GI Stasis (what foods?)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlasM

Reaction score
I posted this in another stasis thread, and Pipp said it would be ok as a new topic, sooo...

Pipp, I will answer your reply in this post too but please feel free to post yours anyway because I found it useful. :) Thank you!

I just wanted to ask, as my 12wk old has just gone into GI stasis,should I only be offering him things like dandilion leaves and hay?I've got some stuff to syringe feed him, he's had an injection to try to stimulate him to poop and a painkiller/antibiotic shot. I just need to know what else is good to give him!

He's been eating lots of dandilion leaves and likes the stuff from the vet (I believe it's critical care, 30% alfalfa stuff,) but he won't eat as much of it as I'd like him to, so unfortunately I syringe fed about half of it tonight. I'll do the rest in the morning.

He ate a bit of flat leafed kale tonight, dandilion leaves, and last night he had a bit of carrot. I'm changing the water and hay daily and while he's drinking fine he has no interest in the hay and still hasn't pooped! Oh and he had no interest in the nuggets so they're out for the moment. But tomorrow will tell, hopefully.. fingers crossed.

Thanks for the suggestions and please keep them coming! I'll grab some pineapple tomorrow definitely.

Heh! I'll move my reply to this one:

----------------

This is actually a great topic for a new thread, I keep asking this question myself, but it's a grey area. (if you want to start one, I'll move my answer over).

For stasis, getting the bunny to eat anything is generally better than nothing. However, sudden diet changes and overloads ofproteins/carbs/sugars can upset the gut flora balance, so it's tricky, especially in a young rabbit.

People seem to have had great luck with pumpkin whether it's new or not.I know my vet suggested spiking Pipp's slurry with honey, and a lot of the meds are sweetened (although I don't know with what), so it couldn't be THAT bad in small amounts. Her favourite is oats, she'll eat them on her death bed, butshe's had problems with them before, so she can't have too many.I'll give her a few, but I'd rather syringe feed her the slurry.

I personally, treat-wise,stick with real fruit (watermelon for the water content, pineapple for it'smucus-busting properties, etc) and avoidcarbs (oats, seeds, etc), but if you're in the UK, a lot of the food there seems to be mixed with carb-heavy bits, anyway, so you'll have to play that by ear.

I'd say to try anything the bunny is used to is great, everything else, stick to small amounts.

Does he like the syringe stuff? (Is it CriticalCare?). If that's his main diet at the moment, that's best,but limited additional safe 'treats' are still great to get him eatingon his own again.

PS:Don't forget the importance of liquids/Pedialyte, exercise, tummy massages, etc.

Hope he's okay! :clover:

sas :pray:

Last edited on Mon Apr 30th, 2007 02:30 pm by Pipp

I would feed your bunny some pumpkin, some veggies bledned in a juice maker and syringe feed it. Give syringe fed food every hour, he needs the liquid. I would personally not give him the pain killers, because the pain killers make the bunny drowsy and dopy, and in this case you want to speed up his gut not slow it down.

Leo090 wrote:
I would feed your bunny some pumpkin, some veggies bledned in a juice maker and syringe feed it. Give syringe fed food every hour, he needs the liquid. I would personally not give him the pain killers,because the pain killers make the bunny drowsy and dopy, and in this case you want to speed up his gut not slow it down.

Very good advice!

But GI Stasis and Ileus are VERY painful conditions.A rabbit in pain won't eat.Sometimes some bunnies may lose their appetites on some pain meds, so you have to know your bunny, but in most cases if the bunny is bad enough to requiresyringe feeding, you don't have a lot to lose.

I'd be interested in more information about pain meds slowing down the gut. It sounds logical, but is this from a medical source? Which pain killers?

Any/allinfoon this appreciated!

PS: Don't forget Simethicone. I do believe much or most ofthe pain is caused by gas,so this will certainly help. (Again, as above,although someone posted that Simethicone, although an inert and safe drug, maypromote slight constipation, but the benefitsoutweigh the risks in my book. Justbe awareit'spossible).

sas :?

