gingersnap

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

recycling goddess

Reaction score
Well this isn't actually "our" new bunny... it'smy daughter's new bunny. We gifted it to her for her upcomingbirthday.We are a critter family... we have almost every pet youcan have except a dog. :pSo... after a few weeks of prep andlearning... we finally felt ready to bring a bunny home. Our choice...a little 9 week old holland lop. We heard this is a wonderful type ofbunny as a pet and she shouldn't get too large.We made a homemadecage... out of cubes and coroplast.

so a few questions. does it matter what type ofcarpet we use to cover the top two levels? or should we leave them withcoroplast? we thought it would be 'warmer' and more comfy with carpetover the coroplast.we have a few toys but obviously need to getsome more... and we are getting her a stuffed animal of her own as mydaughter doesn't want to gift her one LOLanything else we aremissing?

Awesome Cage!!! And she is just sooocute. I too have a Holland Lop and she's an absolutesweetheart. But then again, so is my Bandit.They're a wonderful pet. I am also new to the bunnyworld. (Got Bandit in Oct last year).

Looks like you have a great set up! So cute!! Can't wait to see more pics

Crystal (Bandit & Holly)

thanks crystal - i'm already in love with thislittle girl. we met her over a week ago but i told my daughter not to'fall in love' with her as we weren't ready for a bunny yet AND westill needed to discuss whether or not a pet which will live 10 yearsis a good idea for her. i wanted her to ponder the fact that she'll be18-20 if her bun bun lives a full healthy life.this was a bigdecision... but one i feel we've made with lots of pondering and not atall "oh cute bunny, let's take it home'.but again... i'm here tolearn... so if anyone has any suggestions about our set up... pleasespeak up :D

Well you made the first stepcorrectly. Definately not a decision to be madelightly. This site is just awesome for any questions orconcerns you have. I've learned more on this site then all ofthe research I have done on Rabbits. Wonderful peoplehere. They sure have helped me out a lot. So don'tbe afraid to ask ANY questions or concerns you have!

Glad you decided to make a cage for you bun. Has a lot ofroom! All the cages you buy in the pet stores are not nearlybig enough for a bunny. I made a NIC cage for my Bandit andhe loves it. Lots of room to roam and lay. Holly(my Holland Lop) will be joining his home as soon as she's spayed!

Welcome Again. Here's my Buns' Blog if you want to check itout. Holly will be a few pages in, since we just got her Jan.1sthttp://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=17754&forum_id=6

Edit: Oh and Sorry I didn't notice your question upthere. Didn't mean to pass by it. Anyways, Banditdoesn't have any carpet in his Cage. I just gave him ablankie he lays on when he feels like it. And I have boughtboth buns many toys, but the toys they like the most were free.

Holly's absolute fav toy is an empty Egg Carton. (Thecardboard kind) They love Paper Towel/Toilet paper rolls, Emptycardboard boxes. They also love the Soft Drink Trays you getfrom Fast food places or in my case Tim Hortons, that you put all thedrinks in for Take out. hehehe. All thestuff you can find around the house is what my Buns play with themost. They don't bother with the stuff I actually went outand bought them.

Crystal (Bandit & Holly)

good news. she came out of her litter box... hada drink out of her water bottle, a nibble of pellets and sniffed arounda bit before retreating back to her little box. i'm soooo pleased!

she is beautiful, I looooveee lops!! Her colour is beautiful reminds me of my first bunny I had when I was 4!!!
Goodluck with her, excited to hear about how things go with her! More photos too!!
:purplepansy:
Lara and Bangbang

crystal,i noticed your edited post. so you justgive them a blanket? can they move around okay on coroplast or is ittoo slippery for them?does it matter what the blanket is made of?will they chew it up?questions questions questions...oh and of coursethey like the packaging... just like babies. buy them a $50 toy forchristmas and they play with the box LOL

Yea, allBandit has is hisBlankie. He lays on it sometimes, but he usually just lays onthe floor. Rabbits don't need to be too warm, it's not goodfor them.

The Blankie I have is like Fleecey sorta. Not really fluffyor anything, and he doesn't bother chewing it or anything likethat.

Bandit used to have Carpet on the bottom of his cage before I found theCoroplast. And whata mess that was to clean up everyday,drove me nuts. So now i Have the Coroplast and it'swonderful. And he seems to walk on it just fine.Even runs around on it. Took him a couple days to adjust, buthe's fine now.

Hope that helps.

Crystal (Bandit & Holly)

I love the bunny, so cute.

I also use blankets. Usually baby blankets. Little fleece ones from walmart.

we just gave gingersnap two blankets. one icrocheted years ago... a little tiny baby blanket and the other is alight fleece one. one on each of the upper levels. ;)anysuggestions on how to get her to come out and have some cuddles? wewant to respect her by not going into her cage to grab her... but wewould really like to give her some lovin'.

and of course... leaving her alone and sittingin front of her cage worked... she came out for some cuddle time andinvestigating around. she's hopped back into her cage now and hopped upto the second level and is relaxing in her 'box'. ;) what a happy bunnyshe is.so... more pics!

I normally use grass matts or fleece blankets aswell. My girl will lay on the fleecy blanket, but my boyswill push is it aside to lay on the floor.

My fosters don't get blankies because they just pee on them, gross.... They are perfectly happy on the coroplast.

You bun looks quite comfy in her litter box! I just wanted tonote that you probably don't need quite so much litter in her litterbox. I normally just put about an inch in the bottom, thensome hay in one end.

Also, you may want to look into a wood pellet litter, it works betterthan any other litter I've tried. You can find it at most petstores and feed stores. Rona also carries a wood pellet forwood stoves called FireMaster wood stove pellets which are exactly thesame product as the petstore stuff.

--Dawn

I love that dish.

thanks dawn. i actually removed over 1/2 thelitter once i got her out of the box LOL i too thought it wasoverfilled (my son did it for me) but i didn't want to upset her bymoving her out.she jumped up to her higher level and peed in her'box' so i removed it and put in another litter box in it's place. sofar... all pees and poos have been in her boxes. so that's a greatstart!we got the dish from the dollar store...

Latest posts

Back