Getting spayed/nuetered

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheyAutRanch

Reaction score
I"ve never had a bunny fixed (these are my firstbunnies since I was a kid, and had no idea you get bunnies fixed backthen...). Have had many dogs and cats done...

Monday I"m calling some vets that are on a local rabbit rescue'swebpage. I THINK I read somewhere about something being different withbunnies... maybe it was that food should NOT be withheld?

Is there something I should ask the vets? Other than if they fix bunnies and if they're experienced at it, of course...

I have 4, would like to get them all done at once... will they need tobe kept separate from each other after, or can they be in pairs? I'msure they'd be MUCH happier with their special buddy!

I'm sure limit activity for a few days after, like you do with dogs/cats?

Thanks for the help! :)

Jessi

I've been asking a lot about this too, because I'm getting my 2 girls spayed very soon, so here's what I've picked up so far...

Definitely bunnies have to have food before the op, and you must leavefood with the vet to give to them soon after, they have to eat rightaway.

Here's a link to questions to ask a vet

And yes, it's better to have them go in together in the same carrier ifthey are bonded, it can bring their bond closer and it's much nicer forthem in recovery as you would imagine.:)

After the op, boys are usually active and back to themselves reallyquickly again. Girls are a bit different, they should be kept inside ifthey aren't already for a few days, in an area where they can't jumponto anything, because a spay is a much more invasive surgery. You haveto keep a close eye on them and make sure they are eating well.

Hope that's helped a bit!:D

Michaela already gave you some great information!

Are the buns already living together and bonded? That wouldbe the only time I would send them in the same carrier. Otherwise there is the possibility of fighting while they're trying to heal,which wouldn't be good. So if they are already livingtogether, then definitly send them in the same carrier, otherwise keepthe apart till they are fully healed.

Sometimes the front desk staff is not as knowledgeable as thevet. So I would call around to a few offices, ask to speak totheir bunny savvy vet when he/she has some time. Leave yournumber and a couple good times to call you, and the vet should call youback. Then you can ask the person in charge all thequestions, and base your answers offf them.

Have you seen our lisiting of rabbit savvy vets? If non ofthem are close to you, and you find a vet not on our list, please letus know so he/she can be added!
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11834&forum_id=9

--Dawn

Thanks to both of you! I'll check out the two links provided, I appreaciate it :)

Well all 4 bunnies really like each other, they lay in what I call abunny puddle.... all 4 jumbled close together, heads resting on eachother, it's cute. So should I send all 4 together, or split into twogroups? Freckle and Toast are pretty bonded together since I had themfirst, and Popcorn and Butterfly just love each other... but really,they all get along, they all groom each other, it's so cute :) So Idefinately want to get them fixed asap so I don't have to seperateanyone! But I wasn't sure if they should be in pairs for recovery?

Jessi

You are very welcome, I'm always happy to help out a new member with questions (and I'm sure Dawn is too:))

If I had 4 bonded, I would have them all done at the same time, notsure if I'd put them all in the one carrier, I guess it depends on howbig the carrier is. That's your own choice really.

Also, I was wondering if your bunnies are boys or girls? And how old are they?

Michaela wrote:
Also, I was wondering if your bunnies are boys or girls? And how old are they?
That's what I'm wondering. No matter what, you need to separate theboys and girls. A doe can get pregnant as early as 12 weeks old(although I do remember a story of a 9 week old getting pregnant!).Even once the boys are neutered, it can take up to 6 weeks for them tobe infertile.

Don't feel bad, this is a mistake a lot of people make. I just wantedto warn you before the number of bunnies you have quadruples!

(Oh and keep in mind there is always the potential for fighting,especially between the males, once they hit the teen years. Neuteringdoesn't always prevent this but sometimes it helps. My bucks used to behappily bonded but started fighting at 11 months old and I have neverbeen able to rebond them.)

I THINK Toast and Freckle are boys. Freckle is 9weeks, and I think Toast is about the same. The other two, I"m not sureon their gender, they wouldn't hold still for me to check, and theyhave a lot of fuzziness so that was too hard to tell. They're younger,but I"m not sure by how much.

Jessi

Ah, well they won't be able to be fixed until around 5 months.

Is there a breeder nearby you that would be able to tell you the sex?Or a vet? They really need to be split into same-sex groups prettysoon.:)

I gotta wait that long? :(

I can check them, I just need the two new ones to relax around me alittle bit more... especially Popcorn... I tried right after I got themhome, and that probably wasn't a good time for them! But I'll trytoday... should be able to with Butterfly, she's pretty relaxed aroundme now.

Jessi

Yes, unfortunately they can't do spay/neuter asearly in rabbits as they can in cats. If the vet iscomfortable with it, boys can be neutered as soon as their testiclesdrop. But like MBB said, they'll still have living sperm for4-6 weeks after the neuter. They usually prefer to wait tillat least 5 months to spay a girl because the surgery is more difficultif her reproductive organs haven't fully matured, but some will dosmall breeds at 4 months because they mature faster.

Can you get an appointment to get them sexed with a vet? Oris there a rabbit rescue or good breeder nearby that might be able tohelp you sex them?

Ok, Popcorn and Butterfly were much more relaxedaround me today, so I was able to find out... they're girls! So I guessI gotta separate them from Toast and Freckle :( Oh well, someday (afterhealed ect from surgeries), they'll meet again!

Jessi

Is there anyway you could house them reallyclose to each other?? That way it's more likely they'd keep theirbonds:D, also, you can't be 100% sure at this stage, it's difficult totell the sex when they are young unless you're experienced.

If they can't jump after their surgery, whatabout a 3 floor nic cage?? Do I have to rearrange theirhome? I have two girls I want to get spayed ASAP.Seems like it would be very upsetting to change theirhousing. Especially since the top floor is where they receiveall snacks.

I didn't change my housing when my girls wherespayed. If they felt up to jumping, then they did.Most stayed down on the ground for about a day, then where back tonormal after a few days.

I would just leave the cage as is.

If you are really worried, then block of the upper levels so they can't jump up.

--Dawn

Latest posts

Back