going away for a week

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butsy

Reaction score
im going on a trip for a week and my aunt agreed to take care of butsy for me .. i'm worried about her tho .. will she be mad at me for leaving her for so long ? any tips to make it easyer on her ?:cry2:cry2

I'm sorry I don't have an answer, I'm actually curious about this as well. My family is going on a week-long camping trip in August. A friend will be taking care of Shadow for us. He's here a lot and Shadow really seems to be taking a shine to him, but I'm wondering how the separation from us will affect her. I think as long as the buns' routines stay pretty much the same they'll be fine. I'm expecting that our bunnies will give us the cold shoulder for a while once we return, though!

Whenever I leave my buns with a bunny sitter, experienced or not, I make sure to leave them with a thick instruction booklet. It contains everything from Rabbit Care 101 to specific needs of my bunnies, and emergency contacts (friends who can reach me, rabbit-savvy friends, rabbit-savvy vets, and how to get on RO!). My booklet is something like 8 pages long now! What to feed, what not to feed, what is "abnormal" and "normal" behavior for my buns.... that sort of thing. The more your aunt can simulate their living routine during that week, the better. If they are being moved to your aunt's place to live, bring some of their toys and things that they like so it can help with the adjustment.

Finally, the buns may give you a bit of the cold shoulder for a couple days when you come back. My buns did that the first time I left them for 2 weeks. But they havne't "forgotten" you. They do give you a little bunnitude, but they get over it. Spoil them silly when you return ;)

My first bun is so used to us going away that he really doesn't care anymore! He's great going to a friend's house, staying home with the sitter, whatever. He's ok with it, so bunnies do get used to it. Don't worry, she won't hate you!

Just make sure to create a very through intruction packet to give your aunt. Will you be available if she needs to call? I always feel better when I'm accessible by cell phone if the sitter has any questions.

Prepare like crazy. Arm her with as much precautionary info as possible. Most important, make sure she knows what might be a rabbit emergency. But if she sticks to the routine and the buns don't get themselves into stuff they shouldn't, they should be ok for just a week :) And have fun being away!

My Gran has had rabbits all her life, but I still wrote her a huge instruction manual- exactly what each rabbit likes/dislikes in regard to food, handling, noise-wise, where they like to be stroked most. Etc. Every possible detail.
I think she thought I was really over-the-top, but I couldn't go away for a week without writing every tiny detail down.

Leave numbers for your vets, the emergency vets, a 'possible illnesses' manual with symptoms and exactly what to do in eat situation etc.

I am sure he won't be mad at you- when I came back my buns were just so thrilled to see me that I got showered in licks for about 20 minutes lol. And being pushed really hard with their noses and heads, which I assumed, accompanied by licking, was a really forceful 'i've missed you mama!!!!!'.

Wait til you see his little face when you get back- he'll look so surprised, and then just light up and race towards you.

Although, he might put on a show and turn his back on you a bit, but a big cuddle with defintely make up for it!! :D

Jen

Is there a reason she would have to pick Butsy up? I would just tell her not to pick her up at all and only pet her on the floor.

her cage is high up, there is no way to lower it . i guess i just never thought of this being a problem when i bought it ... i really regret it now . but i do not want butsy cooped up in her cage for seven days !!!!!!!!!!!

Can you teach her before going, how to pick Butsy up and move her out of her cage, and back again?
If she can observe you a few times, and practice, maybe you'll feel safer knowing your aunt can handle Butsy.
Or alternatively, can you set up a play pen for Butsy to live in while you're away? That way, there's no need to pick her up.

Or she could try to get butsy into the litter box and she can take the litter box out so she can exercise outside. But then you have to make sure she is let out in a safe bunny-proof area where butsy can't hurt herself or anything your aunt cares about LOL -- and then the trick is to get butsy back in! Usually when I have trouble with a bun, I try to trap them into the litter box and the quickly transport them using the litter box.

i will have to teach her how to pick him up and stuff, and i am liking the idea of setting up a pen for her .. i think thats what i'll do, thanks !

I like the idea of using either a temporary pen or using the litter box as a "space ship". Picking up bunnies isn't easy, especially for someone who has never done it, so I would definitely come up with a system where your aunt shouldn't need to pick her up.

well this is really stressing me out . i'm trying to find somewheres where they board rabbits . no luck yet . anyone know where in the moncton area?

Did things with your aunt fall through?

Do you have a rabbit savvy vet? They will usually board bunnies. Also, local rabbit rescues may accept boarders or suggest someone who will.

