in a family that took care of thosethings themselves also. It never meant anyone cared any less for ananimal. It was just the way it was. It's only been in the "recent" pastthat putting an animal down at a veterinary was even an realisticoption for most people. I think most breeders of any animals take careof those matters themselves.

I will also go to the "Matthew" post to make my congratulatory remarks! :)

Raspberry

pamnock wrote:
Shewas crying a little at first, but did munch on a little hay.Ryan said he would "take care of her for me", so I bundled her up in atowel handed her gently over and went to wait in the barn.Ryan quickly dispatched her with a hand gun and said not to worry, thatshe wentinstantly & was not afraid.

Pam

Oh how painfully heartbreaking that must be for you Pam. At least the poor girl is at peace now and isn't suffering!

Vickie

This is one of the things that is not fun, but happens every once-in-awhile. I did get so I could put the uterus back in a ewe, sew her up, have her live, and lamb again. Had to cut the stitches when she started into labor. And the uterus didn not come back out again.Trying to do that with a rabbit might be an entirely different story.....the space being so small! I never did have a doe who prolapsed. Just lucky, I guess!

- Dolores

Dolores Lindvall wrote:
This is one of the things that is not fun, but happens everyonce-in-awhile. I did get so I could put the uterus back in aewe, sew her up, have her live, and lamb again. Had to cutthe stitches when she started into labor. And the uterus didnnot come back out again. Trying to do that with a rabbitmight be an entirely different story.....the space being sosmall! I never did have a doe who prolapsed. Justlucky, I guess!

- Dolores

The thought did briefly cross my mind :( They do it with cowsalso. There is the issue that if there is a chancethat it's a hereditary pre-disposition, I wouldn't want to continuebreeding that genetic weakness into the line.

Pam

Latest posts

Back