girls getting spayed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindiwe

Reaction score
My girls are getting spayed in 2 weeks time. Is there anything I should think about changing in their cage? keeping hay off the floor? blanket over the newspaper?

thanks

Lindi

You will need to separate the girls after the spay until you are sure they will not groom each others stitches out. Other than that you don't want to use anything that will contaminate the surgical areas . Some people recommend taking out the litterbox and only placing towls or newspapaers in but I feel that if you keep the cages extra clean that that is good enough. You can put cages side by side or even use an x-pen to separate them.
the vet will tell you to keep them contained for at least aweek or so but that means not allowing them to run and jump it doesn't mean that they cannot move at all

Also, make sure they can't jump while they're in their cages. It's good to keep them nearby each other, but not together. I agree with everything Angieluv said. I would keep them on cage rest (no running, no jumping, only a 4-6 square foot area) for 2 days after the spay, and after that you can let them run around, but not jump for a week. Make sure to check the incision everyday.

Also, some good things to have on hand are simethicone, bene-bac, critical care, feeding syringes, pedialyte, canned pumpkin, and nutri-cal. They can help a bunny that's not feeling well and/or not eating.

do I really have to separate them? they're sisters and have never been kept apart for more than a couple of hours...And then there will be all sorts of bonding issues afterwards.

Is there no way of safeguarding the wounds? I read somewhere that you could use a sock as a body bandage to stop bunnies unpicking their own stitches - would that not work?

Lindiwe wrote:
do I really have to separate them? they're sisters and have never been kept apart for more than a couple of hours...And then there will be all sorts of bonding issues afterwards.

Is there no way of safeguarding the wounds? I read somewhere that you could use a sock as a body bandage to stop bunnies unpicking their own stitches - would that not work?

You could try leaving them together but only if you can watch them. See how they are acting and also just ask your vet. If anything can you divided their space but still interact.

Ihad a pair of sisters from the shelter who were spayed together.I separated them but then allowed them time together. After awhileI could see that they were not only showing no interest in their own stitches but also the stitches of their sister so I did allow them together without incident, however, you do have to watch them .I would say it would be unusual for rabbits to leave stitches alone

Latest posts

Back