Leaving rabbits for a week really isn't a big deal. Rabbits are very versatile animals and will be fine under good care. I leave my whole rabbitry for a week-long vacation every summer, so here are a few of my suggestions:

1. No huge instruction manual. Trust me when I say that no one wants to find a big pile of literature when they agree to bunnysit. Chances are good that they will not take it seriously and won't read *any* of it, let alone the parts that are really important.

2. Have your aunt (or whoever is the caretaker) come over one day. Show her where you keep Butsy's food and how much you give the bunny daily. Also showyour caretaker how to clean the cage, and tell them how often you'd like it to be cleaned. At this time, if handling is necessary, show your caretaker how to handle the bunny.

3. Make up a short checklist for each day. Include what you discussed before- how much food, where it's located, how to clean the cage, and how many times. A quick list will be an easy reminder for the caretaker.

4. Let the caretaker know that if the bunny is not eating or going to the bathroom, this should be considered an emergency. Leave contact information of the vet you use, and be sure to specify whether or not you are willing to pay for vet care. If so, this lets the caretaker know that they can use veterinary assistance if needed.

Above and beyond everything else, remember that rabbit care and handling isn't a secret art left only to those of us who are experienced. Rabbits are a generally easy-to-care-for pet and should be fine in the hands of your caretaker for a week's time, if they're left with basic instruction.

I know it's hard leaving our babies for a week, and that most of us can't imagine that anyone would be able to care for them the way we do. But they'll be ok...really. There's nothing to worry about! :) You could even give your aunt the URL for RO so that she can come here with updates and questions she may have.

OakRidgeRabbits wrote:
1. No huge instruction manual. Trust me when I say that no one wants to find a big pile of literature when they agree to bunnysit. Chances are good that they will not take it seriously and won't read *any* of it, let alone the parts that are really important.

I'm sorry but this is a matter of opinion.
I'm not sure if it was meant to come out that way but it sort of hurt my feelings a little bit- implying my methods won't be 'taken seriously'. I'm sorry if I took this wrongly.

I would personally never leave my rabbit with anyone who I wasn't positive would take on every bit of advice I had given, and who wouldn't 'take it seriously'. Just my personal opinion :).

My 'huge instruction manual' was about 5 microsoft pages long. It included diet (which obviously shouldn't be changed drastically), routine (less change of routine means less stress to buns), which veggies give them runny stool, ALL emergency contacts, and maps to all local vets, signs and symptoms of illnesses and disease, and what to do in each case, where I buy my food/hay/litter from, how often to clean them out etc. and general daily important guidelines.
My Gran read it all, and I felt very comfortable leaving the buns with her when I knew I had given her all that info.

It's just my opinion, and what I personally would do.

Jen :expressionless

I'm sorry if you were offended by that, but like I said, I've had a lot of caretakers over the years and it's what I've personally found to be best. There is such a thing as too much information and for someone who doesn't have rabbit experience, a large packet of information can easily do one of two things:

1. Intimidate them and turn them off immediately. Or...

2. Try to take in all the information, get things confused, and not perform the job effectively.

This is not only true for taking care of a pet, but has been proven true in pretty much any case.

Like I said previously, rabbits are a generally low maintenance pet, compared to many. With simple instructions, the caretaker will be able to enjoy their job more and will take it more seriously if they think they have a handle on what's going on. Having lots of information and instruction thrown at them can easily intimidate.

I think most of us choose our good friends as caretakers and they know how much our rabbits mean to us. They're not incapable, and although we worry about our bunnies when we leave, we need to remember that if we're leaving, we can't control what's going on. I try to make the experience as easy and stress-free on my caretakers and possible and in return, I've had excellent results and happy bunnies.

jcottonl02 wrote:
OakRidgeRabbits wrote:

I would personally never leave my rabbit with anyone who I wasn't positive would take on every bit of advice I had given, and who wouldn't 'take it seriously'. Just my personal opinion :).
I agree with Jen. If a person can't or won't read 5 pages of information, then they have no business in my home, much less caring for my rabbits. For me, that's the bottom line.

Any decent pet sitter would appreciate a booklet that is carefully written for their benefit. It isn't meant to be "guide to everything there is to know about rabbits". It's meant to be a solid reference for when you are not there. The assumption is that you would have verbally gone over important details like the daily must-do's and how to identify symptoms of a sick rabbit. The written instruction is a fallback for them, not meant to be a step by step instruction..

Latest posts

Back