Glucosamine + Chondroitin Supplements

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PixieStixxxx

Reaction score
Is a glucosamine and/orchondroitin supplement ok for a rabbit to have?

I'm asking because of my rabbit, Sydney.. a stray little bun whom I caught 6 weeks ago. She had a fused ankle and an infected hip. Although the infection is cleared now,her fused ankle could cause longterm problems.

The ankle will probablybecome arthriticas she gets older.

There are some people who use glucosamine for bunns with arthritis.
I don't have any experience with it personally...but I have heard that in combo with a low dose of Metacam can have a positive effect!

The one lady I talk to(has bunn with arthritis) recommends 1/3 to 1/2 of a 250mg pill once per day. Some health food stores carry these smaller dose pills. If they don't have something in a flavor a bunn will take you might have to split it up into smaller doses during the day and hide it in something yummy! :)

Danielle:)

bumping this thread up, my rabbit has been recently diagnosed with arthritis and is now on metacam. I read some good things about Glucosamine + Chondroitin and I might try it to see if it helps with his condition. Can I get Glucosamine + Chondroitin supplements for cats and gave him less dosage? http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4293732 This supplement is available in gel form which makes it easier to mix into food. It also contained a bit of MSM tho. Is it safe? would appreciate any input. Thanks :)

Active Ingredients Per 1/2 Teaspoon of Gel:
Glucosamine Hydrochloride (from Shark Cartilage) - 110 mg
Chondroitin Sulfate (from Crustacean Shells) - 40 mg
Inactive Ingredients for Gel:
Chicken Flavor (Artificial), Corn Starch, Dextrose, Glycerin, Guar Gum, Kaolin Clay,
Lecithin, Maltodextrins, Rice Gluten, Silicon Dioxide, Sucrose, Vegetable Oil.

Latest posts

Back