GI stasis

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiabia0

Reaction score
Continued from yesterday: http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=50509&forum_id=16

She's back to the way she was last night. After getting her 3 doses last night she was fine and eating and pooping. Today she was okay while I was at work and she ate and pooped but when I got home she started acting funny again. I've given her 2 doses of simeicone again. The vet opens at 7:30am so I'm going to take her in. Not sure what else to do.

Is she shedding and ingesting fur???
I would do the same as you did last night
and taking her to the vet is a good idea.

If mine are shedding and behaving oddI may get a fresh pineapple and start giving 2.5 - 5 cc of pure juice a couple times per day...sometimes i dilute the juice with water so it is not so sweet but just give a larger amount per syringe

if you can get fluids into her that should help some ..maybe pedialyte if you have some...

does this begin after you feeed her anything special ..like a certain green/?

She's been shedding alot so i assume she ingested some fur. i brushed her a few days ago and twice today. my rabbits get romaine lettuce everyday. she was back to normal 24hrs ago so its confusing. she ate her pellets this morning and a buncha hay and i gave her 1 grape and she ate that too.

Mine get problems like this when they are shedding sometimes no matter whatI try to do to prevent it.

not sure why it happened again tonight but she must want you to lose sleep 2 nights in a row,,,,
just hang in there ...

if you go the vet he may take an x-ray to see what is going on in her stomach and intestines

Well she certainly doesnt want me to touch her. shes breathing really hard. my other rabbits trying to get her to move around but obviously she doesnt wanna play with him right now. im suppose to work at 8:30am but ill be going in later of course. i just hope she gets better. i've lost two rabbits cause of GI.

Yeh that is weird , however I've had a bun with gas get one dose of somethicone and be normal just ashort while later sort of like night and day.

Wejust don't know what is causing it???

I agree, sounds like she's got a recurrent issue that could use some vet help. Hope the vet had good ideas for you!

I have similar problem from time to time with Black, but no hard breathing. I think it is caused by GI Stasis. He then sits still his stomach is out and he presses it on the floor and does not want to move. He would not eat or drink just wants to be sitting alone quietly. He only has it after a treat with sunflower seeds and also once when we put straw for his bedding and he ate it. Also it can happen when he is molting and also when he overeats. We try to eliminate things that can cause him problems. When this happened his stomach was not too hard though but he was just doing nothing no eating drinking pooping or peeing. Just sitting there with a bull face looking sullen, then in about 30 min he was ok again. We did nothing so far about it apart from eliminating things that trigger an episode.

That could be gas, as well as stasis. A lot of times, something can set off the gut bacteria to get out of balance, such as high-carb foods or high protein foods. The bacteria then produce a lot of gas as a byproduct of digesting these types of food. A few doses of simethicone should help, along with gentle belly massages.

It's definitely stasis. We went to the vet yesterday. I didn't even realize at first she's had it the past 3 years, all in September. I've been brushing her like crazy! She's still eating her food, as well as critical care cause the vet said to and she's enjoying it. She's pooping and she's also on cisapride and metacam. She's pretty normal to me. Just alittle stressed really.

Ok, that sounds good. I personally am not a fan of gut motility drugs (cisapride) except in extremely dire circumstances. They can sometimes compact all of the ingesta into one spot and cause intestinal rupture. However, once she gets over this, I assume you can stop with that drug.

In my non-professional opinion....the already administered doses of Cisaprideshould be recalled. I would toss that stuff...my opinion again. I don't know of any vet that will use those types of drugs in a rabbit. Too much risk for any potential benefit. Again, just my opinion, but I think many vets use motility drugs much more for a "CYA" than anything medically beneficial. It is well known to those of us that know rabbit GIs that those drugs cause very powerful and painful contractions in the walls of the GI. Works great in a human, dog or cat...but you are talking about very thin rabbit GI walls. In stasis events, the pH changes and can result in lesions...much like ulcers.....and that causes a much weaker spot in an already thin membrane. Depending on the location of an impaction, the degree of impaction, the location of any possible lesion and the severity of the contractions.....the lesion can perforate and that is the ultimatebad. I think that most vets will administer these drugs because it appears to be the obvious and easiest thing to do. If the rabbits survives, they take credit for being a hero....and if things so south, as they so often do with motility drugs, it's "you waited too long to bring in your rabbit". It is a "win-win" for the vet regardless of the outcome of the case.....and those of you that know me also know that I hold most vets in the highest regards. I have never used those drugs, will never use them and will not allow any vet to administer this type of drug to any of my rabbits. I learned many years ago that the perfect treatment for stasis is simply hydration. It has never failed me.

Randy

It stimulates the muscles of the intestines to move, which can be bad if there's something really obstructing them. Metacam is good if the bunny is hydrated as it reduces some of the pain in the gut from stasis, and may help them want to eat and want to poop. I'm sure Randy will add to this.

I decided I'm not going to give her the second dose of cisapride today and I'll call the vet in the morning. We havent heard of any recalls in this area. My rabbit is indeed eating, pooping and peeing so can't say as of now her systems funky if stuffs moving through still.. Im not sure what to do but I'll see what the vet says.

What do you mean recalls?

If she's eating, pooping, peeing, drinking, she's probably through the worst of it. Do you have any Bene-Bac? I'd give her a gram a day until she's back to normal.

Back