GI STASIS! MUST READ!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brookebunny wrote:
yes I have heard good things about Twin Oaks Animal Hosp.... I would like to read the article on wryneck.... please let me knowwhere i can find it.

At the top of the forum page near the right hand corner is a searchwindow, if you type in what it is and click serach. all old posts etcrelating to whatever it is you typed in will pop up.

That search button gets a work out from me I'm glad to see I haven't worn it out

I like reading through old posts and if I want to know something I usually search it first and see what I find .

But it sure is handy to have around (That button I mean)

*******he or she needs to get to an *-exotics only rabbit vet- *within 48 hours of the presenting problem*********

Hi Brook welcome to the forum ::

In all my years with manydifferent types of animals , What Iwould love to know is " JustWhere Does One Find An Exotics Only Rabbit Vet"? Did You Mean

an Exotics Vet Who also Knows and Understands Rabbits?

As far as I know there is No one Vet whodeals and treats Rabbits explicitly . Noteven all Exotics Vets handleRabbits .

brookebunny wrote:
yes I have heard good things about Twin Oaks Animal Hosp.... I would like to read the article on wryneck.... please let me knowwhere i can find it.

The results of her studies had been published in the Amercian RabbitBreeders Association "Domestic Rabbits" magazine. I'm notsure if the info is on-line, but here is an excerpt frombunnyrabbit.com:

Dr. Wendy Feaga wrote an article in Nov-Dec DR. I quote the treatmentshe gives: "Currently, I am using injectable prednisolone at a dose offive mg per pound which is repeated 48 hours later. This drug waschosen because of its rapid clearance from the body, and thereforeminimal long term depression of the immune system. I do not know iflower doses would be as effective. Cortisone also has the valuable sideeffect of increased appetite, which is helpful in affected rabbitswhich may be reluctant to eat.

"In conclusion, wry neck appears to be due to inflammation of the brainin 90% of the cases examined. Encephalitozoon Cuniculi (E Cuniculi)appears to be responsible for a majority of these cases, if not nearlyall of them. However, by the time wry neck occurs, the parasite hasbeen cleared by the rabbit's immune system. Since the organism is goneby the time symptoms are seen, there is no justification forantibiotics in the treatment of wry neck."

_________

Pam

I am sorry.... that was unclear.. Imean a vet that specializes in exotic animals... rabbits being a subsetof that.... Part of what has driven me to e so outspokenabout this topic is that I have been to vets who claim to knowrabbits... who I have later learned that they in fact know verylittle. I had one almost kill my rabbit during her diagnosisof G.I. Stasis. He wanted to keep giving her barium series and x-raysto solve the "Hairball problem".... clearly the barium wasnot helping, but making the problem worse. I just want people to beaware. i thought I was doing the best thing for my rabbit at thetime... I didnt know what else to do. Its kind of funny... idrive 2 hours in traffic to visit my vet... he is in Northern va... Heexclusively sees reptile and small animals... that is what i mean.

what i am saying I guess is research your vet...and just because he or she says that they treat rabbits does not meanthat they are good rabbit vets. And Yes they are very hard to find, Iguess I should count my blessings that I live within driving distanceof a very good one. I always take that for granted... When Ithink about it.. It took me a good 4 years before I found someone whoreally knew Rabbits... unfortunately it takes me 2 hours to get there

Another way to search for threads, if you knowwho might have started them or posted in them, is to click the username and go to view profile. From the profile, you can lookat topics and posts.

Jen

Jen, good idea, I took note of that when Carolyn made mention the other day.
Handy little thing huh .

You need to check yourself, Brookebunny, beforeyou come in here saying that there's misinformation about GI Stasis onthis forum. You have a lot of studying todo. This post is offensive.Our members DOresearch theirvets. If you had bothered to look orread before you write, you'll find we haveposts on justthatsubject. As to GI Stasis,asalready noted, this subject has been covered many times over and byrabbit experts, doctors, professionals, and people far more savvy thanyou claim to be.

I do not appreciate your coming into this forum and accusing ourmembers of putting out bad information without even reading what hasbeen written.

-Carolyn

brookebunny wrote:
I am sorry all... I did not mean to offend.... i know youare all good rabbit owners, and I really should have read more before ibegan to preach.... its just that i saw a posting with a response thatbothered me... I am so sorry to you all. I just wanted to get some ofthe info i have learned out there.:(

Apology or not, it still angers me that you come on here assuming thatwe don't know what we're talking about, put us down, and thenapologizeonly after you getcalled on the carpet.

-Carolyn

Latest posts

Back