Giving the babies away

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1234bunnies777

Reaction score
Unfortunately I do have to sell four of the kits because I only have room for two of them.I know that they are no where near ready yet because they are only 17 days but it has been on my mind a lot lately because I want to make sure i make the right decision in who I choose to give the babies away to.

How do I make sure that who I sell my bunnies to is responsible enough to take care of the bunny and so I will know that the bunny is having a good life. Believe me I have no problem with telling people that they are not right for the job! How do make make sure your bunnies go to the home they deserve? and should i check up on every once in a while?
because I am considering calling every day and if I like you weekly!!!

I want to make sure my bunnies get the best life possible!!HELP!!

You know... To be honest, you don't. You can do everything right, and still things muck up. Usually things are always good for a little while, it's further down the road that it often gets messy. Unfortunately, you really have little control once they've gone.

I know many breeders draw up a sort of contract and ask that the family return the bun if necessary... I have no idea how they go about enforcing that though.

Hopefully your gut instincts will guide you a lot and the people will be honest. I would have a good questionaire to see how much they know about rabbits, perhaps even draw up a few situations and ask them to react to them... There reasons for getting a bunny in the first place would also be something I would enquire about.

It's really tough. I had to scan people myself when I was doing my own foster/rehome thing and though I had many success stories, i had a few fails. I had to remind myself that I had done my part and it was the new owners that failed the bun but still, you can't help but feel responsible. You really need to be able to give yourself that credit or it will drive you to the brink of insanity emotionally.

i wish you and your lil ones all the best!

What I have heard other breeders do is compile a list of bunny care questions and ask them the answers. If they know most of the answers they are ok to sell to. Checking up is a great way to make sure they are healthy.

One of the ways you can ensure they go to a good home is asking a small adoption fee of $20-$30 or and maybe offering to refund it if they get the bunny spayed or neutered. I used to breed rabbits, there is no way to 100% ensure that they're going to a good home. You could offer to take the bunny back if it doesn't work out...there is no way to ensure it...but usually most people do. OR you could make them sign a contract that says they must return the bunny to you if there's a problem or they can no longer care for it. The other thing is are you capable to take those bunnies back and do you have the room for all of them at once? Just things to think about. :) I found a sample adoption form from a breeder if you'd like to look it over...maybe it would help you out. :) https://docs.google.com/document/d/1VtuSwxmbmSWWw-D3YdQjoybM_e9sIr1nttRf4CHMWjc/edit

I am in the same boat and our babies are around the same age :) I have one home lined up already. I have been emailing back and forth with this person. I asked ?'s and they checked out. I will be having her and her family(including her bunny) come to my house a week early to make sure it all goes right. I also asked what do they want in a bunny. I have one that fits what they want(can be laid back but playful). I also told them about this website and I hope they will join either sometime soon or when they get the kit. That way I dont have to email them. I did tell them I will send weekly up-dates as long as they send me some once a month when they get there little one :) Will they I dont know. I wont be to "pushy" though. I dont want them to stop all contact with me!!!

I also make sure to tell them if for some reason they can not keep the bunny they are to return them to ME not re-home them/

While you can (and should) make sure they are going to a good home, once that rabbit leaves your rabbitry you have NO control over it. You can make all the "contracts" in the world, but they aren't enforceable.

wendymac wrote:
While you can (and should) make sure they are going to a good home, once that rabbit leaves your rabbitry you have NO control over it. You can make all the "contracts" in the world, but they aren't enforceable.

That's so true. You can ask all the questions, request that if the new owners don't want the bunny to return it to you, check their homes (if they let you), give them tons of information about how to keep bunny healthy and happy, but once you release them, those bunnies are on their own. And you have no control over it.

Sad but true. You do the best you can and hope that new owner loves that bunny as much as you do.

K:)

Latest posts

Back