GI / Potty Habits ?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid

Reaction score
OKay some of you know what we have been up to with Sloane.
She had this thing with peeing this the brown wicker basket only but we got that out and she started peeing a tiny bit in the two litter pans but not really.
I have puppy pee pads.
What I do in my living room during the day when she is out is take a chunk of hay and put it there so if she wants to eat and hang out it is no thing.
She can munch, pee, poop..and who cares.
She pretty much has from go. Pee, poop and eats on that pad.
She likes her pen though, I guess feels like safe in there an stuff but is getting better with being around us now.
However she has coccidia and all. We went Thursday to the vet and started SMZ TMP, Bene Bac that evening.

I'm wondering if it is like all these things at once?
Can the SMZ be making her feel bad for starters? I mean any med can make you feel like crap can't it?
There is the fact her tiny body is battling the coccidia too...
Buns are normally sleepy creatures during the day...

Take yesterday though right. We get her eating, romaine, pumpkin...meds were stressful but she is up, running, flopping, eating her pellets and hay on her own and you are like okay. This is good.
At that point I am not worrying about having to feed her myself or force her to drink you know?
She is going to the pad to pee and when she is there she stops to eat her hay and poops.
Now it seems rather consistent that that is pretty much where she poops.
She has had some cecal poops in her pen, some normal poops in her litter pans but not many.

She went in her pen at like midnight last night?
I got up at 8:30 at...
A few cecals in the pen and barely nothing in the litter pans. I could have counted them on two hands probably.

I cleaned up the pans, got the living room ready, her meds to go, washed her dished, put out fresh water and pellets (pellets were empty).
Got out a pee pad, put some hay on it.
I put some romaine and pumpkin (a frozen cube worth) on a plate...
I gave her the meds, showed her the plate...she ate it on her own.
She nibbled on her hay and has been on and off since.
It took maybe 2 hours after I was up to see 3 tiny poops.(10:30am)
Slowly the poop starts coming. 3, 6...8 pieces. More and more normal the more she goes.
Noon...I gave her more romaine and more pumpkin.
She turns around after eating all of that and eats some hay.
She has been eating her pellets on her own since.
She has started running up the couch, a couple of binkys and some flops.

She just dropped some more poo on the pad.

So she has med issues yeah. Coccidia blah.
But is she getting like potty trained and I am just not used to that too?
Have I trained her to the pad now more than anything?
I don't put the pad in the pen at night.
It has a plastic bottom and I worry about that.
I don't mind the pads. Honestly they are easy clean up.
I worry more she will tear them up, chew them or eat them etc. Which is why I use litter pans with yesterday news too.

She has hay in a toilet paper roll and also hanging from the suet basket off a nic panel right into her litter pan. She eats in from in the pan too.

It seems like a lot of things all at once to know which is going on. Or if it is all going on.
The other buns I had were never so...neat with poop or pee for that matter.

Thanks for your thoughts...and advice.

:thud:

Actually, if she truly has coccidia, and the testing wasn't incorrect, you should throw that basket out. You will never be able to get it disinfected. Hopefully you can buy another just like it, cause I know how attached she is to it :) Might also be worth having another fecal done when the antibiotics are finished, to make sure it's cleared up.

When to stop syringe feeding is tricky. You have to gauge how much they are eating on their own, and if it is worth the extra stress to attempt syringe feeding. But still ensuring that she is getting enough fluids and food so that things don't slow down again. It's really a judgment call that only you can make.

I also responded in your other thread. Yes antibiotics can upset their stomach and cause loss of appetite, and can sometimes cause a bacterial imbalance in the gut.

Some rabbits litter train easier than others. If you don't want to use a pee pad in her cage but think she needs something, you could try a towel(as long as she doesn't want to chew on it) instead.

Latest posts

Back