Going out of town

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olliefolyfe

Reaction score
So I will be leaving tomorrow to go home for Christmas, and I will be having a friend come by to feed Ollie and play with him. Would it be okay if he only came once a day? Or will that not be enough attention? Just curious! Also, I know my friend will enjoy playing with him and he's really excited so I'm not worried about him not staying long enough to give him plenty of exercise.

I would think that would be okay, depending on when Ollie is typically used to coming out and playing. For example, my boys love to run around in the morning and at night, but in the afternoon they're more inclined to rest in their cage.

Just tell your friend to let Ollie out for a few hours to play. And to make sure he gives him enough food and water and hay. And of course treats!
I think Ollie will be fine!

Yup, ditto to the other posts. I'm sure that will be fine. As long he is tended to when your friend comes once a day he will do just great.
Enjoy your Christmas vacation!

Thank you for the replies! I told him that rabbits require a lot of food, hay, water, and veggies so he should be giving him all of that. :) Ollie is used to being out of his cage nearly 24/7 so I am worried he'll become depressed. His previous owners told me they never took him out of his cage though so he may be able to handle it temporarily.

One thing you'll want to tell your friend, is to keep an eye on your rabbits pellet consumption and if he's pooping normally. If those two things change, it will be the first sign of something being wrong with your rabbit. Also tell your friend not to give Ollie new foods that he isn't used to and keep an eye on the water level each day to make sure he is drinking. If he drinks from a bottle, they have been known to malfunction where the rabbit isn't able to drink water.

If your friend doesn't mind coming twice a day then I would ask him to come morning and evening if that is when Ollie is most active. Julie is most active mornings and evenings so I have someone come morning and evenings so she doesn't have so long to wait in between seeing someone and really to check on her just in case something was wrong.

Thank you so much for the suggestions! I will be sure to notify my friend. I am also paranoid about there being a fire at my apartment when I'm gone. :( I know it is unlikely, but it scares me that Ollie will be all alone.

Back