GI statis emergency

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toffeepal

Reaction score
i left house for 1 hour and as i entered the house, i caught my rabbit eating the last bites of a wafer biscuit. she also had eaten half a bar of milk chocolate, some parts of the margin of my hard cover book, and even a piece of plastic and oh my goodness! maybe even a tiny bit aluminum foil with the chocolate... i paniced and i started monitoring his pooping, drinking and eating behaviour since then.( 8 hours ago)

first i examined her appetite.she willingly responded to parsley and ate a full bowl of it.so i was a bit relieved. then i trusted giving her hay and she welcomed that as well. also she urinated and pooped some dark, small poops a couple of minutes after.

but i realized she's not drinking water and that she's sleeping a lot on the stomach and also i guessed she's having bloating as i assume it's visible in this picture.

as i dont have access to vet till tomorrow i searched and came up with simethicone and metoclopramide drops and i bought them from the pharmacy and then i syrenged her appropraite doses of both drugs and around 10 Cc water. also i repeated giving her simethicone for 3 times as i'd read in some places on the internet.
( it's been 3 hours since i've started giving her medicine )

her stomach started gurgling and it still is but i havent noticed any change or any gas coming out of her.
she still likes to eat things like parsley but havent pooped in almost 5 hours.

also i've given her tonnes of stomach rubs and i've controlled her body temprature by constantly touching her ears and i havent noticed any hypothermia kr fever yet.

also i think it's noteworthy that it's the moulting season as we're entering autumn in my country and by the way hays are not as tasty as they were in spring and summer and therefore, my rabbit tends to eat more leaves rather than stems which also contributes to a low fiber situation.

is there anything i have done wrong? what should i do now? how can i save my poor bunny? will she be alright?

Attachments

• 20230921_023239.jpg
    20230921_023239.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
She may not have been drinking because she ate a bowl full of fresh parsley. Fresh veggies are high in water content.

To me that looks like a normal rabbit laying down, not a bloated belly. A rabbit belly pressing from stomach discomfort, will most often keep shifting positions like they can't get comfortable. They may keep their back feet tucked under, have their front and/or back end pushed up slightly, to try and press their belly more to the floor, they may be tooth grinding (different than contented tooth purring) from pain, and very unlikely to be eating anything or very little.

A rabbit with true bloat will more often sit hunched up and not want to move, will be loudly tooth grinding, may be trembling in pain, won't eat or drink anything, and may sit over their water dish or have their paws in their water. It's very unmistakable when a rabbit has true bloat, as they are in so much pain.

If she's eating, she's likely ok so far, and I would suggest continuing to offer her usual veggies that she eats, maybe a little extra than she usually gets, and offer her fresh handfuls of her hay, along with having a bowl of fresh water for her. I wouldn't give anymore of the meds for now, as it's not usually necessary for a rabbit that's eating well enough.

If she keeps eating well enough by tomorrow, you may not need to go to the vet. And in fact if you don't have access to a vet that's a knowledgeable rabbit vet, it may do more harm than good to take your rabbit to an inexperienced vet. But if your rabbits condition has worsened and your rabbit isnt eating and is showing other signs of pain, then yes, your rabbit should be seen, preferably by a vet experienced and knowledgeable about rabbits.

Last edited:
Back