Getting your bunny fixed

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bunny_lover

Reaction score
I'v heard that it's a good idea to get your bunnyfixed. How come? My big boy Summer i almost 2 years old now, and I'mthinking of getting him fixed in the end of August or early September.I don't breed him, and is it healthier? are there any risks involved?Sorry I'm asking alot of questions...I wanna know for sure :p

lol. Okay, but my boy isn't agressive. He'sreally sweet, and gets along well with my other unfixed male. Also,he's extremely calm. He's a big gental giant. You can put him in yourlap, and he won't move. Also, he dosn't spray. He did a tiny bit whenhe was around 6 months, but by the time he was 8 months, that hadstopped..

Thank you! The reason I'm waiting so long to gethim fixed is because the neerest vet that will fix rabbits is REALLYexpencive. He's the only one around that will do it, so he charges abunch. I have to wait till after I'm done my Summer job :D So, it'shealthier to get them neutered? Thats good, then I'll do that!

Fergi wrote:
It is true that cancer of the testes is common inunaltered males so having them neutered can help to reduce this riskand help ensure their longevity.
All due respect but isn't this stating the rather obvious?How common is testicular cancer among "unneutered" male rabbits?

Has anyone had a rabbit die of it?

bojay wrote:
Fergi wrote:
It is truethat cancer of the testes is common in unaltered males so having themneutered can help to reduce this risk and help ensure theirlongevity.
All due respect but isn't this stating the rather obvious? Howcommon is testicular cancer among "unneutered" male rabbits?

Has anyone had a rabbit die of it?

Actually, my brother's bunny (Summer's twin brother) died from this. Itwasn't detected early enough, and he didn't have the money to take himto the vet. There are no rabbit vets around..

bunny_lover---I think that's great that your twounneutered males get a long great! I'm pretty sure that isvery rare, so enjoy it! But they could start fighting anyday, just to warn you...I've seen people write posts about how theirrabbits after even 4 years just start fighting out ofnowhere! I also want to let you know, that the older a rabbitgets, the more risky surgery is....so if you do get him neutered, askthe vet what they think about how risky it is for a rabbit 2 years orolder...

Good luck

-Vanessa

I think Summer is too lazy to fight, lol. Myother boy, savage, climbs on him, sits on his head, and pushes himaround. :p Yet, Summer is 10 times bigger than him. Summer could thumphim, in an instant. But he dosn't. It's really cute when they sleeptogether sometimes. Savage will cuddle real close, beside him. And thereason I can't breed Summer, is because I think he's too much of agentalman. lol.

The risk of cancer is a good reason to "fix" yourbunny. Also, there are other hormonal problems that canoccur, both behavioral and medical, in unaltered animals.

All of my bunnies will be altered. Basil is going to be bredwith Saffy in about 6 months, but after maybe 3 litters, she will bespayed and he will be neutered.

Jen

Are there not risks involved with getting "fixed"as well? I've heard of rabbits dying from theprocedure.I've seenstudies thatindicate females live longer if fixed but not for males.

Weighing out all the benefits and risks, where does onedecide? Will my rabbit die of cancer or will my rabbit diefrom getting fixed? What are the numbers/statistics?

I'd like to see some credible evidence that "fixing" a rabbit is abetter option than not. Please, anyone, if you can providelinks......

bojay wrote:
Arethere not risks involved with getting "fixed" as well? I'veheard of rabbits dying from theprocedure.I've seenstudies thatindicate females live longer if fixed but not for males.

Weighing out all the benefits and risks, where does onedecide? Will my rabbit die of cancer or will my rabbit diefrom getting fixed? What are the numbers/statistics?

I'd like to see some credible evidence that "fixing" a rabbit is abetter option than not. Please, anyone, if you can providelinks......
Well, the only number/stastic I know is that around 80% of unspayed, unbred females get uterine cancer by the age of 3 or 4.....

I feel it is kind to get a male fixed, otherwise, most often, they'dconstantly be searching for someone to mate with and go through a lotof sexual stress....I feel getting any pet spayed/neutered, if you'renot breeding them, is the right thing to do.

-Vanessa

When searching for a vet to do a spay/neuter, itis wise to look around for a vet that has experience with rabbits. Youshould ask how many rabbits they've performed the surgery on and howmany they have lost.
My rabbit was 4 yrs old when the shelter I got him from neutered him.The other male of the same age that he came in with was also neuteredwith no problems, but they were also both healthy rabbits.
If the only vet you can find is very expensive, you could try lookinginto the humane society, aspca, or other rescues in your area.Sometimes they have low-cost spay/neuter programs that they provide.

Nell wrote:
When searching for a vet to do a spay/neuter, it is wise to lookaround for a vet that has experience with rabbits. You should ask howmany rabbits they've performed the surgery on and how many they havelost.
My rabbit was 4 yrs old when the shelter I got him from neutered him.The other male of the same age that he came in with was also neuteredwith no problems, but they were also both healthy rabbits.
If the only vet you can find is very expensive, you could try lookinginto the humane society, aspca, or other rescues in your area.Sometimes they have low-cost spay/neuter programs that theyprovide.

There are no rabbit vets around. There is 1 vet, that said he would doit. I asked how many he had done before, and he said not many. Most ofthe vets around only do cats and dogs. :( And the cost is 165$ if youwant him to do it. The reason the price is so high is because he's theonly vet on the whole peninsula that will handle rabbits. Also, I thinkthat the neerest rescue is in Toronto for me..

coz ive just got my too girls do youthink if i dont get them fixed do you think they will fight?i amgetting them both fixed but i was just wondering!!

thanksx

MyBunnyBoys wrote:
Many people get their rabbits fixed to prevent problems suchas fighting and future health problems. Cancers are common in unfixedrabbits.

Also, neutering can help calm down agressive males, males that spray all over the house, and other territorial things.
Fixing some rabbits won't cut down how much they spray. I have a arabbit who sprays like crazy and even if I were to get him fixed he'dstill spray, though it may help the other ones who don't spray as much.

Some altered males and females will still fight, some may not afterbeing fixed, but there are some rabbits you just can't trust puttingtogether

Becky

Latest posts

Back