Glad to ALWAYS be with my Pepper bunny :)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vona

Reaction score
Im so glad i do soo much reasearch on bunnies and spend pretty much all my time with my bunny. Pepper is about 8 months old now and we ran out of hay so on the way home i stopped at the one feed store on the way home and of course they were out of timothy hay. so because i had to i bought alfalfa hay i figured it would hold her over at least until they could get some timothy in. i was giving all 3 of them a little bit once a day. They eat there timothy pellets so i thought it would be fine. Yesterday started out as a normal morning, i woke up and went to peppers cage to say good morning to her and everything was normal...towards the afternoon i noticed she wasnt pooping as much as normal though she was acting completely normal eating and drinking regularely and everythin. When i picked her up to pet her i noriced her tummy was slightly bloated and i immediatly started to freak so i got online even though i was pretty sure i knew what was wrong. Keep in mind this whole time she was acting completely normal. so i called the same feed store i went to before to get her hay but of course they were still out. when i was there the first time they had told me they would tell whoever was in charge to order some and they get stuff in daily so i thought this was pretty stupid. anyways we had to go to like 2 other stores before we found it while i was there i also picked up some pineapple. we got home and i gave pepper some timothy hay and a little chunk of pineapple along with some pineapple juice from the pineapple. i gave her the hay first because pepper goes absolutly nuts when shes even a room away from anything that smells sweet or fruity and i knew shed ignore the hay...soo she ate her hay and then i gave her the pineapple, which she devoured of course. 10-15 mins later she finally pooped which had some softer stuff along with poops that looked as though things were starting to run normal...after hopping around for a good while her poops gradually became totally normal, and her tummy was soft again. So i assume that because i caught it soo early i was able to turn it around before things became too bad. i read if they are in pain they hunch in the corner and grind there teeth in pain...Pepper never did this she kept hopping around scenting everything and begging for pets and lovins. I watched her all night long she evern slept beside my bed in her cage. Shes got tons of poops in her litter box and all around her cage! she is still eating normal andd her tummys fine. i was so scared i dont know what id do if i lost her! once again im glad im a bunny nerd and that i know my bunny..... also was she in the beginning stages of G.I. stasis or was it something else? shes totally okay now sitting beside me staring waiting for me to quit typing so she can get her lovins haha .... i also want to say before i end this that if i wouldnt have been able to see results within the amount of time that i did or if pepper was acting different or if she was in pain i would have called the vet as soon as i could.

Sounds like she could have ended up in stasis, but if she was used to unlimited grass hay and was now only getting pellets and a little alfalfa, that would also decrease her fecal output. Any sudden change in diet like that can also affect their GI.

As long as an adult rabbit gets timothy pellets, any good hay is ok, including alfalfa. Just so they get enough of it.

I'm glad to hear she's better, but was that fresh or canned pineapple you gave her? Only fresh pineapple has the enzymes needed with stasis.

Latest posts

Back