Giving wrigglies water?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindseyandKen

Reaction score
Hi All,

Do I need to provide my wrigglies with any water now they're hoppingaround or is Blade's milk still enough? I'm scared to put a bowl in incase they fall in, and they'll never get anything from the bottle.

Thanks,

Lindsey xx

If you lower the water bottle some, or addanother water bottle but make it really low so that they can reachit...they should be able to figure it out. I think mine were older whenthey started using the water bottle though.

In any case, you're right about the crocks. I've had a reputablebreeder tell me that years ago (before she switched to all bottles) shecame home to a baby that had drowned in the water bowl. Apparently hegot in but couldnt get out. I wouldnt want to risk it.

Lanna

Lindsey, I'm sorry i'm replying when i dont knowthe answer to your question, but I was curious about something.... Howmany days old were your baby buns when they opened their eyes, and thenhow many days old were they when they started hopping all around?

sandhills_rabbits wrote:
Lindsey, I'm sorry i'm replying when i dont know the answerto your question, but I was curious about something.... How many daysold were your baby buns when they opened their eyes, and then how manydays old were they when they started hopping all around?
They opened their eyesat 11 days, and started tryingtoget aroundimmediately. They wobbled a lot, andthey're not 'hopping' as such; more a wobbly walk, but they go reallyreally quickly! Pewter was following the others even with closed eyes,so the instinct to wander around must be extremely strong! As soon asthey can see, they'll be off!

Wow! Rabbit babies must be incredibleover-achievers! So there's not much down-time from the moment that theyopen their eyes to the time that they set out to do all theirbaby-bunny exploring.... I cant wait until this happens at my house! Iguess until my Wrigglies open their eyes i'm going to have to becontent hearing you tell about all the adventures your little Wobbliesare getting into to.....

I have been using a low edged water crock for mybabies since they were born (it's for Fergi too). I haven't had anyproblems but I can certainly understand that they could fall in and notbe able to get out of a standard crock. I believe that when the babiesstart to taste real food that is when they will start to try the water.Somewhere around fourteen days or so.

Fergi's mom

Fergi wrote:
I believe that when the babies start to taste realfood that is when they will start to try the water. Somewhere aroundfourteen days or so.

Fergi's mom
That makes sense - thank you! I'll see how they do in a day or so - they're content with licking my fingers for now - cute! ;)

They quickly learn to drink from the water bottle (if they are able to reach it).

Our Dwarf Hotots have opened their eyes and left the nest box as early as 8 days!

All rabbits should have their eyes open by 12-14 days.

Pam

Back