getting started on show rabbit breeding for 4-H?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ollie.Edison.

Reaction score
Hello!

I have been wanting to breed rabbits for 4-H for a while, and I feel like I am now ready to get started. I am not very educated on how 4-H works- especially with rabbits. I was hoping that there would be some people on here who are experienced with breeding rabbits for show and 4-H, and I would really appreciate some info on how to get started. I am wanting to breed either angoras or holland lops, but I haven't adopted a doe or buck yet. I would also love to sell kits as well, and I was wondering it is possible to breed rabbits for show and to sell? I am very new to the whole rabbit breeding thing, and have only spent the past week informing myself on breeding rabbits, but I would love to get some advice from someone with lots of experience. Is it worth it to breed rabbits for show or is it better to just breed them for pets? Thanks :)

I was also wondering on how I can find purebred and pedigreed does and bucks to adopt for breeding? I live in Colorado (in the US), but am willing to travel to get rabbits. Does anyone know how and where I can get the rabbits? I don't want to adopt kits because I want to make sure the rabbits are show quality.

Last edited:
Have you researched the breeds you’re interested in? There are a lot of breeders doing Hollands so it would be easier to find a trio, but good quality can be expensive. Angoras are a more high maintenance breed because of their hair.
I would suggest you go to the ARBA website and look for rabbit shows coming up in your area. Visit a show and talk to the breeders of the ones you’re interested in. You’ll learn a lot from them. You can also contact the local 4-H group and get some specific info on showing in 4-H.
Most breeders show rabbits not to make money (because most don’t) but because they enjoy it. While we were showing most of the ones we sold went to other breeders, very few were sold as pets.

Back