Giant rabbits

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Katt, not sure what you mean by this?:

katt wrote:
the only us breed that is a full arch breed is a brit, but they aren't ran on the table. . .they are posed upright.

But all your other full arch/running breed info is spot on!!

katt wrote:
but these guys are a great breed. i have never been bittin byone, never growled at or lunged at. . .they never mind being held, andare always ready to lounge with their owner. . . a great breed.

This is not my experience with the Checkered Giants. They don't like tobe cuddled or held and seem to feel as though being picked up is'awkward'. I've never held an adult Checkered like that lovely pictureof the flemish in ec's post. I am not sure if this is just the breed orthe way they are raised as most are raised by breeders who like them tohave that aloofness. I am trying to break the mold with my hand-fedlitter and testing my nature vs. nurture theory. Not sure if it willwork, as they don't settle down in my hands easily already and they areonly 3 pounds right now! Don't get me wrong, I am really falling inlove with this breed- but they aren't your typical Gentle Giant and theadults are hard to control if they don't want to be held (which is apain if you need to move them).

clarzoo wrote:
Katt, not sure what you mean by this?:

katt wrote:
the only us breed that is a full arch breed is a brit,but they aren't ran on the table. . .they are posed upright.
But all your other full arch/running breed info is spot on!!

katt wrote:
but these guys are a great breed. i have never been bittin byone, never growled at or lunged at. . .they never mind being held, andare always ready to lounge with their owner. . . a great breed.
This is not my experience with the Checkered Giants. They don't like tobe cuddled or held and seem to feel as though being picked up is'awkward'. I've never held an adult Checkered like that lovely pictureof the flemish in ec's post. I am not sure if this is just the breed orthe way they are raised as most are raised by breeders who like them tohave that aloofness. I am trying to break the mold with my hand-fedlitter and testing my nature vs. nurture theory. Not sure if it willwork, as they don't settle down in my hands easily already and they areonly 3 pounds right now! Don't get me wrong, I am really falling inlove with this breed- but they aren't your typical Gentle Giant and theadults are hard to control if they don't want to be held (which is apain if you need to move them).

it doesn't make any sense because i wasn't thinking what i was writing.. .what i MENT to write was that the only other US full arch breed isthe brit., but they aren't ran on a table, but posed. . .make any moresense?

and i was talking about flemmish gaints being gental. checkered as a fiesty. . . that is well known.

running breeds are raised to be a little bite more aloof almost ofpeople so that when they are on the table they will run for the judgeand not just sit there. rhinelanders are most likly the most docile ofthe running breeds and they can be a handfull themselves. runningbreeds aren't for everyone, but those who love them, tend to beaddicted to them. . .

a friend of mind has a pair of tans, she use to show them, but gave upbecause they were raised from 8 weeks on in her house as spoiledhouserabbits and have the personality of a holland lop, they have nospunk or interest in running on a table for a judge.

personally, from experiance with the rhinelanders, if you train themfrom an early age to run the table, then you can work with them atbeing nice rabbits instead of spunky little devils. when i hadrhinelanders my show rabbits were ran 4 to 5 times a week at least onan 8 foot table. my main show buck only needed to be placed on a tableand he would gracefully run up and down it without any direction atall, others had to be tapped on the butt to get them going and a handwaving after them to make them continue to run without stopping.

sorry to get off topic!

katt wrote:

it doesn't make any sense because i wasn't thinking what i was writing.. .what i MENT to write was that the only other US full arch breed isthe brit., but they aren't ran on a table, but posed. . .make any moresense?

and i was talking about flemmish gaints being gental. checkered as a fiesty. . . that is well known.

Ah, yes! That makes perfect sense, lol!!

I figured you were only referring to the Flemish- but since the OP wasasking about all Giant breeds I just wanted to show the other side ofthe coin in case an unknowing pet owner came across a breed theyweren't ready to handle.

I am glad to know you had success with 'gentling' your running breedswithout loosing their confidence on the show table. That is my goal. Toshow other Checkered breeders they don't have to be aggressive to begood runners.

ETA: I am getting ready for Checkered nationals in April- I hope tohave a group of pre-juniors and a group of juniors ready by then!!

Yes - I was referring to Continental and BritishGiants, Chinchillas, etc. - not Flemmies. Apologies if I didn't makemyself clear.

I'd love to be able to volunteer at the Giant Rabbit Rescue, but I'macross the ocean... Looks like it could be very interestingand rewarding.

naturestee wrote:
Actually, all theFlemish breeders that have been on this forum raised them for show andpets, not meat.

Tinysmom and Sugar Gliders have pet Flemish Giants, as do several othermembers who aren't here often any more. Carolyn has one thatshe adopted. Ayglnu13 has two, Dajeti had one, Jenniblu hadone.

The breed pictured is a Continental Giant, and there are only a few in the US that were recently imported.

Oh - Vic (Checkered Giant) on the WHRS page is beautiful! (Though i feel pretty much the same about all of the other rabbits.)

I'd like to bunny-nap that boy. :)

I saw those Checkered's in that WI rescue. Isure hope they adopt them out to families with rabbit experience. Atypical Checkered personality might be a little more than the typicalnewbie could handle!

I was truly surprised to see them in a rescue- they really areuncommon. I've got about the only ones in the Southeast, and they comefrom a few breeders in Iowa. It's like seeing an Irish Wolfhound showup in the local pound. Possible- but highly unusual!!

ec wrote:
A lotof the giant breeds are truly huge - seehttp://www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk/forpics and more.

here's a photo (real!) from their home page -

paul$26amberharrods.jpg
Youseen to have the rong website. You put 'for' at the end and itshouldent of been there.www.giantrabbitrescue.co.uk

OMG, it is SUCH a good thing that rescue isn'tin the US, I am totally in love with like three of those guys! I wishwe had more of the Continentals in the US, they are really gorgeous.

Anyone want a flemish giant???? Sam was a painall night. She weigh 14lbs, and is somewht litter trained. She isgetting alittle more friendly. Just let her come to you onher own terms.

100_4122.jpg

100_3530.jpg

100_3488.jpg

100_3248.jpg

100_4599.jpg

100_4588.jpg

67c9a7698e741879edb56405324632d0.jpg

100_1447.jpg

100_3255.jpg

100_3246.jpg

100_3245.jpg

100_2566.jpg