Pipp, I'm not sure about sources (no time to look them up) but some pain killers such as Metacam can slow the GI system, supposedly tramadol does not. It may actually be due to NSAIDS like Metacam upsetting the stomach even if fed with food. Either way, I know it sends Fey into stasis while many other rabbits do very well on Metacam.

PlasM, how long has he been eating veggies for? Was his breeder feeding him veggies? Has he ever shown sensitivity(soft poops, etc) to the veggies you are feeding? Sometimes baby rabbits are very sensitive to veggies which is why I am asking.

Did the vet check for an intestinal blockage?

I definately agree with simethicone, gentle massage, and exercise. Also, heat can make him feel more comfortable so give him a warm Snuggle Safe or put dry rice in a sock and heat it upfor him.

naturestee wrote:
PlasM, how long has he been eating veggies for? Was his breeder feeding him veggies? Has he ever shown sensitivity (soft poops,etc) to the veggies you are feeding? Sometimes baby rabbits are very sensitive to veggies which is why I am asking.

Did the vet check for an intestinal blockage?

So far he's done a manual check, feeling around and listening to his gut, and apparently there's no movement at all. He's a pet shop bunny,and he hasn't been given anything he hasn't had before. To be honest I hadn't really offered him any veg til he stopped eating, only a few leaves a day.

Still no poop today, he'll eat tons of leaves, he's had the majority of that critical care stuff, much to his disgust! I had him outside running around earlier and spotted some poo, but it had a bit of white in it, so I'm presuming it was from a bird. :(

I'm guessing today he'll suggest x-rays or something?

He's running around like a loony and seems happy enough, you wouldn't know he was unwell to look at him. It's really strange, and I've never dealt with this before. The pain killer was already administered in an injection so that's done with anyway. And he'll eat carrot and apple if offered, should I mash up EVERYTHING that he's eating or is he ok toeat stuff himself?

I'll mention simethicone to the vet today just to check it isn't going to clash with anything he'll have in mind.

Thanks soooo much.:)

Hi,

I would suggest getting a known fecal sample from your rabbit. You mentioned "white stuff". To a rabbit savvy vet, that is a huge piece of information. If that poop came from your rabbit and it has a whitish or yellowing mucus type material in it....it is serious and you should seek immediate veterinary attention. The condition is known by various names depending on the area you are in...and the age of the people discussing it. It is known as enterotoxemia in most vet circles. It's also called enteritis, bacterial enteritis,cecal dysbiosis and numerous others. It is an indication of an abnormal and harmful growth of toxic bacteria in the GI....most likely clostridium...due to thestasis event. Left untreated, the end result is many times undesirable. Ask your vet about using Flagyl. While using that drug is controversial in the vet community, we have has great success in controlling this condition. I would also be cautious about offering carrots and apples. Hydration and low sugars are paramount. One of the most effective ways of combating stasis is hydration via sub-q or IV infusions. Hydration is our first attack on stasis. I hope I am totally off base about the "white stuff"..but I feel that it is better safe than sorry. There is point of no return if this condition is the case.

Randy

Thanks very much, Randy, he has definitely just pooped in his cage, and I'll take some up with me. No white stuff in this though, but like you said, better safe than sorry!

Oh, and what's Flagyl?

So am I safe to assume I should keep him on green, flat leaves, and syringe feed some pineapple/pumpkin/this critical care stuff?

If so, how long should I leave it before I re-introduce the pellets?

He's only eating green leaves by himself so far.

The poo isn't totally normal yet, still quite soft and not properly formed.
The vet is happy with him but since we got home he hasn't pooped again... And it's been about 3 hours.

The vet gave me another pack of the critical care stuff, but said to go back onto a normal diet, and I feel a little reluctant to do that in case he stops again.

What do you guys think? :-

Thank you all soooo much, I've been going crazy over this and I've got a rabbit savvy friend and this place, it's all been an immense help,and you're all great! :D

Latest posts

Back