Giardia--How To Treat?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

massie777

Reaction score
We just got a rabbit that came into the rescue that tested poss. for giardia. We have treated her for 10 days with metro. and she still has it. wondering if anyone has any experience with giardia? please any info would be wonderful, just don't want this to spread to the other rescue bunnies.

since it's a water born parasite it will be hard to transmit. My only experience with it is having to use a filter for water while backpacking the last couple of decades. It was always recommended that you go to a doctor. Probably want to call around till you find a vet with some experience treating for it--never read up on treating animals for it though.

Giardia is one of those "tag alongs". Giardia is a protozoa. Metronidazole is an antibiotic and isn't effective against Giardia. I suspect the Giardia is secondary to a bacterial issue, possibly Clostridium or E Coli in the GI, and that is what your vet is treating. In an ideal world, the immune system would guard against Giardia and keep it in check. If there is another infection that is stressing the immune system, Giardia may make an appearance. Another infection is probably what is going on and what your vet is correctly treating so the immune system can recover and quell the Giardia on it's own. But to directly answer your question on treating Giardia....my preferred treatment is Ponazuril. A second (less effective) treatment would be Panacur.

Randy

Giardia cysts (like eggs) are shed in the feces of an affected individual. They then mature in the GI tract of one that ingests those cysts.

Well i talked to people at work...I work at a vet office and they said that my rabbits are just Elisa pos which means that they probably had Giardia cysts at one time, but now it is just coming up pos but they cant shed it. I think thats how it is. They said to treat with Metro. just to be on the safe side for about 10 days and they should be good. So I am hopeing that works...they are showing no signs of Giardia like diarrhea or anything.

I hate parasites because a rabbit could have no signs and still be pos for something.

Latest posts

Back