Going vegetarian

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cinnabun, im sooooooo sorry, i didnt know, i apologise so badd. i feel like an idiot, im soo sorry.

thank you for not hating me forever.. thank you for the advice and i will take it into consideration.

cinnabun, ur bunny is beautiful on ur avatar.well if the mods want, they can delete this whole thread, i think thistopic is closed cause i think we finished the arguments.

MyBunnyLovesMe wrote:
No offence, but, I don't think you're getting yourinformation right about how cows are raised.

I have several farmer friends who raise both dairy and meat cows.
I come from cow country -- Alberta. Many of my family members arecattlefarmers themselves and I know how they are raised. Yesthey are fed a lot, but cows need to eat a lot because of their size.The farmers here do not pump them full of anything to get them to growfaster.

The real reason they want young cows is because the meat is more tender because the muscles have not been used so much.

Two things (I am not a vegetarian):

1) Vegetarians are and can be perfectly healthy. It is a myth that youneed meat to live. Their are vegans who are body builders.Anyone see Spiderman? Toby Maguire bulked up on a vegan diet.

2) Meat eating has been linked to certain cancers, specifically colon cancer. Barbequed meat is especially suspect.

Please don't spread inaccurate information, it is not easy to be avegetarian/vegan anyway, and its exhausting to have to go to battledaily with people who are misinformed. I was a vegan for severalyears, and I got tired real fast of people's immediatedefensiveness, as if somehow my choice not to eat meat was condemningtheir choice to eat meat.

Please don't jump to the defensive: most vegetarians don't care that you eat meat ;)

oh good griefanother PETA convert before you actually go aheadand fall for their iggnorant views onanimals and meat eaters ingeneral you had better do some seriousresearch into what they are what they standfor how they go aboutdoing things they are classified as a terrorist group . alongwith a few others. do you erally wantto be part of a terrorist group ?how would you feel if one ofthese PETA people came to yourschool , your childss school andtold all the children tobasically hate their parentsbecause ( their words not mine )their parents force themto eat an animal theykilled ( making parents thekillers ) . This happened in mykids school she came hometerrrified to even talk to me for fear iwould kill her is this howyou want to be known ?By all means govegatarian its yourchoice but to belinked with Peta well that isnta good idea . READREAD READ !!!! everything pro andcon on :eta before you hook upwith these people .

gypsy wrote:
This happened in my kids school she came home terrrified toeven talk to me for fear i would kill her is this how you want to beknown ? By all means go vegatarian its your choice but to be linkedwith Peta well that isnt a good idea . READ READ READ !!!! everythingpro and con on :eta before you hook up with these people .

i didnt think they could do that! :shock: and the School allowed themto do that?! i would really complain to the school for that! ESP theteacher! omg! i cant believe they would do that! :shock: thats why iwould NEVER support them.. i dont even support the celbs that are partof PETA.. i just cant beileve they did that! my friend MADE her momdonate 100.00 to them.. i like yelled at her.. and she still LOVESPETA! im just in shock that they did that!

Yes theteacher allowed it believe itor not itsone of them things that happen so darnfast its on the floor beforeanyone could stop it , Peta and assoc.will never be allowed in ourschools ever again let alonethis town it waswrong and morraly corrupt as far as iam concerned ::

i would also like to pass on abit of information that hasnt beencovered here in this thread >

firstof all red meat , whitemeat has been a necessary part ofour evolvation with out meatwe would stillbe in the dark ages no less ormore intellegent than a caveman. it has been proven thatwith the consumption ofmeats in a grain andseed diet intellegence jumped 100%. not only does meatfiber and proteins benifit thebrain it also is whatfuels your body > now youcan get certain proteins fromveggies and soy products butthey are not the same asmeat proteins , also IRON:: (snickerrs) its very hard tofind iron suppliments fromanything other than an animal productis your Mom going tothrow the bill for such anexpensive product ? i know i wouldntyou can eat all the spinich , greenbeans lima beans, favabeans soy beans , etc andyour not going to get theamount your body needs , trust me i have beendown this route a long time ago ,also from experience if you getlow on iron in your body to the point idid they put you inhte hospital and theintraveiniously add iron toyour system soundlike fun ? it wasnt ! it hurts!

