Getting started

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrybuns

Reaction score
So after this accidental litter and all of the research about what to expect when your rabbit is expecting I have decided that this is something I am passionate about and would like to start a small rabbitry. I always wanted to breed dogs "when I grow up" but then when I did grow up I lost interest in dogs beyond a pet.I have been in touch with a local breeder and she is helping me out to start with a trio of lionheads. We are just figuring out colours now as I am still learning the whole genetics thing and then I will be getting ready to make my purchases. It looks like I will be getting my buck from the ARBA nationals in May because Jennifer is going there and has offered to help me out in that way and then there is a doe from Hanna farms I am looking at (thank you Samantha) and another doe from Jennifer of Talisien. Wish me luck as I embark in this journey and I hope to continue to get advice and guidance on here. I joined ARBA on Friday too and registered my rbbitry Thomas Trio Rabbitry (it's what my husband refers to our three boys as)

Awesome :D Although the lions wouldn't have been my first choice, since they aren't recognized by ARBA and have had many set backs...but still, very cool. :D

Good luck!

I really want to see them recognized by ARBA as I love the breed and if I can have anything to do with helping towards that goal then great.

:) That's good. Find the working standard for them (if you haven't already), and always keep it in mind. The person with the COD for many of the colors failed a bunch of the colors at nationals...now they have to start over. :( So that really sucked and set them back alot. The type on the animals didn't improve among other things from the last year.

Right now, most of the lionheads I see look different. XD People need to get the body type down. I see a lot of BIG lionheads and the shape of their head seems different on a lot of them too.

So anyway, you seem dedicated! :biggrin2:That's what the breed needs. Some people who are seriously trying to improve them and get them close to the actual standard that is out right now.

I agree about the different looks, even the lionhead official site shows so many different body types that it is hard to nail down exaclty what is being looked for. I have been studying the working standard every day trying to memorize what I am looking for so that when I am shown what I have to choose from for my starter heard I know what to look for and I am confident I am getting it. It seems a lot of breeders have picked them up on the side and not taken them too seriously but I have a found a couple that specialize only in the lionheads so here is hoping.

Like I said in my PMs Kate Hanna is my very good friend and her lions where amazing and I know her new lines will be as well. She likes what I like in the lions, clean bodies including flanks, big manes, short and round with proper bone. None of this 4 inch long flank wool, heads and bone of holland lops, flemish giant ears, or french lop bodies or Tan bodies.

Everyone is wanting color with LOTS of wool... that is not how it should be. I am trying to gather a few lions and work from them. Steffi lacks length in her mane but has a nice thick one with a totally clean body, Nikki has long mane, clean head, width and length of body, and the new doe has THICK long mane, great body and clean head. Work on mixing everyone together for a proper lion.

Even in breeds like Holland Lops there are various types. The square "bulldog", the more slanted ones, ect. I perfer the square bodies on the hollands where as I like the slanted more flowier body on a Lionhead. With the Lionheads there is more give on what is ok and what is not which is good and bad.

Samantha could you put in the good word for me with Kate I know she isn't really planning on selling right now but getting a doe from her would be great! I hope I can come to you for advice about things along the way.

Sure, sure :p If I can catch her online I will say something. I think she plans on growing out litters before selling but she might sell one sooner. I will see.

My PM box is always open, as is my cellphone.

Misty, that was m biggest dilemma when I decided I wanted to breed. I had three different breeds and loved all three but for me space is of an issue and I don't want to end up with too many right away. What won me on the lionhead oddly enough is that over the last month Jasper has lost most of his mane and I want to work on improving the breed so that doesn't happen anymore.

My friend has some nice ones. lol I got a teddy from her. XD Her's come from the better lines around here and she works really hard on them. She also always seems to be supplying the standard at the shows. hahaha

I love to see her work at it and I'm glad you are going to as well. :D

I've been lucky enough to find a breeder that has imported quiet a few from some great lines in the states so hopefully that helps. I am aiming for lilac torts among others and they are super hard to find in Canada so that will be what my lines focus will be.

Latest posts

Back