Good Bunny Names

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowyShiloh

Reaction score
Hello! I've been thinking of names for my soon to be bunnies. They will be coming from a rabbit rescue or shelter so they'll probably already have names, but I want to name them myself. Watership Down by Richard Adams is one of my favorite books and because of it, I think of nature/Irish/Welsh/English/Scottish etc names as being especially appropriate for rabbits. I heard the name Rhiordan years ago and immediately thought it was perfect for a boy bunny with the nickname Rory (I can't help but shorten my pets names, regardless of whether it sounds good or not, so I've learned to just pick names that have a good nickname). So if one of the bunnies is a boy, I'm going to call him that. For the other rabbit, I'm really liking Thlayli. Thlayli is the name of Bigwig from Watership Down in their rabbit language. The fictional Thlayli is a boy, but I think it's lovely for either gender. If my bunny is a girl, I'll probably want to call her Thlayli Mae or Thlayli Rose or something. What do you guys think of Rhiordan (Rory) and Thlayli? Also, if you'd like to share, how did your bunnies get their names? I know someone here has a rabbit named Onion "because he's white and made me cry when I got him", I love that! :balloons:

Cool names, I like them a lot! You are lucky you have names already picked out. I have such a hard time naming my pets, lol!

Here are my rabbits and their names with stories:

Styme- He was named when I got him at a year old. It's a golfing term and I thought it was cute, so I kept it. It's worked for him for over 10 years now, lol, so I guess it's a good name :)

Fiona- She was just 'bunny' for the longest time. I could not pick a name for her. But she developed such an 'I'm a Princes' attitude as she got older that I ended up naming her Fiona.

Uno- He was froma litter of Checkered's whose mom died when they were about 11-12 days old. I hand fed the litter of five. In order to keep track of who was who (all were marked similarly) I wrote the numbers 1 through5 in each of their ears with a marked. He was number one and ended up being my favorite of the litter. Hence Numero Uno!

Mokey, Wimbley, Gobo- I always have a much easier time naming litters, cause I can pick a theme. This litter's theme came from the Fraggle Rock tv show from the 80's.

Some of my past litters had fun themes. I had a Beatle's litter. Names were Penny Lane, Lucy, Eleanor Rigby, Ringo... I also did a 50's Rock N' Roll theme, too. Names were Good Golly Miss Molly, Chubby Checkers, etc....

Clarzoo, I often have a hard time picking names for my pets, too. That's why I like having names ready! Sometimes I end up naming them something else anyway, but the point is that they have a name ready for them so they don't end up being named Little Bird for all eternity. As you can see, I learned this from experience :biggrin2: I got two young male cockatiels a few years ago and just could not decide on a name for the first one. He ended up being called Yellow Bird for 5 years. Cockatiels can live to be 30 or so, and that's a long time to be called by a dumb name! About a year ago I decided that he WOULD have a real name, and chose Luca. I had been sort of trying to think of a good name for him all that time, and Luca fit. Happily enough, I have no trouble thinking of him as Luca now, so he finally has a name! A couple months after I got him, I got a second cockatiel and named him Nicholas, I already had the name chosen and it was perfect. A few days later, my mom told me she hated that name and I had to pick something else. We couldn't agree on anything though, so he was known as Little Bird his entire life (he died unexpectedly a year ago). This is why I pick names ahead of time!

SweetPeasMommie, I think those are very nice names! Do you have bunnies with all those names?

It really depends on the bunny. I like creative names, or ones from specific cultures or mythology. Irish names would be awesome! These are my rabbits' names:

Mocha: Named by hubby. Dark brown and hyper!
Loki: Norse trickster god (bonded to Mocha, but I want a Freya for him!)
Fey: Otherwordly, like a fairy
Sprite (her sister, RIP): Small spunky fairy
Oberon (bonded to Fey): Shakespeare's lord of the fairies

Other random names I like: Kenshin (anime), Ninja, Vodka and Saki for a pair, Galileo, Dante

How about Celtic deities? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Celtic_deities
My favorites:
Male: Nodens, Robur, Segomo, Taranis, Alaunus, Bran, Llyr/Lir, Dylan, Taliesin (also a famous building), Cian, Lugh, Midir

Female: Aveta, Brigantia, Damona, Sirona, Sulis, Branwen, Rhiannon, Olwen, Aine, Brigid, Danu, Ethne, Niamh, Beira

i like to use human names. . . to narrow that down, i like to use "old people" names. . .

winnie, herman, emma. . .

i really like the name winston, ruthie, leland, tucker, rose, violet, norbert, reggie, gatsby, silas (i LOVE the name silas). . .

winnie is really winchescha. . . she kinda picked the name out when i was listing of names from a bunny book, she did a binki after i said winnie. . . then i got mad at her for chewing something and said 'no winchescha' and that stuck

herman was a herman. . . there couldn't have been a more perfect goofy boy name for him

emma is my sweet little southern bell. . . i has fallowed suit with winnie, and emma's full name is emmalena. . . because it works, and i was originally going to call her lena. .

Latest posts

Back