Giving Sub-Q fluids at home? (RIP)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunniekrissy

Reaction score
Do you need a specific solution to use as Sub-Q fluids or can you give plain water? I have some unused syringes left over from an antibiotic Slippers took several months ago.

She ate her dinner last night around 10 pm. When I got up today she wouldn't eat anything, her skin looked abnormally tight indicating dehydration, and her tummy was making very loud gurgling noises.

I've been giving her simethicone and lots of water and pedialyte orally, but I am wondering if Sub-Q would be better if I don't need a particular solution of fluid for it to be helpful/safe.

Thanks,
Krista

It is always better if you use a sterile solution. Most water has stuff like chlorine, ammonia and other stuff that might cause a reaction. Plus, bagged fluids have electrolytes that plain water doesn't have...and those are a very important component since if an animal needs fluids, they most likely need those electrolytes.

I would suspect any syringes that you used for antibiotics would be far too small for most rabbits. I generally use a minimum of a 30cc syringe (with a butterfly catheter in case I need multiple meds/fluids).

Randy

You do need a specific solution--lactated Ringer's solution, sterile saline for injection, etc. Things that are to be injected need to be very seriously sterilized, and you also want to make them have the same concentration of salt as is present in the body already--otherwise it can really sting, like the difference between getting water in your eye, and eye drops in your eye.

It might be possible to use water that you had boiled and cooled quickly thereafter, with the appropriate amount of salt added, but I wouldn't want to do it myself. You'd have to go "old school" medicine, like when they used to make IV fluids at the hospital instead of buying them and having them brought in.

If it is an emergency, you may be able to call an emergency vet and ask them for some. You could also call your vet and ask them to call in a prescription for it to a human pharmacy.

She had gone through a fair number of GI issues in the past and pulled through, and I thought with plenty of fluids she would get better. I figured all the vet would do that I couldn't do on my own if I brought her in was want to prescribe Reglan, as that has been the situation in the past.

It's sad how fast they can go downhill :-(

IMG_2412crop.jpg
Slippers

She really did get very ill very quickly. Usually we don't call it an emergency until the bunny hasn't eaten for 24 hours or more. She was really beautiful and I can see where she got her name. How old was she?

Oh, that's too bad. She wasn't that old. Luckily she did get to have a good number of happy years with you.:bunnyangel:

So sorry for your lost...:bunnyangel2: She was a cute little girl..
I know how it is my girl died in an hr. :bunnyangel2::pray::hug:

Latest posts

Back