Giving Petramalt to Hairy bunnies!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baxter

Reaction score
I am trying to give my AFL petramalt because I don't want her to get a hair ball. First off, is this a good idea??

She doesn't like the taste of it so I try to stick it to her paw so shewill lick it off and it gets all in her hair! Because she hasa lot of hair on her chest, it sticks to the gunk onher footand then she shakes her foot and flings it onto herself!! Ijust don't think it is helping the problem if she is consuming a wholebunch of hair while trying to clean the hairball preventer offherself!! Is relying on the fiber in hay good enough orshould I keep giving it to her!

Thanks!

Michelle

Rabbits just need lots and lots of hay to push fur through. I do believe that they do not get hairballs the way cats do.

I am going to go look for more on this.

Maybe someone with more knowledge can help.

The general consensus now-a-days is to avoid petroleum based products.

Hay is the best "intestinal scrub brush".

Pam

YAY Pam! :party0002:

See Pam is a smart lady.

Ditto to Pam's advice!:D

High fiber pellets are also a good idea, and canned pumpkin can be fed as a treat and while the rabbits are shedding.

Our rabbits eat lots of hay and fiber, but theyalso happen to *love* Petromalt. We actually use it now as areward or treat when they are shedding, but only in very small amounts(less than a half inch from the tube).

Jeff

Thanks. That is good to know because most of thelionhead breeders I know use the petromalt once a month or during amolt with their lionheads...just a tiny bit.

Peg

pamnock wrote:
The general consensus now-a-days is to avoid petroleum based products.

Hay is the best "intestinal scrub brush".

Pam

Latest posts

Back