You're going to have to make sure your proteinintake is adequate, which means foods like beans, lentils, cheeses,eggs, etc, and they're doing greatthings with tofu thesedays, I eat bacon, sausages, burgers, etc, that taste the same as themeat versions to me (except without that dead and rotting fleshaftertaste). I was eating things like clams andscallops without too much guilt, but the guilt iscatching upto me,so i'm stocking up on lowfat cheese and lentilsoup. I don't miss meat at all.

All the girls in our family are vegetarians,the boys stilleat meat, but we don't give them a hard time (other than the odd'ewwww!').

PETA is too radical, yes, but seems to be all we've got. Ipersonally value all life and don't really think humans have any rightto play god by pampering one animal and slaughtering another, butthat's just me.Our society gets outraged whenanother culture kills and eats a dog, but I fail to see the difference.

We've evolved as a species to the point where we no longer have to killanimals to survive. (Too bad the same can't be said forsnakes and coyotes!)I wish farmers would quitlivestock and go for crops like soya,flaxandlentils. Aside from saving lives, we really all would behealthier -- those are the healthiest foods, far better for you thanmeat, don't think there's much dispute there.

And Babbit? I think you're awesome. :) Bessie the cow and the bunnies thanks you. :)

SAS

you think people who HATE soy and the other stuffwill act. eat it?! NO! i would rather stick with MEAT! like Gyspysaid.. you wont get the amount of Iron your body needs from the otherstuff! you NEED it from the meat!

i think if they stopped producing meat (which they never will) i wouldraise my own meat animals and then eat those.. because i do NOT want tobe unhealthy ever again!

You can get the protein you need with a vegan diet, you can get the iron you need, and you can be healthy.

You Do Not Need Meat.

Sorry to yell ;), but this - coming from someone who does eatmeat - is too important a fact to overlook. I am not saying thateating meat is entirely bad for you. I am saying that meat isunecessary if you have a balanced diet.

Please stop jumping to the defense because someone does not eat the wayyou do. Please, everyone, don't condemn anyone else's diet andlifestyle choices.

Have we forgotten this is a bunny forum??

thank you everyone, everyone has good points. Ido not like the PETA, and i definatly dont support them, i just feelthat if i eat meat im contributing to one more animal being killed, andit sickens me, sickens me to the point i cant even look at meat. Myparents had spaghetti with ground beef for dinner, yet, i went and hada bagel, also my school sells salad boxes, so for lunch i will eatsalad, for breakfast ill eat my protein shake, and for dinner ill havesome sort of food hehe w*e i feel like eating lol. im going to getfresh fruits and make fruit salads, this diet sounds so good! im beingserious lol.

well whatever.. i still dont see why peoplebecome Vegans and Vegetarians.. its not a good idea i think.. thiscomment is what got me to be really mad "(except without that dead androtting flesh aftertaste)"

Pipp how do you know what that taste like?! have you act. gone and ate that?! i dont think so.

Meat is VERY good! esp. Turkey. and BBQ pork!

i eat BBQ with like EVERYTHING i eat.. i cant eat anything without that!

OK, I've read all the posts, and before I make any comments, I'll just say I hope I don't upset anyone.

m.e. is perfectly correct in what she says. I have been vegetarian fornearly 15 years, and I am perfectly healthy - much more so than when Iate a meat based diet. I don't take any vitamin supplements - there isno need as I get all I need from the dairy, pulses, veg etc.

Studies have proved certain links to various diseases through eatingtoo much red meat. We also have had the problem here in the UK of madcow disease (CJD) caused by eating offal products. It is said this wascaused in cattle by bad farming - cows (vegetarian) were fed diseasedsheep, which caused the disease in cattle, which then spread intohumans via burgers, brains kidney etc.

The main reason I went vegetarian was because of the truely terribleconditions farm stock are bred/brought up in. Many pigs,cows etc neversee the light of day, and battery hens is the worst thing I have everseen - once went on a school trip to see them and that sight will neverleave me! I know PETA are very radical, but there issome truth in some of theircampaigns.

I have had to put up for years with the cynical comments from peoplethat think vegetarians are "tree hugging hippies", when they show nodesire to respect our decision, and laugh at things we have thoughtabout seriously. Babbitlover, if you are considering becomingvegetarian, then beware of the cynics, read up on it and , if youdecide to go ahead, be strong and best of luck!

Jan

Back