Getting Spayed Tomorrow

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlutterShy

Reaction score
My baby girl, FlutterShy, is getting spayed tomorrow. I'm a bit nervous, any tips you could share that might make things more comfortable for her?

Good luck! Just keep her area sparkling clean and confine her to her cage with ramps/levels taken out so she can't jump and tear her stitches. And make sure she eats and drinks within 12 hours of her surgery. Not eating for many hours is a sign of pain and an emergency.

Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure to remove her second level :nod .

When you pick her up, it might be a good idea to ask how long her pain meds should last, and see if you need to ask for any more if they wear off soon. I haven't had my girl spayed yet, but when my boy was neutered they'd given him pain meds that were supposed to last for 12-24 hours (can't quite remember, sorry) so I didn't need to get more. I also bought some critical care and got some syringes, just in case I did need to syringe feed, but thankfully Felix started eating again as soon as we got home.

It's a nice idea to surround her with her favourite foods, to encourage her to eat anything. She might not be interested in hay, but enticing her with some nice wet leafy greens or a small piece of fruit might get her to start munching.

:pray: Good luck!

Here's are some basics

1. Keep her warm. If she is outside, bring her inside for at least 7 days. She will be very cold when you bring her home because of the anesthesia.

2. Medication - I would ask your vet for at least a 1 week supply for pain meds.

2. Area has to very clean. She is going to hen on her stitches, so to prevent infections made sure to vacuum and clean their area when she's at the vet.

3. Take out all levels. You are going to need to keep the levels out for at 7 days.

4. Provide her a water bowl instead of a bottle and keep it close to her. You want to get her to drink as soon as possible.

5. Surround her with her favorite foods. Kinda make a semi-circle with her favorite food within reach from where she is hening. Getting her to eat will be the trickiest part, but also the most important.

6. First 12 hours - she will not be your happy cuddly bunny for the first few days. She will not move much, be friends, or react to you so what do ever. Leave her alone unless you are administering meds, checking the surgical site or trying to get her to eat.

7. After 12 hours - You will need to monitor her eating, drink, and poo for the next few days. If she didn't eat anything you left out, try waving the food in front their face. They should get annoyed so much they eat it. Check the surgical site and make sure everything looks ok.

If everything goes well, she will shows signs of recovery around day 3.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the tips!!!

I was going crazy this morning going through the forums and actually found some of your replies Bellaterra from other post which were very helpful!

I can't wait to pick up my girl in a few hours. Going to start cleaning and making sure everything is spotless.

I totally know what you are going through. I went through the same with my first buns; trying to collect information bit by bit is frustrating. Don't be afraid to reach out for help if you need it. =)

She did great during the surgery! Was picking at the stitches, so had to take her back in Friday to the Vets office, but the vet said that it was healing well. Just put some sort of glue on the area to make sure it stays close.

BTW, any idea as to when i can start trying to bond her with my other rabbit? I don't know if the other rabbit is a boy or a girl, so i'm not sure when its safe to get them together after her surgery. The other rabbit is a baby she had 2 months ago. I plan on getting it spayed/neutered as soon as about 6 months.

Have the mother and baby bunny been together the whole time up to the surgery? If they have, I would try to put them together after FlutterShy recovers, but I would definitely stay and watch. I really have no experience with mother/baby relationships. Maybe a breeder can chime in on that.

Right before the surgery I separated them by putting a divider in the cage because the mom kept trying to hump the baby.

I tried yesterday again and the mom is still trying to hump the baby. She does lick the baby which is really cute, but don't know about the whole humping thing, LOL.. Its just be her trying to establish dominance.

I would wait a few more days for the surgical site to heal before putting them together. Wednesday at the earliest, IMO. If the other bun doesn't hinder the healing process, it should be ok, but keep watch to make sure. The humping will subside and as long as it does not lead to a fight, let them work it out.

Yeah it's normal to worry. When miyo got spayed I was a total paranoid parrot for a week, rushing to meet her every need and always scrutinizing her scar for any tears. I think I annoyed her more than her cage confinement did!

LOL....I went as far as telling my bf that we were required to watch her for the first 48 hours...straight. We took turns sleeping and watching for my first spay. It was nuts...ok I was nuts, but lesson learned. omg the things we do for the buns.

Latest posts

Back